How ANYONE can monetize gameplay WITHOUT a network: A lesson in Fair Use

AFTER reading this thread... (select all that apply)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flammy

Shooting Down Idiots
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
What do you mean by "claiming" videos? Is that kind of like that the videos just get automatically monetized when submitted and bypass the YouTube review process?
I'm wondering about this too! I cannot be that simply because you are partnered with a network you can bypass the whole review system?
Yes, the claim replaces the 'monetization review' phase. It is automatic and can't be denied. Of course you can still get in trouble for uploading copyrighted content, but at that point monetizing vs not hardly matters.

VlogRays

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yes, the claim replaces the 'monetization review' phase. It is automatic and can't be denied. Of course you can still get in trouble for uploading copyrighted content, but at that point monetizing vs not hardly matters.
This is one of the reasons why I joined a network. I hated working really hard on a video and then it get denied ads for no reason. Oh and the almost instant support I get with Fullscreen. If that costs me a little bit of my ad revenue then so be it.

BlacklightDemon

YT Talk's Witcher
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
This is a great post. It really helped me. I've not got strikes on YouTube, but I do have a 'matched 3rd party content' for 2 videos on gaming (for the music oddly, but the music is part of the game so there isn't much I can do about it, I guess).

I've acknowledged it for now, but to be honest the music ques in the game. I did not add it after in editing, so I am a little confused about the whole thing :confused:

Flammy

Shooting Down Idiots
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
This is a great post. It really helped me. I've not got strikes on YouTube, but I do have a 'matched 3rd party content' for 2 videos on gaming (for the music oddly, but the music is part of the game so there isn't much I can do about it, I guess).

I've acknowledged it for now, but to be honest the music ques in the game. I did not add it after in editing, so I am a little confused about the whole thing :confused:
The music in game can be licensed to someone else, and you would need to have their permission to use their music on YouTube. This is very common in racing games for example, where there are 'radios' and such. Depending on what the copyright owner wants to do, they can either monetize your video (because it has their audio), block it, give you a copyright strike, or just let it be (and collect analytics data).

Shortbread

Reaction score
The music in game can be licensed to someone else, and you would need to have their permission to use their music on YouTube. This is very common in racing games for example, where there are 'radios' and such. Depending on what the copyright owner wants to do, they can either monetize your video (because it has their audio), block it, give you a copyright strike, or just let it be (and collect analytics data).
I'd just like to add that if you're playing a game with a licensed soundtrack, turn the music volume setting to 0 before recording so there's no chance of getting a Content ID match.

Reactions: Flammy

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
When partnered the video's get monetized directly indeed. Your network is now responsible for you but you also signed a contract that you wont use copyrighted materials.
As longs as you don't do that you will be safe. If you don't it's possible your network deletes the video if lucky or the income will go to the person that created the "Copyrighted material" and worse case you get a copyright strike.
It's kinda contradictory.... you can be sponsored by a gaming channel as long you don't use copyrighted content... but the gaming videos in themselves are copyrighted content...

Flammy

Shooting Down Idiots
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It's kinda contradictory.... you can be sponsored by a gaming channel as long you don't use copyrighted content... but the gaming videos in themselves are copyrighted content...
Ha, you're absolutely right. It is completely contradictory. And it is there because the contract favors the network and protecting them in case of potential lawsuits. Of course they don't mind making a profit off of the gray-area... just if it comes to such a time when the lawyers are knocking on the doors, they will just shrug and say "Channel signed this saying they take full responsibility for uploading!"

Robinson

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
okay okay so, if I want to monetize my gaming videos on my channel, I have to get permission from every game maker and ask them ??

Flammy

Shooting Down Idiots
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
okay okay so, if I want to monetize my gaming videos on my channel, I have to get permission from every game maker and ask them ??
NO.

Just read the entire first post again, k?

Status
Not open for further replies.