Tags / Keywords - Using Tubebuddy's Tag Explorer Feature

SauceOne

The Sauce
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer
Hey there YTTalk, WeiseGamer here and it's been quite awhile since I've written a tip guide / article so I feel I should get back to it! I want to say that I am in no way benefiting or profiting by writing a guide revolving the plugin TubeBuddy and have no partnership or affiliation with them other than enjoying their product. You can however sign up for FREE at .

Awhile back I wrote a couple guides but, unfortunately, I had taken about 9 months off YouTube (and as such YTTalk) due to life events and though they are relevant still, they are a tad outdated. If you do want to see them, you can find them here.

-Older Guides:-

• (I no longer can keep this pace myself at the moment, but will get back to it!)
-TubeBuddy Guides by WeiseGamer-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay on to the guide!

-Video Version-

-Introduction-
We all know getting your content noticed is very difficult. Something that CAN help you however is tagging your video properly using searchable keywords that aren't completely saturated, but still being searched for by what we would hope is a large number of people.

-What is TubeBuddy?-
TubeBuddy is a plugin that you can download and install for free at . It provides a lot of useful features that honestly should be built into YouTube and give us some of those features back from the Old YouTube such as showing what tags people are using on their videos!

-What is "Tag Explorer?"-
Tag Explorer is a feature within TubeBuddy which allows you to basically use the google keyword search tool specifically for YouTube searches with information regarding where you rank for the term you enter, who ranks in the top 3 for that search term, what suggested terms are there that are similar, competition, number of searches, etc. It is the core of this guide and what I will be discussing for the remainder of this guide.

-How Do I Use It?-
Alright, so now for the how-to. After installing TubeBuddy you should see their little icon in the top right corner of YouTube as shown:

This new icon has many features, one of which being the Tag Explorer! Click on Tag Explorer in the bottom right:

A new window will pop up for us to enter a keyword/tag into:

For my example, I'm using the keyword "Action Henk Speedrun" which is something I'm trying to rank for regarding an indie game called "Action Henk" in which I have a few videos for. We will explore various tags to see which will be best for me to rank in.

We can see in the image above that the overall score is 80/100 for the keyword, it has low search volume (I'd love it to be higher, but we can settle) but VERY LOW competition which means for those that search for it, not many videos have this tag and it can be easier to be found. We also see that I rank for 9 out of the 20 top results on this keyword, and we see what the top ranking videos use for tags as well as what search term allows individuals to click on that video. In our example, 85% of the people search "action henk," 60% search "action henk gameplay," 50% "action henk game," etc. etc. Let's try going after some of that volume. Consider this, searching "Call of Duty" is going to bring up MILLIONS of videos and you simply have little to no chance of ranking for that. However something like "action henk review" with 50% of search hits seems viable. Let's check!

Okay, so looking at this I don't currently own any of the search results on page 1 (top 20) but this has HIGH SEARCH VOLUME with VERY LOW COMPETITION. This would be something we would REALLY want to try to target as we could rank easier and be found. Using this method, you can see what tags are bringing people to videos, pick the top ones that you have a chance to rank in, and put them to use!

-Putting it into Practice-
Alright so you have a list of tags and keywords that are being searched, bringing clicks/views to videos, and now you want to use it. Great! Let's get started. We want to use these in our title, description, and tags in a logical way so we can rank in search results. In my example, "Action Henk Speedrun" brought about 45% of search results to views on videos. It had lower search volume, but also VERY low competition and was a choice for me to target.

Title of my video: "Action Henk - Gold Medal Speed Run - (Insert Level Name)"
Tags: A list of various ones collected from TubeBuddy, I won't list them all here.
Description: "Action Henk is an amazing and addicting indie game similar to titles such as Speedrunners and Trials Fusion......"

-Results?-

Well, as TubeBuddy has shown I am ranking in a few of the choice keywords I put into use. If you go to YouTube and type in "Action Henk Speedrun" the bottom half of the results are all me and I am very pleased to find that. Yes, I wish I was rank 1 in this keyword, but I'll take it as I'm still on the first page!

In conclusion, though this is not a GUARANTEED way to get to the top, it can help a TON and I am very thankful for having an easy to use keyword tool that helps me keep track of what I'm ranking for and what's worth fighting for in search results.

Try it out yourself. It's free to use and you can start seeing results by using this tool. If you're interested, head to and check it out.
Thanks for making this tutorial! I have found TubeBuddy to be a useful resource when looking for tags, but the only thing that I don't like is how it constantly disconnects from my Google/YouTube account. I'm hoping this will be fixed, at some point.

TheKirkyLife

The Real James T. Kirk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
So I'm not exactly sure this works how it wants to all the time. Recently I found that one of my videos supposedly was on the first page of search results for "lets play rocket league". My tag stats said so and low and behold when I searched it there it was on the front page as seen here

BUT, something was up when my girlfriend said she could not find it. She lives in the US so I therefore assumed it might be a regional thing. Yet, I signed out of my account and searched for it as an annoymous guy and what do you know? It didn't turn up until the 9th page. Still not terrible but not exactly as good as this. So I'd like to know why TubeBuddy is feeding me false info and getting my hopes up. I think it has definitely helped me get found more often for sure but obviously this has been a huge disappointment for me.

Phil @ TubeBuddy

I've Got It
Reaction score
Bummer - yes, the answer is that as TubeBuddy currently works, the rank tracking is for where you rank on your computer. So it can be influenced by who is logged in. We simply so a search in your browser and track your position. We tried to be clear about that in our help documentation but it should be more clear obviously. The good news is that we are working on pulling that data from YouTube's data API soon which will be clear, consistent results no matter where you are across the globe or who you are logged in with. Hoping to have that in place in 3 weeks or so. I went ahead and gave you unlimited access to our Legend tools for the next 6 months free ($300 value) because I really feel bad that you were disappointed.

Reactions: TheKirkyLife

TheKirkyLife

The Real James T. Kirk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Bummer - yes, the answer is that as TubeBuddy currently works, the rank tracking is for where you rank on your computer. So it can be influenced by who is logged in. We simply so a search in your browser and track your position. We tried to be clear about that in our help documentation but it should be more clear obviously. The good news is that we are working on pulling that data from YouTube's data API soon which will be clear, consistent results no matter where you are across the globe or who you are logged in with. Hoping to have that in place in 3 weeks or so. I went ahead and gave you unlimited access to our Legend tools for the next 6 months free ($300 value) because I really feel bad that you were disappointed.
Yeah thought as much, to be fair I think it was fault on my side for not anticipating it sooner! That sounds like you've got some fantastic improvements in the work though and believe me the tool has bee massively helpful anyway! Wow that is incredibly nice of you, as if I needed any more reason to like the service! Securing yourself a long time customer here hopefully if I've got the money to spend! :)