Setting up to launch a adword campaign - and consulting?

KTP

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Hi everyone,

This forum has been so eye opening in learning how strategic building a youtube channel is. I really did think you just upload and wait...In many ways, I am relieved that there is a strategy to it all.

After reading some of the posts, I am thinking that I need to start a campaign to get ahead in the saturated toy channel market. I'll continue to try to improve on SEO but it is clear to me that I cannot compete. I am also thinking my channel needs to be more focused so I plan to make more videos that are specific and create a playlist(s). After looking around, I think I am going to focus on "parking garage toys" because we have all the toys and lots of vehicles that can be grouped together into other other keywords, like "emergency vehicles", "construction vehicles". After I create a handful of these similar themed videos I am thinking of launching a campaign. Does this seem like a reasonable approach or are these keywords still too competitive for me to target? I got tube buddy and tonight I am going to play around with vidIQ to see if I can find better keywords. I'm also considering starting instagram or facebook, but I don't know that this is important for toy channels geared for younger children.

In the meantime, one of the leading toy channels has started to offer consulting.The price is kind of steep ($150 for 15 minutes - or maybe this is standard) but I can easily spend that much purchasing new toys.

Thank you for reading this through, I appreciate any feedback!

Last edited by a moderator:

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think you can post the name of the channel offering consulting, i would like to know who that is, maybe I can order a session as well :) If you don't want to post the name, where can I find it, just google or something more specific?

About your qns - you can/should setup playlists as much as you want, you should make ones dedicated to your content, and also mixed in with similar content from other channels, then send viewers to them via end screens and cards.

There are strategies to growth for sure, in fact quite a few of them, each one involves varying amounts of work, time, $ and luck. Depends on which one you have more and less of.

Seo is dying a slow death, especially with the implementation across Google and YouTube of machine learning. Seo just places you into the vertical, and the various silos in it. It's there to build association. Apart from that, that's it, as in our vertical, young kids don't use the search function.

You don't need to drill down to such a fine fidelity as to run ad campaigns for 'const vehicle' or 'parking' or 'emerg vehicles'. The more precise/long tailed your keywords in ads, the less hits and placements you'll get. I would/do run campaigns with just "toys" "kids" and other very high level kws. When you run ads your competition is not keywords, it's CPC. I suggest you run at 1c to get the best bang for buck, if the ads don't hit, you can increase in increments by targeting, I generally increase by 25% up to no more than 2 cents for placements on top tier channels (maybe not the top 1 or 2, but certainly the top 5).

Instagram and Fb are a waste of time for the most part (we do have both accounts though). Focus where your target audience is - I'm guessing 1-3 y.o's by your content - they don't use Fb and Instagram. You can of course create accounts and dump links there, but expect less than 0.1% or so traffic flow. Don't bother engaging in Fb groups, it's just other channels dumping their links.

One other thing - your thumbnails have lots of black lines everywhere, colors seem faded. Polish them up before running ads or they might get low click through rates...

KTP

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I think you can post the name of the channel offering consulting, i would like to know who that is, maybe I can order a session as well :) If you don't want to post the name, where can I find it, just google or something more specific?

About your qns - you can/should setup playlists as much as you want, you should make ones dedicated to your content, and also mixed in with similar content from other channels, then send viewers to them via end screens and cards.

There are strategies to growth for sure, in fact quite a few of them, each one involves varying amounts of work, time, $ and luck. Depends on which one you have more and less of.

Seo is dying a slow death, especially with the implementation across Google and YouTube of machine learning. Seo just places you into the vertical, and the various silos in it. It's there to build association. Apart from that, that's it, as in our vertical, young kids don't use the search function.

You don't need to drill down to such a fine fidelity as to run ad campaigns for 'const vehicle' or 'parking' or 'emerg vehicles'. The more precise/long tailed your keywords in ads, the less hits and placements you'll get. I would/do run campaigns with just "toys" "kids" and other very high level kws. When you run ads your competition is not keywords, it's CPC. I suggest you run at 1c to get the best bang for buck, if the ads don;t hit, you can increase in increments by targeting, I generally increase by 25% up to no more than 2 cents for placements on top tier channels.

