Setting up to launch a adword campaign - and consulting?

I have not communicated with Scalelab in particular, but did have detailed exchanges with BroadbandTv and Studio71. Basically the bigger your channel the more favourable terms you negotiate. They promise to send you traffic (by running you on shared playlists and internal ads), and also on their own app or website. There's also a lot of other tools. The problem is contracts are fairly open and there is little firm commitment on their side - basically if you are growing strong and successful, they will help you, if you fall out with traffic, that's it. I think networks may benefit those who collab a lot and have a lot of fan interactions (think teenybopper fanboys and fangirls and under 25 viral Youtubers), so they may help you get exposure with other media perhaps, Tv cable shows, merchandise, maybe makeup and perfume brand deals, etc. Kids channels for the most part seem to stay independent, although of course some big kids channels are part of networks. Most lock you into a 3-12 month or more contract. Studio71 wanted a 2 year lock-in for a revenue cut of 7%, or a 1 year lock-in for 10% cut.

What I know of machine learning is not that advanced either. Basically you feed in data sets and fine tune the weighting of various inputs. As it learns on data sets, the fuzzy black box adjusts the weights of inputs. You then feed more and more data in, and it learns more. I assume Yt would feed in several hundred parameters (that are apparently part of the old algo), and train of data sets with millions, if not hundreds of millions of videos and interactions. Then they let it loose. I assume the Google/Yt AI is one of the most advanced on the planet, since they have hundred of maths and physics PhDs working there. When you look at it from that perspective, I find it highly unrealistic that such simple things as tags, descriptions and titles would have any influence on it, apart from sticking your video into a cloud of "like minded videos". Then it's purely viewer behavior that determines if your videos get placements on other channels, the rank of placements, and how long they keep those placements. Check out this page, video, and the Google white paper they mention:

tubefilter.com/2017/06/22/youtube-algorithm-research-cracking-the-code/

Thanks for the positive comments![DOUBLEPOST=1499901575,1499900785][/DOUBLEPOST]

What become popular is a mystery. I think the most important component is difference. Something that makes kids click and watch through.

It may be helpful as well to identify channels in your vertical that are in the 10k-50k sub range. Look at how they broke through the 5k barrier and started growing. Generally below 5k it's ad hoc growth, here and there. At the 5k+ level there would likely be a viral or a set of semi viral videos that drove growth. Try to identify how they executed those, who they "copied", their playlist strategy around that content. Those viral video would have pushed them into the 20k+ range, possible 50k-100k with a series executing a strong, original viral idea.

You've listed 2 ideas, the wrong heads and colored hands, yes the first channels to execute those say massive traffic, but other channels immediately copying those ideas would have grown significantly. Then the channel that painted the kids feet for the first time (as a mod of the main theme) had very high growth as well. Look for these sort of patterns and offshoots and try to execute on them. That's the main and pretty much only decent way to grow, apart form a sizeable adwords investment.[DOUBLEPOST=1499901931][/DOUBLEPOST]

You can use # subs for tier rankings.
I think much more relevant is monthly traffic (I find Tb channelytics is the best for this).
You've got the 300M+/month, the 100M-300M, 50M-100M, 10M-50M, rough ranges like that.
I would rank top tier as 300M+, middle tier as the 100M-300M, lower middle at the 50M-100M, low tier at the 10M-50M (where we are clinging desperately to).
I think of subs as all the spectators at the Olympics stadium cheering the runners from the sidelines. I think of traffic as the time you set as you race down the track. Ultimately, the only important thing is the # of views/month. Top tier are the gold medal winners at the podium, then silver and bronze. Everyone else gets a blue ribbon with a pin on their t-shirt, like at school athletics day.

Thank you for your detailed response. So the you link about the research on search engine was really interesting. So shorter titles and more keywords. It makes me wonder if I ever will have a chance? It's also interesting that you consider your channel as low tier...I would have said you all have made it!

In regards to analyzing other channels, how do you do this? I was thinking the same and was using the tube tubby analytics to see if I can figure out at which point certain channels started growing. But from what I was using I couldn't find the inflection point. But now that you've explained this strategy, I understand why all these channels hop on the bandwagon so to speak. I wasn't sure why so many people were making certain types of videos. I did notice one channel posted the wrong head video out of the blue (not their customary style) and it got over 100,000 views when all their other videos were in the 100s. They seem to be trying to build their base by making more. Another channel that I used to follow (toy review) that had incredible growth now only make the wrong head video. I've been really reluctant to follow suit because I didn't get it. So interesting.

