Whats the secret to YouTube success?

You see, youtube is part of the internet, and the internet is this big spherical mound of mess that consists of such things as articles, videos, pictures and p**n, mostly p**n, and in order to become successful with any of these stuff, something "viral" has to happen, and that is only decided by the Lord of the Internet, an entity that can only be described as the pure extracted essence of insanity, who roams this big spherical mound of mess.

The chaotic planet exists in its own spacetime, continuously being bombarded by garbage, some more shiny than the rest, and some are really shiny.It just so happens that the lord of the internet really really likes shiny things. As those things litter the internet "planet", he becomes attracted to the shiniest thing he can find, then decides to pick one up and turns it into a bright luminous monument that really stands out among all other garbage on the internet. Now because the internet continuously gets bombarded, unselected garbage can be covered by other future garbage, which dims its "shininess", becoming less and less likely to be picked by the lord of the internet.

Now because the lord of the internet is kind of crazy, being the pure extracted essence of insanity and all, he'll sometimes dive inside the planet's interior, maybe all the way to the core where it all began, pull some random piece from it, like "My cat plays the piano", and thrusts it upwards on to the internet's surface to become its own shining statue.

After this, two things can happen, the statue could become dim and eventually get covered, or it can become even brighter and brighter, until it crushes its outer rocky surface and manifests into a living being, eventually becoming a disciple of the Lord of the Internet and gaining its own ability to select its own stuff and making those into monuments itself, but what it tends to do, is that it selects garbage of the same origin that has given birth to it on the Internet planet. The most powerful disciples become the elite guards of the internet, which includes such personalities like Ray William Johnson, Smosh, Lady Gaga, Cracked.com, among others.

In order to become successful on the internet, all you need to do is continuously bombard the Internet planet with the shiniest thing you can throw at it, and just pray that the Lord of the Internet or any of his disciples pick up your own stuff more than any other stuff, eventually becoming yourself a disciple of the Lord of the Internet. Who knows, you might even succeed him eventually.

And that's how you become successful on youtube

A great (and satirical) way to look at it. And that is the problem of the Internet (or at least I'd say the masses in general), people go for "shiniest" object they can find regardless of whether it was done well or not. In other words, someone with something that is great but because it isn't "shiny" enough, it doesn't get featured while someone on the other hand can have pure crap that is really bad but is "shiny" and that gets exhalted beyond the talented and hardworking youtuber. :(

U have to upload HQ videos
By HQ i mean u must upload a great content who worth watching not a video with most high quallity. U must grow a big Facebook page and twitter with a lot of followers ofcourse to advertise your videos.

Kidnapping Smosh
That and if you can get takeover VEVO headquarters.[DOUBLEPOST=1368656840,1368656700][/DOUBLEPOST]Perseverance, for most it takes years to stats up, if that is the kind of success we're talking about here. Some are a hit right off the bat, some get lucky, some are crazy talented, some was on the right website at the right time. For most of us it's perseverance and hard work. So goes life. :)

A lot of SEO work. All of my videos have been optimized. Look where I have gotten in 10 months.

Holy s**t, a serious answer. God this forum is terrible.

In my opinion:
1) choosing the right content.
2) SEO and/or Shoutouts
3) Other optimization: Mostly Thumbnails

Holy s**t, a serious answer. God this forum is terrible.

In my opinion:
1) choosing the right content.
2) SEO and/or Shoutouts
3) Other optimization: Mostly Thumbnails

I've said SEO, optimization in so many other threads. If people would look at the sticky's as I, and others often suggest then they would know that. But it takes more than good SEO and shoutouts. It does take persistence. There is a saying half of success is showing up. Many people quit if they don't have 5000 subs in two weeks. You're right about the three things listed but I would round that list out to 10 important things, and persistence would be included. Btw, I have to disagree. This forum isn't perfect but terrible? Come on Flammy.

Persistence
Choosing the right content
SEO and/or Shoutouts
Thumbnails
Promoting
Regular Uploads
Uploading many videos (unless you are doing something incredible specialized/ or have established a large audience)
Quality content (most of the time, everything can't be a masterpiece)
Collaborations
Connecting with viewers/subs

I would also like to add that different genres require different strategies for success. Some things work great for gaming channels that don't work the same way for vlogging channels.

I've said SEO, optimization in so many other threads. If people would look at the sticky's as I, and others often suggest then they would know that. But it takes more than good SEO and shoutouts. It does take persistence. There is a saying half of success is showing up. Many people quit if they don't have 5000 subs in two weeks. You're right about the three things listed but I would round that list out to 10 important things, and persistence would be included. Btw, I have to disagree. This forum isn't perfect but terrible? Come on Flammy.

Persistence
SEO and/or Shoutouts
Thumbnails
Promoting
Regular Uploads
Uploading many videos (unless you are doing something incredible specialized/ or have established a large audience)
Collaborations

I would also like to add that different genres require different strategies for success. Some things work great for gaming channels that don't work the same way for vlogging channels.
Thanks :) I'm posting my first full length video in 3 days :)

Persistence
SEO and/or Shoutouts
Thumbnails
Promoting
Regular Uploads
Collaborations

I'm going to be posting my own thoughts on 'secret to success' soon, so I've thought about this a lot lately. On the persistence factor, I really must disagree. This is how I made my short list... first think about everything that helps (and persistence does indeed help) and rate everything with one of the following: high/mid/low importance in terms of 1) how important it is to success 2) how difficult it is to do. For example social media is one of the few things I give a 'high' rating to as it is very easy to set up and can drive a lot of of traffic. The list was made up of concrete actions or aspects, but if persistence was on the list I would give it a "mid importance" or "low" rating of importance.

First of all it obviously isn't critical to success. I think everyone here has seen channels which clearly don't try yet the views and subs fall into their laps. Not all cases are that extreme. In other cases where people quickly find success the success itself is the motivation. Either way, I think it can be important to some people (especially channels which don't find success right away).

Secondly its a fairly common belief that persistence will eventually lead to success. Perhaps, but if you find success thru persistence like that it is dumb luck. I think people should work towards success rather than merely keep making videos destined for obscurity hoping one of them hits it big. YouTube doesn't credit effort when it rates or recommends videos... just success/results.

As for the other factors:
Promoting - I would consider this the same as SEO and shoutouts. Sure, not exactly the same, but all under the umbrella of 'driving traffic'
Regular Uploads - If this refers to say uploading on a schedule you try to stick to (1 per day, 2 per week, 1 per week, 1 per two weeks, etc) I do not consider this important what so ever. Production speed obviously depends on your quality/style, but I don't consider channels who upload 5 videos in one week then nothing next week to have a huge issue. TL;DR: Helps, but is not required at all.
Uploading many videos (unless you are doing something incredible specialized/ or have established a large audience) - Same thoughts as regular uploads. TL;DR: Helps, but is not required at all.
Quality content (most of the time, everything can't be a masterpiece) - I think this opinion will surprise most people... but quality doesn't matter. Yeah, seriously. I have had the somewhat rare opportunity to be able to follow my niche has it has grown from about 3 channels uploading on a semi regular basis to a well established niche of 10 large channels (~5k subs+) plus hundreds of smaller channels... and the people who grew the fastest by no means had the best quality or even good quality... they merely got the content and the right time (a subset of getting the right content). In terms of literal video quality, same story. It depends on your content, but by no means is 720p+ required. To this day I still upload roughly 70% of my content in 480p (rest is 720p). TL;DR: Helps, but is not required at all.
Collaborations - I would consider this the same as SEO and shoutouts. Sure, not exactly the same, but all under the umbrella of 'driving traffic'
Connecting with viewers/subs - I would consider this low importance. It doesn't scale well and is isn't unimportant if you DON'T do it... so once again... TL;DR: Helps, but is not required at all.

In terms of vlogging vs gaming - I think vloggers have it much harder. SEO is harder as well that it seems to me, an outside observer, they are all bundled to gether with it hard to differentiate between the channels... aka gamers are split between platform (pc/xbox/ps/social/mobile/etc) as well as by type of game (shooter/strategy/action/rpg/etc) as well as by game itself (CoD/BF/TF/etc). All that said, I think it is equally valid that it comes down to 1) Content and 2) driving traffic (still, primarily thru SEO or shoutouts, but those others can work too (colab, promoting, etc)

In terms of this forum being terrible - I stand by my words. They aren't nice words. But this thread had 30-something replies before I considered anyone got close to a "good" recommendation. A few people had tried. I counted 4 comments were the advise actually answered the question rather than joking around. 10% helpful comments, roughly 10% kinda helpful but not answering the question, and 80% joke/unhelpful responses...? Well perhaps we have a different definition of terrible.

Back