Instagram and Fb are a waste of time for the most part (we do have both accounts though). Focus where your target audience is - I'm guessing 1-3 y.o's by your content - they don't use Fb and Instagram. You can of course create accounts and dump links there, but expect less than 0.1% or so traffic flow. Don't bother engaging in Fb groups, it's just other channels dumping their links.
Thank you!

The channel is sparkle spice. The link is on her channel page along with the link to her network. She is also offering 30 min and 1hr. Her channel started off as massive toy hauls then eventually more playing with toys. I thought she (or he?) Was a toy collector but I believe that was her strategy?

When my kiddos watch these videos, I do the initial search and monitor what they pick, and they just chose whatever that pops up on suggestions. Or I'll go to a channel I know is safe and have them watch it. So I think my target also includes parents. I know I also use short key words since it's faster to key in when you have a screaming child. I've never used social media to search.

So the use of machine learning interesting. It makes sense, google/youtube is a big data peoblem. Would this mean that all your metadata is then important because it throws all those variable into the mix? I also think this might actually give the smaller channels a chance because you are looking at the data as a whole? Oh, and what does appearing in vertical mean?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thank you!

The channel is sparkle spice. The link is on her channel page along with the link to her network. She is also offering 30 min and 1hr. Her channel started off as massive toy hauls then eventually more playing with toys. I thought she (or he?) Was a toy collector but I believe that was her strategy?

When my kiddos watch these videos, I do the initial search and monitor what they pick, and they just chose whatever that pops up on suggestions. Or I'll go to a channel I know is safe and have them watch it. So I think my target also includes parents. I know I also use short key words since it's faster to key in when you have a screaming child. I've never used social media to search.

So the use of machine learning interesting. It makes sense, google/youtube is a big data peoblem. Would this mean that all your metadata is then important because it throws all those variable into the mix? I also think this might actually give the smaller channels a chance because you are looking at the data as a whole? Oh, and what does appearing in vertical mean?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
I see she has an affiliate link to ScaleLab MCN there in About. I mean ye, if you can some spare cash, can give it a try. To do a proper analysis one would need access to Analytics. Otherwise it's just skimming the surface.

Sparkle Spice's strategy is to saturate the category with on trend content. The space is hyper competitive, it's hard to separate yourself from all the other channels. In the kids space you've got the individual personality of the child that kids can relate to and you can build off that, but with faceless videos you have to focus on the latest toys and trends, high quality video/lighting, and unique sound effects, and voice of the adult.

Good point about the parents searching. I actually have not seen that behavior :) I just see the parent give the kids the phone to shut them up and get them to be still.

I have the feeling that metadata is becoming less relevant. When the algo was "stupid" all those years ago, tags, descriptions, titles would align you and get you placed on suggested. Now it's more to do with viewer behaviour and watch patterns. The algo will suggest to the viewer what it thinks they will likely watch and interact with better, irrespective to all the metadata that creators stuff into the text fields (me included). Just my hunch sitting in front of this damn screen for 70 hours a week. The more intelligent the backend gets, the harder it is to game and influence with anything we do.

Reaction score
I suggest you run at 1c to get the best bang for buck, if the ads don't hit, you can increase in increments by targeting, I generally increase by 25% up to no more than 2 cents for placements on top tier channels (maybe not the top 1 or 2, but certainly the top 5).
How do you define "Top Tier"? Are there specific channels you look at to determine trends? (If so, would you be comfortable sharing the names of the channels that you analyze for trends?)

Austerpower

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
I would love to consult you for free. :) I had a channel with a million views, one with 150k and another with 30k. My new channel already has about 5k in two months which is decent. Message if interested. By the way this isn't misleading, I am looking to get into consulting but wanna test my knowledge on things like youtube.

