Alexander Hoff

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
  • Custom thumbnails: You don't need to be part of YPP to use custom thumbnails, you just need to have a verified account (by phone)
Thanks for sharing this. Lots of people think they won't be able to use custom thumbnails anymore, for some reason. I don't know why, because I don't think that was ever part of the YPP.

Reaction score
This new rules "only" change what a person can earn from his channel right? I mean, it doesn't stop a new channel to become a bigger one right? It wont stopping you from growing, just like some big channels did at the beginning.
It also changes what YouTube can monetize from that new channel. Who is to know what will happen tomorrow when YouTube feels like ad revenue could be higher so they set their algorithm to favor content that is monetized. It could create a situation where channels that are not monetized lose visibility from recommended and search.

Most of the channels currently operating have been enjoying a time when Google had a wide field of monetizable content for even very niche categories. Now that the monetizable content has consolidated abruptly, I cannot help but think that YouTube will be missing bits of revenue in the small niche cracks where much of the content it's currently showing for recommended and search is not monetizable.. It's very likely that a change to favor monetized videos will occur to compensate.

This would essentially create a dead zone where the only new content is that which pumps money into adsense or paid views to surpass the entry fee.

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Do you have a link to Youtube's source that says this?
I monetise some videos and don't others, and they get promoted the same as far as we can see.
There isn't a source that states this but think about it, why would YouTube want to dish out 1 million views to an unmonetised video when those views could be going to a monetised video and earning money for them? It costs them the more people seeing your video and if it isn't running ads then surely that would be some kind of loss for them. YouTube are all about money, to me it doesn't make sense that they would have any kind of incentive to promote your videos if they dont earn anything from them themselves.

Reactions: GrillinRandy

Gibbsy3

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It doesn't bother me really. I mean, I liked being a part of the program but I didn't actually monetise my videos anyway. I think I did one when I got onto the program to test it out and then I figured that as a new channel starting out and wanting to gain subscribers putting ads on my content is not a good idea, always been more interested in growing my channel first and then if i got to a point where it was worth it, then I was partnered up and ready to go. As long as we still have the option for custom thumbnails and all the other features i'm happy. Hopefully YouTube won't only suggest monetised content as people are suggesting on here but we will see.

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
My channel is new and therefore obviously so far away from this that it doesn't even matter. However, I feel so sorry for the YouTubers that make short videos such as animators... Does YT even care about them?

Honestly I don't know what the solution should have been, but I am just gutted that they have based it off watch time... Especially for the talented animators and such.
If the quality is good, enough people will watch it.

Yes, it sucks knowing that it takes far longer for me to make a 1-2 minute video than someone doing a quick vlog (or worse, reaction video), but that's always been the case with animation and why I try to use YouTube as a stepping stone for bigger projects and numerous animators rely on Patreon and similar sites.

Cassarilla

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Cartoonist
If anything, I see this as motivation to work harder and post more consistently on youtube. I love doing it. I'm passionate about making music and videos. If I never made anything from it, I'd still do it. However, it is my dream to make a living doing it so that I can have more time to create things, both more quality and quantity of content. I was a bit disheartened about not making the new requirements. Not because of not making money. I was making less than $1 per month anyway. lol But because I realized that I let a rough year personally last year stop me from making things creatively. I have over 4000 hours in total watch time over the lifetime of my channel, but not in the past year. I do meet the 1000+ sub requirement.

My opinion is that creators who are truly passionate about this and the possibility of turning that passion into a way to pay the bills should see the changes as motivation. Let's keep our heads up and keep creating!

Reactions: Shakycow

GrillinRandy

Reaction score
Kind of a bummer for me, I'm not making a whole lot but I do like to watch the money accumulate. I have a little over 1,000 hours of watch time over the last year and 51 subscribers. I just put things I like on my channel and I don't suppose I'll ever get 1000 people that like the stuff I do enough to watch it. As I see it the little guy loses again, story of my life. :'(

UnboxingSve

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Stupid rule. I was getting around 100$ a month with my small channel and with that money I was been able to buy more products for review, upgrade recording equipment, pay for a designer that re-branded my channel, paid for editing software. All these things helped me to grow faster and faster. Now I will be stuck with slow growth until 1k. I think we should help each other here and subscribe to one another channel just to show them how stupid this rule with subscribers is. With watch time I will not have any problem, last year it was around 600k and needed is 240k minutes.

Last edited: