Scriptless vlogging?

Symph

I'm a dude with a face and I know how to use it.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer
I'd like to memorize you in your sleep.
One of the strangest, and THEREFORE most effective compliments ever. Unless that was so you'd know my weaknesses.... when you try to kill me... EEK!

Reactions: Amy

AnnaLovesVlogging

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I don't script my vlogs per se, but I usually write down a few points I want to make so I stay on track. When I get an idea for a video, I usually develop it in my mind for a little while (in the shower, while driving, etc.) and write down the major points I want to make.

But it depends on the video too. Sometimes, I have one big idea and just improv it through the whole video, while for other topics, I write down a lot of notes.

When I don't have a clear idea of what I'm going to do, editing takes a lot more time. I have more clip rearranging to do, more "blank stare at the camera" segments to skip through, and it's a lot more work to make it a cohesive video as a whole.

I can't imagine totally writing a script for a vlog. I'm not a big fan of writing (which is kind of ironic since I've practically written a novel here) so I would get sick of vlogging really quickly. But it's all about what works for you! :)

Reactions: Symph

Garrick

Reaction score
For my first vlog I gave myself a outline but not a complete script. It gives me the freedom to talk how I want and sound normal and not like I'm ready something but stay on topic

Bryant

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Vlogger, Comedian, Reviewer
Hey, there. I am a reletively new vlogger trying to find my voice. I usually script my vlogs, but a few times I went in unscripted and actually was really pleased with the results.

Is there anyone out there who prefers scriptless vlogging? Is it easier/harder to edit? Do you get a better viewer response?

Let me know. --Ashley
hey! I scripted all of my videos before (well, just key points/outlines). I recently tried turbo vlogging and I didn't use notes or an outline, and I got more views in a shorter amount of time. I think it felt more fluid and came across that way too.

Reactions: Symph

Losoyo

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
For Me personally, I find I do better when I either practice a few times or script. Don't over script, don't come of fake - but give yourself a guideline. If you take a look at my first work and then some of the newer stuff, you'll see a dramatic difference. What I will usually do (though towards the end of my more 'drunken rants vids' it's harder), I will start the camera off (not recording) and go through my ideas a few times. I will then do a run.

For me, I find when I don't script - alot of my flaws show. I have a tendancy to pause alot when I am not scripted or unpracticed.

itspvptime

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
If I vlogged, this is what I would do honestly. Just talk about things that are happening at the moment and some fun past things.

MattsMindMeld

Our Minds are now one
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I make an outline of what I want to talk about but other than that its basically nonscipted.

Now here is a question for you all...What are your thoughts on Pantless Vlogging... lol jk :)