KTP

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
How do you define "Top Tier"? Are there specific channels you look at to determine trends? (If so, would you be comfortable sharing the names of the channels that you analyze for trends?)
When I mean top tier, I mean if you look at the their view counts and subscriber (but I tend to focus more on views than subscriber number but usually they correlate). Also, these are the channels that pop up on top when you enter our keyword. I also did research before I started my channel and looked up channels that I felt were in the same category as what I was planning to make - so I did this on socialblade. I think there must be other sites. My channel is toys with no humans in front of the camera - very specific niche. The top channels in my category I would say is Yippee toys, toys monster, genevieve's playhouse, sparkle spice - there are probably way more but these are some that I "studied".

For me, trends are difficult to assess for anonymous toy channels. A lot of popular videos don't make sense to me,like there was one where it's the finger family song where they use their hand and paint each finger as they sing. I don't get it but kids must love it because it seemed everyone seemed to be doing it. Another is the "wrong head" videos where they have popular characters and they match different body parts.

Reactions: KiddieToysReview

KTP

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I see she has an affiliate link to ScaleLab MCN there in About. I mean ye, if you can some spare cash, can give it a try. To do a proper analysis one would need access to Analytics. Otherwise it's just skimming the surface.

Sparkle Spice's strategy is to saturate the category with on trend content. The space is hyper competitive, it's hard to separate yourself from all the other channels. In the kids space you've got the individual personality of the child that kids can relate to and you can build off that, but with faceless videos you have to focus on the latest toys and trends, high quality video/lighting, and unique sound effects, and voice of the adult.

Good point about the parents searching. I actually have not seen that behavior :) I just see the parent give the kids the phone to shut them up and get them to be still.

I have the feeling that metadata is becoming less relevant. When the algo was "stupid" all those years ago, tags, descriptions, titles would align you and get you placed on suggested. Now it's more to do with viewer behaviour and watch patterns. The algo will suggest to the viewer what it thinks they will likely watch and interact with better, irrespective to all the metadata that creators stuff into the text fields (me included). Just my hunch sitting in front of this damn screen for 70 hours a week. The more intelligent the backend gets, the harder it is to game and influence with anything we do.
That's really interesting. I don't know the details of search engines and how they apply machine learning. It might be interesting to study and maybe help to understand what data is fed into it - I only have a very basic understanding of machine learning from what I understand the most important factor is what data is thrown into the model. After that, it seems there are just types of formula that tries to improve the signal, isn't that right? So it might mean that a certain keyword might be linked with an apparently random keyword.

70 hours a week! That is amazing. And it shows on your videos too - they are very good (beautiful family btw). Thank you for taking time to respond to my queries - it's nice to get feedback from someone with your experience.

Do you know anything about scalelab - I looked at their site and said they offer short contract. I don't even know what that means. I feel like i'm in over my head!

Reactions: KiddieToysReview

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
That's really interesting. I don't know the details of search engines and how they apply machine learning. It might be interesting to study and maybe help to understand what data is fed into it - I only have a very basic understanding of machine learning from what I understand the most important factor is what data is thrown into the model. After that, it seems there are just types of formula that tries to improve the signal, isn't that right? So it might mean that a certain keyword might be linked with an apparently random keyword.

70 hours a week! That is amazing. And it shows on your videos too - they are very good (beautiful family btw). Thank you for taking time to respond to my queries - it's nice to get feedback from someone with your experience.

Do you know anything about scalelab - I looked at their site and said they offer short contract. I don't even know what that means. I feel like i'm in over my head!
I have not communicated with Scalelab in particular, but did have detailed exchanges with BroadbandTv and Studio71. Basically the bigger your channel the more favourable terms you negotiate. They promise to send you traffic (by running you on shared playlists and internal ads), and also on their own app or website. There's also a lot of other tools. The problem is contracts are fairly open and there is little firm commitment on their side - basically if you are growing strong and successful, they will help you, if you fall out with traffic, that's it. I think networks may benefit those who collab a lot and have a lot of fan interactions (think teenybopper fanboys and fangirls and under 25 viral Youtubers), so they may help you get exposure with other media perhaps, Tv cable shows, merchandise, maybe makeup and perfume brand deals, etc. Kids channels for the most part seem to stay independent, although of course some big kids channels are part of networks. Most lock you into a 3-12 month or more contract. Studio71 wanted a 2 year lock-in for a revenue cut of 7%, or a 1 year lock-in for 10% cut.

