Scriptless vlogging?

dylanmanincfanatic

If My Thought Dreams Could Be Seen...
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey, there. I am a reletively new vlogger trying to find my voice. I usually script my vlogs, but a few times I went in unscripted and actually was really pleased with the results.

Is there anyone out there who prefers scriptless vlogging? Is it easier/harder to edit? Do you get a better viewer response?

Let me know. --Ashley
I generally operate w/i a sketch or rough-draft in any creative endeavor I embark on, but some of my favorite writing has been all free form sometimes just stream of consciousness rambling and ranting... I say don't get too affix to either and keep it dynamic as possible =)

UltimateKirbyBoi

Certified Sorta Cool Guy
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director, Comedian
When I vlog, I try to just follow an outline because you never know when you think of something that's good and relevant on the spot!

CCGAnubys

Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I've scripted most of my videos. I think I've only done like two or three unscripted. I believe it is easier, because I already have an idea of what I'm talking about and/or doing. I spend time thinking of ideas and I write them down. Then I create a whole script. There's people saying that unscripted is better because you don't look like you are reading, well that's where acting comes into play. You're not supposed to read off of it. You supposed to learn your lines and act the video out. Or read the line and then say whatever is written down in a video kind of tone. Reading off of something would be for a reporter like for a news show in where they have no idea of what they are going to say, so they have to read off a teleprompter. But for YouTube it would be better to come up with ideas and write a script. Then act everything out. Simple. If it's hard at the beginning, don't worry, it happened to all of us. Practice makes perfect. But unscripted things most of the time don't turn out as awesome as scripted things do. Just for the simple reason that you actually thought about things and perfected them, instead of just jumping in front of the camera and saying things without even knowing what you are going to say.[DOUBLEPOST=1355125937,1355125532][/DOUBLEPOST]
I thing you should do it scriptless because it should be just you....
I'm sure this is not her case, but not all of us are "Just us". Like me for example, I play a character and I'm not just myself. So I need to go by a script and by different ideas.

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I go unscripted when it comes to random thoughts and rants. However I do think out what I'm gonna say before I turn on the camera. It helps to reduce moments of silence of trying to remember what you were gonna say, and also reduces all the 'ums'.
Just organize your thoughts, use some key words to remind you of what you're gonna say, and just got for it. Usually saying what comes off the top of your head and improvising comes off better and more 'real' than sticking to the script.

CCGAnubys

Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I go unscripted when it comes to random thoughts and rants. However I do think out what I'm gonna say before I turn on the camera. It helps to reduce moments of silence of trying to remember what you were gonna say, and also reduces all the 'ums'.
Just organize your thoughts, use some key words to remind you of what you're gonna say, and just got for it. Usually saying what comes off the top of your head and improvising comes off better and more 'real' than sticking to the script.
Again, I think that the "realness" of the video has nothing to do with a script or not, it just depends on how good you are.

Th3StuffShow

YTtalk Monster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I don't script, but I think about what I want to say, and then press REC and go for it..... I usually trip over my thoughts, and start over. I can sometimes do this 3 or 4 times before I feel I said what I wanted to say. So it might not have been scripted, but by improvising a few times before it kind of gave me practice.

ChannelOlli

High quality gaming guides!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I use scripts because I'm not a native English speaker so it's easier for me :)