Scriptless vlogging?

I don't script my vlogs per se, but I usually write down a few points I want to make so I stay on track. When I get an idea for a video, I usually develop it in my mind for a little while (in the shower, while driving, etc.) and write down the major points I want to make.

But it depends on the video too. Sometimes, I have one big idea and just improv it through the whole video, while for other topics, I write down a lot of notes.

When I don't have a clear idea of what I'm going to do, editing takes a lot more time. I have more clip rearranging to do, more "blank stare at the camera" segments to skip through, and it's a lot more work to make it a cohesive video as a whole.

I can't imagine totally writing a script for a vlog. I'm not a big fan of writing (which is kind of ironic since I've practically written a novel here) so I would get sick of vlogging really quickly. But it's all about what works for you! :)

For my first vlog I gave myself a outline but not a complete script. It gives me the freedom to talk how I want and sound normal and not like I'm ready something but stay on topic

Hey, there. I am a reletively new vlogger trying to find my voice. I usually script my vlogs, but a few times I went in unscripted and actually was really pleased with the results.

Is there anyone out there who prefers scriptless vlogging? Is it easier/harder to edit? Do you get a better viewer response?

Let me know. --Ashley
hey! I scripted all of my videos before (well, just key points/outlines). I recently tried turbo vlogging and I didn't use notes or an outline, and I got more views in a shorter amount of time. I think it felt more fluid and came across that way too.

For Me personally, I find I do better when I either practice a few times or script. Don't over script, don't come of fake - but give yourself a guideline. If you take a look at my first work and then some of the newer stuff, you'll see a dramatic difference. What I will usually do (though towards the end of my more 'drunken rants vids' it's harder), I will start the camera off (not recording) and go through my ideas a few times. I will then do a run.

For me, I find when I don't script - alot of my flaws show. I have a tendancy to pause alot when I am not scripted or unpracticed.

If I vlogged, this is what I would do honestly. Just talk about things that are happening at the moment and some fun past things.

I make an outline of what I want to talk about but other than that its basically nonscipted.

Now here is a question for you all...What are your thoughts on Pantless Vlogging... lol jk :)

Back