What I know of machine learning is not that advanced either. Basically you feed in data sets and fine tune the weighting of various inputs. As it learns on data sets, the fuzzy black box adjusts the weights of inputs. You then feed more and more data in, and it learns more. I assume Yt would feed in several hundred parameters (that are apparently part of the old algo), and train of data sets with millions, if not hundreds of millions of videos and interactions. Then they let it loose. I assume the Google/Yt AI is one of the most advanced on the planet, since they have hundred of maths and physics PhDs working there. When you look at it from that perspective, I find it highly unrealistic that such simple things as tags, descriptions and titles would have any influence on it, apart from sticking your video into a cloud of "like minded videos". Then it's purely viewer behavior that determines if your videos get placements on other channels, the rank of placements, and how long they keep those placements. Check out this page, video, and the Google white paper they mention:

tubefilter.com/2017/06/22/youtube-algorithm-research-cracking-the-code/

Thanks for the positive comments![DOUBLEPOST=1499901575,1499900785][/DOUBLEPOST]
When I mean top tier, I mean if you look at the their view counts and subscriber (but I tend to focus more on views than subscriber number but usually they correlate). Also, these are the channels that pop up on top when you enter our keyword. I also did research before I started my channel and looked up channels that I felt were in the same category as what I was planning to make - so I did this on socialblade. I think there must be other sites. My channel is toys with no humans in front of the camera - very specific niche. The top channels in my category I would say is Yippee toys, toys monster, genevieve's playhouse, sparkle spice - there are probably way more but these are some that I "studied".

For me, trends are difficult to assess for anonymous toy channels. A lot of popular videos don't make sense to me,like there was one where it's the finger family song where they use their hand and paint each finger as they sing. I don't get it but kids must love it because it seemed everyone seemed to be doing it. Another is the "wrong head" videos where they have popular characters and they match different body parts.
What become popular is a mystery. I think the most important component is difference. Something that makes kids click and watch through.

It may be helpful as well to identify channels in your vertical that are in the 10k-50k sub range. Look at how they broke through the 5k barrier and started growing. Generally below 5k it's ad hoc growth, here and there. At the 5k+ level there would likely be a viral or a set of semi viral videos that drove growth. Try to identify how they executed those, who they "copied", their playlist strategy around that content. Those viral video would have pushed them into the 20k+ range, possible 50k-100k with a series executing a strong, original viral idea.

You've listed 2 ideas, the wrong heads and colored hands, yes the first channels to execute those say massive traffic, but other channels immediately copying those ideas would have grown significantly. Then the channel that painted the kids feet for the first time (as a mod of the main theme) had very high growth as well. Look for these sort of patterns and offshoots and try to execute on them. That's the main and pretty much only decent way to grow, apart form a sizeable adwords investment.[DOUBLEPOST=1499901931][/DOUBLEPOST]
You can use # subs for tier rankings.
I think much more relevant is monthly traffic (I find Tb channelytics is the best for this).
You've got the 300M+/month, the 100M-300M, 50M-100M, 10M-50M, rough ranges like that.
I would rank top tier as 300M+, middle tier as the 100M-300M, lower middle at the 50M-100M, low tier at the 10M-50M (where we are clinging desperately to).
I think of subs as all the spectators at the Olympics stadium cheering the runners from the sidelines. I think of traffic as the time you set as you race down the track. Ultimately, the only important thing is the # of views/month. Top tier are the gold medal winners at the podium, then silver and bronze. Everyone else gets a blue ribbon with a pin on their t-shirt, like at school athletics day.

Last edited: