The small stay small, the big get bigger.

The gateway to all your subscribers and views is what it literally means. The gateway to a boom of activity on your channel. :) Take it literally.
Exactly! One of my biggest (but saddest) points are, that most channels can't get big doing what they enjoy, they have to have a bit different content untill they're at stage 2 or 3 of channel growth.

I realised this when I spent 8 months making a Halo montage a year or two ago, it doesn't have more than 3000 views to this day. While something I made in 15 minutes has like 20.000 views within a few days..

Exactly! One of my biggest (but saddest) points are, that most channels can't get big doing what they enjoy, they have to have a bit different content untill they're at stage 2 or 3 of channel growth.

I realised this when I spent 8 months making a Halo montage a year or two ago, it doesn't have more than 3000 views to this day. While something I made in 15 minutes has like 20.000 views within a few days..
I wanna do what you suggested, but I don't really know where to start. D:

I wanna do what you suggested, but I don't really know where to start. D:
Well for example your One Channel trailer, the video you use is usually one that you're trying to make a gateway video. Catch people within the first 10 seconds, don't use long boring intros.

If I can give an example
/watch?v=DnqC-ONuNSQ (It won't allow me to post links, however this Youtuber manages to make almost a perfect gateway video)

In this video he manages to capture peoples attention very well on some points, and others are lacking which is why the video has only 40k views.
1st of all: The content/music in this video fits together perfectly, and it's from many different games, giving him a big wide audience.
2nd of all: He manages to capture people within the first 10 second with either something funny, or just unexpected.

Now the things he could have done better
He could have given the video a better title/thumbnail/tags this would have improved it as a gateway video, making more people click it

If you don't have gateway video(s(, getting 1000 or even 10.000 subs is going to take years, take for example my channel, I found out that my Darius video with 100k+ views turned into a gateway video, so I made a video series following on the one. Now all 10 videos so far act as gateway videos, and yesterday I beat my record with a stunning 714 subscribers gained in one day.

Well for example your One Channel trailer, the video you use is usually one that you're trying to make a gateway video. Catch people within the first 10 seconds, don't use long boring intros.

If I can give an example
/watch?v=DnqC-ONuNSQ (It won't allow me to post links, however this Youtuber manages to make almost a perfect gateway video)

In this video he manages to capture peoples attention very well on some points, and others are lacking which is why the video has only 40k views.
1st of all: The content/music in this video fits together perfectly, and it's from many different games, giving him a big wide audience.
2nd of all: He manages to capture people within the first 10 second with either something funny, or just unexpected.

Now the things he could have done better
He could have given the video a better title/thumbnail/tags this would have improved it as a gateway video, making more people click it

If you don't have gateway video(s(, getting 1000 or even 10.000 subs is going to take years, take for example my channel, I found out that my Darius video with 100k+ views turned into a gateway video, so I made a video series following on the one. Now all 10 videos so far act as gateway videos, and yesterday I beat my record with a stunning 714 subscribers gained in one day.
Wow, that's alot! I'll take your advice into account. :)

Wow, that's alot! I'll take your advice into account. :)
I took a serious look at your channel, and 2 things stood out to me halting your progress.

1: Your gameplay videos are uncommentated, and theres not a huge audience for non-commentated gameplay.
2: Your project quest trailer is incredibly well made, so it's unfortunate to see it has a 24 second intro which really wasn't needed. Either make a button to skip intro, or just don't have an intro longer than 5 seconds (I know it sucks sometimes, but I don't know anyone who wants to watch 24 seconds of text before the action, you could make the intro with action/funny which would totally save it)

I took a serious look at your channel, and 2 things stood out to me halting your progress.

1: Your gameplay videos are uncommentated, and theres not a huge audience for non-commentated gameplay.
2: Your project quest trailer is incredibly well made, so it's unfortunate to see it has a 24 second intro which really wasn't needed. Either make a button to skip intro, or just don't have an intro longer than 5 seconds (I know it sucks sometimes, but I don't know anyone who wants to watch 24 seconds of text before the action, you could make the intro with action/funny which would totally save it)
You give some amazing advice to people, lol :)

You give some amazing advice to people, lol :)
A commentary/let's play channel like yours, definately needs a gateway video or two. For example you upload good content, in good quality both audio and video, however it doesn't get that many views.

Try thinking of something, and if you come up with a funny 2-3 minute video related to your channel upload that booty ;) then use analytics to see where the views are coming from, and optimize the video/your content based on that.

Okay, thanks! Actually, I've started commentating my gameplay recently for my BioShock and TR playthrough. :) Thanks for helping me out!

Back