Tac0cann0n

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I've been creating videos for a few years now, and it's gotten to the point where I am comfortable editing videos and adding my own personal twist to them. The question I have though is this;
How much editing is too much editing?

I want to create my content to be as entertaining as possible without coming off as trying to hard to be funny or entertaining, while at the same time retaining those same viewers. I don't want to shower my videos in edits that actually take away from the gameplay I am trying to showcase.

Let me know what you think! I'd love to hear feedback if any of you have some to give me!

Kristeen

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I feel if you're relying on editing to deliver humor when there isn't anything really funny to point out, then that would be over the top. If the editing is merely supplementing something that was already quite funny, then I think that's fine. A bit subjective but that's usually what I think when it comes to videos.

One constructive criticism I could give on your content, however, would be to figure out the pacing. Based on the few videos I watched, it took a while before another joke came in. If you're focusing on delivering the funny parts of your gameplay, then make your content more like highlight-type videos. Since your videos would be quite short in that case, you could pretty much go crazy with editing. If you'd like your videos to be long-form and commentary-centric, then minimize the edits and let context create the humor in your videos.

Reactions: Tac0cann0n

Daisyah

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If you feel like you've done too much tbh. If you edit and you feel really good about the video so be it, post it. Editing is what really makes or breaks the video, so if you feel like it's not how you want it then dial it back. It might just be me I am kinda a perfectionist. Anyways, definitely focus on edits!

WolfWraith

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Watch the video in passes, if you can. I dunno how you do it, but I advise just watching it full screen, the reason why is there's less distractions like the timeline bar to focus on. I find that if I watch the video in full screen or focus purely on the video, the "right" edits come to me a lot better and more naturally. It's a bit harder for me cause I zone out uncontrollably at times but you might find situations where you're watching and for a portion of the video you're bored, that's a good sign to remove that portion. You mind find a situation where you think adding some text or a special effect, sound effect, music etc... might work in a certain portion of the video. If you're not setting out to create a film or some hollywood level movie/tv show, don't force it.

General rule of thumb: if you wouldn't watch it, your viewers won't.

TechSpotJosh

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I've been creating videos for a few years now, and it's gotten to the point where I am comfortable editing videos and adding my own personal twist to them. The question I have though is this;
How much editing is too much editing?

I want to create my content to be as entertaining as possible without coming off as trying to hard to be funny or entertaining, while at the same time retaining those same viewers. I don't want to shower my videos in edits that actually take away from the gameplay I am trying to showcase.

Let me know what you think! I'd love to hear feedback if any of you have some to give me!
I don't think you can ever have "too much editing." There is probably almost always something you could have tweaked to improve your video's end product. The important thing is meeting your deadlines and being okay with "good enough." I personally set deadlines for each sequence of me weekly project and attempt to meet them. Any extra free time I have goes into polishing these sequences before my final export.

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Hmmm editing. Well here's what I've discovered over the last 7 months of my youtube life. Firstly I used to think that moviemaker was acceptable for editing and that my early videos were great.....they weren't and no....moviemaker isn't acceptable to edit with haha. It's ok for the home movie enthusiast but good editing software is key to good editing. I know you didn't ask about software but I'm just throwing that in there.

Editing itself should always be an extension of your own flair and creativity, and be an ancillary to your already great personality. It should also be a tool to cut out nonsense and to also add panache to a video. I heavily edit in terms of cutting out rubbish like me stirring a pot for 5 minutes and swearing at the camera not focusing. Everything else is there to make thins more professional. I find music helps convey my message and also highlights certain scenarios better (like when I'm being a total idiot) but that will differ depending on what you like. Buy yeah basically, cut out the long drawn out stuff no one wants to hear or see, and use the editing tools to give some panache to your videos. Other than that it should always be about YOU and what your video is about. Hope that makes sense it's been a long morning

Dismal Bliss

www.BDRC.tv
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Is there a such thing as over editing? Perhaps. I know that with some videos I spent countless hours editing my footage, and boy does it feel like a ton of work. But at the same time I love the editing process, as it allows me to be creative. I simply won't upload a video until I am happy with it, and sometimes this means re-shooting parts of it even after editing has begun.