How ANYONE can monetize gameplay WITHOUT a network: A lesson in Fair Use

AFTER reading this thread... (select all that apply)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Parallax Abstraction

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer
So when YouTube comes back and asks me to assert that I have commercial rights to the footage in certain videos, would you say I'm OK to say yes based on fair use or does them saying that mean I shouldn't monetize those videos? Again, I don't consider your advice binding in any way. :)

Flammy

Shooting Down Idiots
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
So when YouTube comes back and asks me to assert that I have commercial rights to the footage in certain videos, would you say I'm OK to say yes based on fair use or does them saying that mean I shouldn't monetize those videos? Again, I don't consider your advice binding in any way. :)
I tried writing up a fair use permissions thing but YouTube never accepted it in my case so after the first 5 or so all got denied I stopped bothering. It wasn't about the money in the first place so if I couldn't monetize all of my videos... meh. whatever.

Ideally you can google search around and find written permission from the copyright holder.

If that doesn't work hopefully you can find contact info for someone who might be able to give such. (EA has a monetization request email they run, for example)

If that doens't work you're probably in the same boat as me.

Parallax Abstraction

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer
Unfortunately, most of the companies whose videos I have featured lately either have no stated policy or like Capcom, say they won't give written permission but it's generally assumed that they don't care.

So based on what I've read, your advice would be to enable monetization but if YouTube requires an assertion of ownership on any, just don't monetize those ones?

Flammy

Shooting Down Idiots
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Unfortunately, most of the companies whose videos I have featured lately either have no stated policy or like Capcom, say they won't give written permission but it's generally assumed that they don't care.

So based on what I've read, your advice would be to enable monetization but if YouTube requires an assertion of ownership on any, just don't monetize those ones?
If they come back and say "you need to provide proof" then I just ignore them. Frustrating, but not really anything we can do about it. Note: having cut scenes or similar screens that will exactly match other games is likely to increase your chances of getting denied.

Parallax Abstraction

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer
Alright, that's what I will do then. If I do decide to pursue partnership with a network in the future, I will leave it to them to explain up front how they will be able to help me solve this issue on a consistent basis. Thanks very much for your help!

Flammy

Shooting Down Idiots
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Alright, that's what I will do then. If I do decide to pursue partnership with a network in the future, I will leave it to them to explain up front how they will be able to help me solve this issue on a consistent basis. Thanks very much for your help!
One definite benefit is being in a network means you 'claim' videos rather than 'monetization with review' so there is no chance of them getting denied.

Parallax Abstraction

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer
What do you mean by "claiming" videos? Is that kind of like that the videos just get automatically monetized when submitted and bypass the YouTube review process?

SuddenlyNinja

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer
What do you mean by "claiming" videos? Is that kind of like that the videos just get automatically monetized when submitted and bypass the YouTube review process?
I'm wondering about this too! I cannot be that simply because you are partnered with a network you can bypass the whole review system?

skenkee

Mr. Blue
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm wondering about this too! I cannot be that simply because you are partnered with a network you can bypass the whole review system?
When partnered the video's get monetized directly indeed. Your network is now responsible for you but you also signed a contract that you wont use copyrighted materials.
As longs as you don't do that you will be safe. If you don't it's possible your network deletes the video if lucky or the income will go to the person that created the "Copyrighted material" and worse case you get a copyright strike.

Status
Not open for further replies.