Massive drop in views on kid channels

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Quote from article interviewing the business behind Ryan Toysreview.

"Challenges rise any time YouTube or Google changes something internally, she said. But the company has a strong relationship with Google and will "always know what is happening a little bit ahead of time," which is common among big YouTube-focused companies. Managers with tight relationships with Google get word of news beforehand to prepare clients, for instance.

She said Pocket.Watch was anticipating changes to Google within the next year that could affect its kids-focused creators.

Earlier this year, one complaint was made with the FTC against Ryan ToysReview, who was accused of "deceiving" the young audience with sponsored content.

But Pocket.Watch isn't worried, Tucker said.

"Certainly anything that protects the safety and wellness for kids is good," she said. "We are all good with the regulations, we just want to make sure our creators can navigate it well, and also, it showcases how diversifying their revenue streams is important."

If a creator were solely dependent on YouTube, and something happens — from restrictions to new platform regulations — that could hurt business. YouTube creators should be moving onto new platforms and building businesses outside YouTube to protect themselves, she said.

That is also, conveniently, Pocket.Watch's specialty."

https://www.businessinsider.com/pocket-watch-built-youtube-channel-ryan-toysreview-into-business-empire-2019-10
lol and then all these companies depend on one kid - Ryan. When he is old and is not needed I am not sure what they will do

ilikeswords64

Reaction score
Almost everything recommended has science experiment, educational, learning, or some type of buzz word in the title and description. A lot of big channels are creating new channels that start new with all educational content.
Many channel owners are pursuing this tactic. Regardless of the November/December traffic that keywords like educational/science/learning will create, the videos are still child-oriented, will need to be flagged as such, and will be subject to contextual advertising. I was trying to stay positive earlier on, but through a lot of research, observation of the entire FTC COPPA session (was hoping for some flexibility), and in talking with a few semi-informed individuals, I'm recommending a hard turn from the niche. There are a few reasons why riding the 13 y/o line is a pitfall, and impending legislation passed in some states is absolutely working against you. Come January, the big brands are going to comply, flag their content as child-oriented, and just take what they can get (meaning, the traffic that would have went to your channels, many are noticing) with contextual advertising. They've diversified their revenue to other platforms, have merchandise, sponsors, and have a very large following, so continuing to produce makes sense for them. If you have none of the above, change your niche. YouTube is about to kick the legs out from under you in an even worse way. To those of you who are clinging onto hope with these small spikes and lamenting about the good ol' days and how it's good, but "it's not like it used to be", get your eyes off of the numbers and snap out of it. YouTube has directly said that you are going to be negatively impacted. Giving you time to re-orient yourself is the only reason why it didn't go into effect immediately after the ruling. If you are relying on advertising revenue to heat your home and keep your refrigerator full, it is time to move away from kid videos. YouTube is unfortunately about riding trends nowadays. and it is why many of us are in this niche to begin with - kids content inflated immensely. Surf the next wave. Restart before your residual income runs out. Go whisper into your microphone and start creating some ASMR content, cause....... that's apparently what the world wants..... (not really, that's trending downward too). Seriously though... the CPM's are higher elsewhere. Go and don't look back. It is certainly frustrating, but it is reality, I'm coping, and I'm trying to help you all cope too.

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Many channel owners are pursuing this tactic. Regardless of the November/December traffic that keywords like educational/science/learning will create, the videos are still child-oriented, will need to be flagged as such, and will be subject to contextual advertising. I was trying to stay positive earlier on, but through a lot of research, observation of the entire FTC COPPA session (was hoping for some flexibility), and in talking with a few semi-informed individuals, I'm recommending a hard turn from the niche. There are a few reasons why riding the 13 y/o line is a pitfall, and impending legislation passed in some states is absolutely working against you. Come January, the big brands are going to comply, flag their content as child-oriented, and just take what they can get (meaning, the traffic that would have went to your channels, many are noticing) with contextual advertising. They've diversified their revenue to other platforms, have merchandise, sponsors, and have a very large following, so continuing to produce makes sense for them. If you have none of the above, change your niche. YouTube is about to kick the legs out from under you in an even worse way. To those of you who are clinging onto hope with these small spikes and lamenting about the good ol' days and how it's good, but "it's not like it used to be", get your eyes off of the numbers and snap out of it. YouTube has directly said that you are going to be negatively impacted. Giving you time to re-orient yourself is the only reason why it didn't go into effect immediately after the ruling. If you are relying on advertising revenue to heat your home and keep your refrigerator full, it is time to move away from kid videos. YouTube is unfortunately about riding trends nowadays. and it is why many of us are in this niche to begin with - kids content inflated immensely. Surf the next wave. Restart before your residual income runs out. Go whisper into your microphone and start creating some ASMR content, cause....... that's apparently what the world wants..... (not really, that's trending downward too). Seriously though... the CPM's are higher elsewhere. Go and don't look back. It is certainly frustrating, but it is reality, I'm coping, and I'm trying to help you all cope too.
why would an animator go from doing what he likes to making ASMR videos ;) FTC morons will have to change something in 2020 after they find out what they've done

Reactions: Leal

ianmacdon

I've Got It
Reaction score
Views are back on the upswing but they have fallen so far that it Is no longer sustainable for me.
My views are up about 50% since Sept 25th, but they would have to go up 1000% to be back to even close to where I was., It's a nice beginning, I wonder if they will go through with ruining it on January 1st...

• Sad
Reactions: markkaz

ilikeswords64

Reaction score
The majority of the comments are from obvious kids (hope the FTC isn't storing that data for long) who can't spell and must have been sent there from a popular Roblox channel (the timestamps on all of the comments are similar). I spent a night reading through all of the comments to see if any of my fellow kid creators were in there (since the information was a bit more identifying). Pretty depressing. It is time to hop out of the kids niche guys. Bounce Patrol is pleading for dear life, senators are chastising anything but further restriction, etc. I continue to emphasize that this will go badly. The argument of child protection is too strong, and lawmakers are latching onto it to promote themselves politically. There are more people in the world who are concerned for child privacy than YouTubers whose livelihood will be impacted. Several in the FTC workshop advocated for raising the bar higher than even 13 for data privacy. It'll happen (think pot legalization but more politics friendly/easier), and California will lead the charge. If you are a kid content creator trying to raise your age bar, you are going to find yourself in this same situation again in a few years. YouTube will not defend you, as they aren't now. At this point I'm probably getting annoying but I want to see you all make the best of your lives. Your skills are transferable to other niches - they can't take that from you!

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score

lejack

Reaction score
Before the 8th of July I was 1.2 million a day, then after the 8th of July I dropped to 500k, and there for 20 days I got back to 1.2 million, but the new video works great for 3 days then it disappears, my old videos are working well, the suggestion after the drop was at 14% it came back to 30%.

Reactions: dv2000