RIght now I really need a strategy to gain real views. The only ones I get now are from "sub for sub" types of views. I understand this is one way to grow but I don't get real feedback this way.

Anyway, thank you again for your thoughtful responses!

I would love to consult you for free. :) I had a channel with a million views, one with 150k and another with 30k. My new channel already has about 5k in two months which is decent. Message if interested. By the way this isn't misleading, I am looking to get into consulting but wanna test my knowledge on things like youtube.

trying to figure out how to message you...LOL!

I have "how to draw and color" channel and experience same problem with views. Many popular videos on my field do not looks very interesting or entertaining, but they are getting fantastic views for my category. I following this channels for a few month and watch how they grow and tried to replicate they success . Unfortunately I did not have any luck with that and came to conclusion that these channels using AdWords to promote videos in the first place , like thousands dollars’ worth of adds. On my channel new videos do not really working unless I pay for adds.

I have "how to draw and color" channel and experience same problem with views. Many popular videos on my field do not looks very interesting or entertaining, but they are getting fantastic views for my category. I following this channels for a few month and watch how they grow and tried to replicate they success . Unfortunately I did not have any luck with that and came to conclusion that these channels using AdWords to promote videos in the first place , like thousands dollars’ worth of adds. On my channel new videos do not really working unless I pay for adds.
Have you been running ads? If so, does it bring you consistent audience?

I agree that some channels' popularity doesn't make sense. Or some channels quality drops after they gain certain level of popularity. It's a mystery for me. I also find that some channels are repetitive...but I believe that is one strategy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I'm going to be 100% honest with you. Advertising your channel like that is probably the worst thing that you can do. Building up your channel by sharing your videos with your friends or just having people find your videos is the best way in my opinion. This is because it leaves you time to improve on your videos before tons of people see it. Trust me. When time progresses and your videos get better you will get the views and followers that you deserve. And not to be offensive or anything but the quality of your videos are no where close to deserving a large following or even a decent following.
So my advise to you is to enjoy making your videos and don't worry about the followers. The numbers will come in due time. Work hard to improve your content and you will defiantly see the results. Hope this helps you out!!!

Reactions: KTP
Have you been running ads? If so, does it bring you consistent audience?

I agree that some channels' popularity doesn't make sense. Or some channels quality drops after they gain certain level of popularity. It's a mystery for me. I also find that some channels are repetitive...but I believe that is one strategy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
I did nor feel difference because a spend 30 dollars on it. run add for one video for two days. I am not ready to spend $400 a month on adds yet but possibility of it crossed my mined in a last few days. It is competition of dollar againts dollar this days not creativity

I did nor feel difference because a spend 30 dollars on it. run add for one video for two days. I am not ready to spend $400 a month on adds yet but possibility of it crossed my mined in a last few days. It is competition of dollar againts dollar this days not creativity

I'm just going to throw this idea out there - in the old days (1 or 2 years ago), maybe $10 or $20/day or per new video did the trick. But there has been an influx of new, trendy, committed channels this year. Maybe there has been more media coverage around the world, there certainly have been a number of Youtubers being interview on morning shows in australia (and we all know what the media focuses on in interviews with Youtubers - $$$). More and more people are joining the "gold rush", just as they did in previous gold rushes (actual gold rushes of yesteryear, the PC shop on every corner in the 90s, the coffee shop on every corner all trying to be the next Sbux, etc, etc). As more channels start up, it's harder and harder to get onto the right sidebar of whatever vertical you are in, especially so in kids.

Take "learn colors" with kid actors. About 6 months ago, there were very few channels, then one broke out with the kid and all the various toys to learn colors with. New concept on an old idea. Daily execution. Now there are literally hundreds of channels with kid actors running those videos. Many are new, committed, have access to cool toys, and run with the latest trends. It's very hard to do learn colors now and break into the right sidebar. Perfect time was 3-4 months ago, just prior to the influx.

Getting back to adwords, you'd be looking at a sizeable investment now, I'll throw a figure out: $2k-5k/month, to break through the mass of videos in the "learn colors" vertical. Otherwise you'll just be buried under the mass of content.

You then need to look to other strategies. Derral had some good ideas in his video (another post). As soon as something gets popular, you have a mass of prospectors with their pan ready to pan the river bed for alluvial gold, and the occasional gold nuggets.[DOUBLEPOST=1500078030,1500077775][/DOUBLEPOST]

In many cases, irrespective of perceived or actual quality, there is a first mover advantage. The channel that sets a new trend, in many cases, will get 10X the traffic to its first video on that trend compared to an immediate copycat video. The first one who sets trends gets very high channel authority if that trend becomes viral. Not in all cases of course, there are exceptions, but as a general case. It also depends on authority of the 2nd and 3rd and subsequent copycats, if they are strong channels or can send high traffic (so basically additional channels opened by a primary strong channel with traffic redirection), they can challenge the first mover in the trend.

It's getting harder to just follow and replicate channels, especially with the AI of the algo. It looks much more at viewer behaviour, not simple associations build between channels via Seo (I predict the imminent death of Seo as we know it). You're not getting the views of the popular channel because the viewer behavior does not dictate you get the views. You need to look at ways to entice viewers to click on your videos. What can you do different to the other channel that will make viewers click your thumbnails?

I'm just going to throw this idea out there - in the old days (1 or 2 years ago), maybe $10 or $20/day or per new video did the trick. But there has been an influx of new, trendy, committed channels this year. Maybe there has been more media coverage around the world, there certainly have been a number of Youtubers being interview on morning shows in australia (and we all know what the media focuses on in interviews with Youtubers - $$$). More and more people are joining the "gold rush", just as they did in previous gold rushes (actual gold rushes of yesteryear, the PC shop on every corner in the 90s, the coffee shop on every corner all trying to be the next Sbux, etc, etc). As more channels start up, it's harder and harder to get onto the right sidebar of whatever vertical you are in, especially so in kids.

Take "learn colors" with kid actors. About 6 months ago, there were very few channels, then one broke out with the kid and all the various toys to learn colors with. New concept on an old idea. Daily execution. Now there are literally hundreds of channels with kid actors running those videos. Many are new, committed, have access to cool toys, and run with the latest trends. It's very hard to do learn colors now and break into the right sidebar. Perfect time was 3-4 months ago, just prior to the influx.

Getting back to adwords, you'd be looking at a sizeable investment now, I'll throw a figure out: $2k-5k/month, to break through the mass of videos in the "learn colors" vertical. Otherwise you'll just be buried under the mass of content.

You then need to look to other strategies. Derral had some good ideas in his video (another post). As soon as something gets popular, you have a mass of prospectors with their pan ready to pan the river bed for alluvial gold, and the occasional gold nuggets.[DOUBLEPOST=1500078030,1500077775][/DOUBLEPOST]

In many cases, irrespective of perceived or actual quality, there is a first mover advantage. The channel that sets a new trend, in many cases, will get 10X the traffic to its first video on that trend compared to an immediate copycat video. The first one who sets trends gets very high channel authority if that trend becomes viral. Not in all cases of course, there are exceptions, but as a general case. It also depends on authority of the 2nd and 3rd and subsequent copycats, if they are strong channels or can send high traffic (so basically additional channels opened by a primary strong channel with traffic redirection), they can challenge the first mover in the trend.

It's getting harder to just follow and replicate channels, especially with the AI of the algo. It looks much more at viewer behaviour, not simple associations build between channels via Seo (I predict the imminent death of Seo as we know it). You're not getting the views of the popular channel because the viewer behavior does not dictate you get the views. You need to look at ways to entice viewers to click on your videos. What can you do different to the other channel that will make viewers click your thumbnails?

My main competitors is Rainbow art ( Rainbow Learning second channell) and - paint colouring pages for kids tv . When this two started to grow ( colouring Pages for Kids tv - sterted growing first about 3 month ago) my views began to drop gradually. I can't understand why they are so pushed by algo. Because of them a lot of coloring channels pop up in the last two month with hope to gen millions hits per video.. I will see what I can do to improove my thumbnails.They are looks good on the side bar.

Thank you for this information but it is also absolutely demoralizing...

I see some channels that upload 2 videos a day...it's amazing - that is DRIVE!

The learn numbers with a child actor - I think I have come across these videos - these are the ones where the child is pointing to some thing and saying "this is red, this is pink" etc etc, yes? Those are mind-numbing but my kids seem to respond to it - so they are onto something. I don't know about those, but feel that some of the children-centered shows there is a correlation between popularity and the child's charisma. I just recently watched one of Ryan's toy review videos (I know, where have I been) and I can't deny Ryan is adorable and so articulate. I also have noticed, as you say, there are newer ones that I feel are really making serious investment, buying pretty expensive toys on a daily basis. I have to respect the "all in" spirit those parents (I'm assuming the parents are the driving force) have.

Back