500 Subscribers???

AlmightySTAR

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So in order to change your YouTube Channel Name, you must have 500 subscribers?

HariusAwesome

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Not exactly.

When you reach 500 subscribers, you can set a custom URL; that is to say, you can set a link like youtube.uk.ir.co.uk/thisismychannellovemeinternet that will redirect to your channel page. It's a somewhat recent feature, which is why I have a custom URL myself without the number of subscribers because I set one before they brought the feature in.

tl;dr: once you reach 500 subscribers you can set a custom channel URL. To my knowledge, you can change your "name" any time.

Reactions: AlmightySTAR

RichGuitarGamer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
you can change your name once i believe, but custome url is something the youtube team will give you once you meet certain criteria, not necessarily the sub count - could be monthly views likes comments etc

Topknot

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
You can change your channel name, without having 500 subs, that's what I did. A custom url, well I'll need to get to 500 to see for myself.

HariusAwesome

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
you can change your name once i believe, but custome url is something the youtube team will give you once you meet certain criteria, not necessarily the sub count - could be monthly views likes comments etc
I think you can change your YouTube channel name more than once because it's linked to Google+. I was wrong earlier; when I checked a few months ago it was five hundred but they appear to have lowered it to 100 to get a custom URL. You do also need to be at least thirty days old and have channel art and all that, and you also can't get one unless you're in good standing.

Topknot

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I think you can change your YouTube channel name more than once because it's linked to Google+. I was wrong earlier; when I checked a few months ago it was five hundred but they appear to have lowered it to 100 to get a custom URL. You do also need to be at least thirty days old and have channel art and all that, and you also can't get one unless you're in good standing.
Awesome! Informative post :D

Juzey

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Yep, as you say, the requirement for a custom URL is now 100 subscribers.

HariusAwesome

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Yep, as you say, the requirement for a custom URL is now 100 subscribers.
Indeed - I think it's a step in the right direction, setting it at 500 subscribers is kind of pricing certain YouTubers out of the market. Of course, you also can't just let anyone do it because then all the URLs would get taken, so I think this strikes a reasonable balance.