Massive drop in views on kid channels

Before the 8th of July I was 1.2 million a day, then after the 8th of July I dropped to 500k, and there for 20 days I got back to 1.2 million, but the new video works great for 3 days then it disappears, my old videos are working well, the suggestion after the drop was at 14% it came back to 30%.
same here. Old video would spike for a week then loose traffic to nothing

Soon it will be a good time to start petitions and write letters to congress. FTC is killing off a lot of small business. They are not solving, they are ruining small businesses and children's content

The majority of the comments are from obvious kids (hope the FTC isn't storing that data for long) who can't spell and must have been sent there from a popular Roblox channel (the timestamps on all of the comments are similar). I spent a night reading through all of the comments to see if any of my fellow kid creators were in there (since the information was a bit more identifying). Pretty depressing. It is time to hop out of the kids niche guys. Bounce Patrol is pleading for dear life, senators are chastising anything but further restriction, etc. I continue to emphasize that this will go badly. The argument of child protection is too strong, and lawmakers are latching onto it to promote themselves politically. There are more people in the world who are concerned for child privacy than YouTubers whose livelihood will be impacted. Several in the FTC workshop advocated for raising the bar higher than even 13 for data privacy. It'll happen (think pot legalization but more politics friendly/easier), and California will lead the charge. If you are a kid content creator trying to raise your age bar, you are going to find yourself in this same situation again in a few years. YouTube will not defend you, as they aren't now. At this point I'm probably getting annoying but I want to see you all make the best of your lives. Your skills are transferable to other niches - they can't take that from you!
The only thing California leads the charge in is government debt, taxes, violent crime, and plea bargains, but yeah kids need to be protected.

Can anyone explain to me how targeted ads are dangerous to kids? So what if google recorded what you looked for earlier and later advertise you this or that product. It is insane. We are not talking about a crazy man tracking people we are talking about ads. There is nothing wrong with that

Can anyone explain to me how targeted ads are dangerous to kids? So what if google recorded what you looked for earlier and later advertise you this or that product. It is insane. We are not talking about a crazy man tracking people we are talking about ads. There is nothing wrong with that

It is illegal and that makes it wrong. The reason that they are dangerous is because small kids can't tell the difference between advertisements and content. Now, I don't think that tracking is necessarily bad because it could help recommend content but if it is for the purpose of selling ad space, that is an issue.

Soon it will be a good time to start petitions and write letters to congress. FTC is killing off a lot of small business. They are not solving, they are ruining small businesses and children's content
yes, thats what we should do

It is illegal and that makes it wrong. The reason that they are dangerous is because small kids can't tell the difference between advertisements and content. Now, I don't think that tracking is necessarily bad because it could help recommend content but if it is for the purpose of selling ad space, that is an issue.
I am not talking about in video ads like ryan has. I am talking about google ads. How is it illegal and wrong? parents want free content and who is gonna make it for free? TV has ads. The only difference online they can be targeted. It's not big deal at all or wrong. Content is expensive to make and people want it for free. It's like telling a regular employee getting paid is illegal and just wrong. Work for free

Guys, don't forget to leave your feedback on FTC site about the importance of targeted ads https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...-implementation-of-the-childrens-online#open-

Someone left a nice comment on FTC site

"
The ruling to blindly enforce COPPA is short-sighted and will have significant negative consequences if implemented. Children will continue to use YouTube to educate and entertain themselves in 2020, exactly the same way as they did in 2019. They deserve quality content that positively influences their development which can only be produced by content creators that are able to monetize their work through ads or product placement engagements. In absence of a business model, most content creators will not be able to invest their personal resources to continue doing their best work. Nobody is denying the importance of protecting children and young adults, but it is critically important to identify a path that will actually achieve the desired objective.

Specifically on the YouTube platform, the tracking and advertising on children's content can be limited to viewers that are logged into the account and, as a parent, provided explicit permission. Collection of usage data and related targeted advertising for viewers that are not logged in can be limited in scope to a single session. With this approach, YouTube's algorithm will still benefit the viewer by ensuring that the recommendations are appropriate and are based on what the viewer is watching, but the collected information is ultimately discarded. This is similar to how session/transient cookies are often used in browsers to allow the website to function by maintaining the user's preferences as they navigate the site, but then get deleted after the session is completed or the web browser is closed.

This is a new problem which was created by modern technology. We can use the same modern technology to fix it.
"

targeted ads will not be allowed if they suspect the viewer is under 13. Recommending content based on that same data will likely be allowed. As for that genre of creators earning a living, it will have to be from non targeted ads based on the content or presumed audience, not 'known' audience.

Back