Is it okay, for a channel to grow slowly, at the start?

I'm really determined to grow but I understand that "Gaming" is really hard to get noticed in as so many people do it, but no matter what I'm going to keep making videos : D. Thank you for the advice, do you have a method which has worked, or is still working for you?

I grew mainly through reddit. But I haven't seen anyone with a gaming channel at least in this forum be able to grow that way yet.

no gains = bad videos + bad marketing
slow gains = good videos + bad marketing (or mediocre videos and marketing)
fast gains = good videos + good marketing

What is good marketing? Putting your videos out there for the right people to view your videos. If it's good, that translates to lots of views n' subs.

If you make a good video, but the topic is not hot right now and you aren't showing it to the right forums, subreddits or chat rooms you will still get slow views n' subs.

You gotta do both.

example: Pretend my channel is about a nerd who reviews video games in his basement but at the same time does funny skits that will appeal strongly to teenagers. I put it on the IGN forums, and all the teenagers who play video games subscribe because the content is perfect for this demographic. I now have 1k subs within a few days.

I think it's definitely okay for a channel to grow slowly at the start. Take the youtuber AmazingPhil (one half of Dan and Phil) who has been on YouTube for 9 years. It took 9 years for him to get where he is now, which is over 3 million and a half subscribers. Obviously he is one of the lucky ones. But it still took him time, and I believe for him it took about a year to gain 100 subscribers. You don't just magically get subscribers as soon as you create your channel, it will take massive amounts of time. You just have to be patient with it.

I grew mainly through reddit. But I haven't seen anyone with a gaming channel at least in this forum be able to grow that way yet.
A friend of mine who started his channel at the same time as me got roughly 120 out of his 180 subscribers through Reddit. He makes somewhat high-brow gaming content, though, and posts to subreddits like r/games (which is pretty strict about content).

no gains = bad videos + bad marketing
slow gains = good videos + bad marketing (or mediocre videos and marketing)
fast gains = good videos + good marketing

What is good marketing? Putting your videos out there for the right people to view your videos. If it's good, that translates to lots of views n' subs.

If you make a good video, but the topic is not hot right now and you aren't showing it to the right forums, subreddits or chat rooms you will still get slow views n' subs.

You gotta do both.

example: Pretend my channel is about a nerd who reviews video games in his basement but at the same time does funny skits that will appeal strongly to teenagers. I put it on the IGN forums, and all the teenagers who play video games subscribe because the content is perfect for this demographic. I now have 1k subs within a few days.

When you say the "Topic isn't hot right now" is that for gaming?

A friend of mine who started his channel at the same time as me got roughly 120 out of his 180 subscribers through Reddit. He makes somewhat high-brow gaming content, though, and posts to subreddits like r/games (which is pretty strict about content).
I never get any luck with Reddit XD I don't know why, they seem to either ignore me or hate me XD

I'm guessing reddit is the place for gaming then? Haha. So should I start (not promoting) but joining reddit to get to know people there?

When you say the "Topic isn't hot right now" is that for gaming?
That can be for anything.

example: Let's say I have a book review channel. There is a new book out called "Harry Potter and the chamber of who cares". I would make a video either reviewing the book, expressing my enthusiasm for it coming out, or just talk about it in general. It's very important to make a connection with my target audience for maximum efficiency.

How do you find out what's hot? You need to find specific news sources talking about that category of products. Then I would use Adwords Keyword Planner tool to see how many people are searching up this term to gauge its popularity.

Last edited:
I never get any luck with Reddit XD I don't know why, they seem to either ignore me or hate me XD

I can't believe it took him 9 years! and that's annoying that people ignore you :(

Sorry for the long reply, my internet is really slow today and I'm not too sure why.

Back