How to grow a large gaming channel.

Jsnow

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Is there an alternative for r/gaming or reddit in general as this guide was made before the many policy changes? Reddit or at least mods of subbreddits are cracking down on self posted and even videos in general. Posting to r/gaming will get you removed in a few minutes and possibly "shadowbanned". I noticed this after they changed the rules heavily so unless someone posts your video you will never hit the front page and even videos that do only get a few votes (usually down) but not enough to pass the meme's.

Now onto specific subs i'm lucky i have a small relationship with r/dayz. Some of my videos did really well and others tanked hard but people in that reddit do respond to me even when I'm not posting videos cause some redditors know who I am. But then for some subs like r/rust there are no videos allowed and they force you into a "game specific lp reddit" which is usually a ghost town if not already a dead subreddit.

Lastly there is the 9 to 1 ratio or whatever it is rule where if you post to much self content (I think just 10% total) you can get shadowbanned from the whole site. Basically meaning everything you link will automatically be thrown into the "global spam filter" leaving it up to mods of the specific reddit to check (hopefully the sub it's in has active mods :/)

Side note:For social media i'm currently using twitter and google+(forced lol). I tried facebook and failed horribly and I'm still questioning tumbler

GeekyNet

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Do you have any suggestions for a channel with 1,094 subs & 260k views that is all about one game? I cover WoW, but want to cover other games, but can't figure out how I should introduce new content/game genres into my channel.

KerrTheBlurr

Reaction score
Reading this brought tears to my eyes, what a beautiful and inspiring read for me.

JustAnotherLoser

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Thanks for the advices! I'll have to try reddit one day or another, people keep telling me it's awesome haha.
And thanks for the gateway videos tips, I'll think about it too =D

AssassinPandaYT

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Good guide! I'm not a fan of Reddit because many scumbags deliver a lot of hate

RustyPieLover

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Good guide, really hits the mark. I recently lost ten subscribers this morning, took a nasty blow to my feels. and it really sucks, but i have to agree. You have to be unique if you plan to do a gaming channel, because let's face it, PewDiePie, Markiplier and many more have taken that top spot, and most people will stay with them forever. It is EXCRUCIATINGLY hard for newer channel to get noticed, without being classified as a "copy of x Youtuber". I've done this for a whole year, and im right back this morning, when i hit my 1 year anniversary- 437 subs :/. Getting noticed, despite using reddit/twitter/facebook is TRULY a mission, if you get it right, congratulations! :D