Goals for Beginners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pedals & Stuff

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
But you can set to high goals and get frustrated 20 subs and 500 views is a good realistic target, you can always up it if you hit it.
You could do it this way but then, after 2-3 years you sit at 100-200 subs and few thousand views...for that amount of time/work put into a channel it's just pointless. Unless you're doing it just for yourself, then it's completely fine.

I use myself as an example:
I started doing guitar pedal demo videos because I enjoy watching them and I play the guitar. At the moment it's purely a hobby, I do not get paid for it.
My first goal is to get about 1000-2000 views per video (on average). Also I want my videos ranked on a first page when people search a pedal on youtube (at the moment most of my videos are).
Pedal makers send out guitar gear to established guys to demo...so if I do well this can happen and I can make it my part time job.
If in 3 years I still have 200-300 subscribers I can say that I gave it a shot but I'm not good enough (or rather videos I choose to make are not).

I mean to say you should have a goal. Not just 20 subs a year but something bigger. If you're ok with making stuff mainly for yourself then it's cool but you use youtube to share your content with other people I assume?

BobbyBuckets

Reaction score
It really depends on how good you are at what you do. If you don't have any practice with marketing, content development, SEO, etc. then 100 subs is probably a good goal. For me 100 subs wasn't that hard but I have a lot of practice with social media marketing, SEO and what not so my first goal is really 1000 subs, if I can hit that in the next 1-2 months I will be happy.[DOUBLEPOST=1448489703,1448489044][/DOUBLEPOST]
But you can set to high goals and get frustrated 20 subs and 500 views is a good realistic target, you can always up it if you hit it.
Not trying to be mean but if it takes you 1 year to get 20 subs and 500 views then either Youtube is not for you or you did not try at all. I've been doing youtube seriously for about a month and a half and I'm about 150 subs and 17.5k views. I had some marketing and social media experience before hand, but even with no knowledge of how to get your videos out there you should be over 10k views in the first year provided all you do is put out a couple videos per week and title them correctly.

Lrulesok

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It really depends on how good you are at what you do. If you don't have any practice with marketing, content development, SEO, etc. then 100 subs is probably a good goal. For me 100 subs wasn't that hard but I have a lot of practice with social media marketing, SEO and what not so my first goal is really 1000 subs, if I can hit that in the next 1-2 months I will be happy.[DOUBLEPOST=1448489703,1448489044][/DOUBLEPOST]
Not trying to be mean but if it takes you 1 year to get 20 subs and 500 views then either Youtube is not for you or you did not try at all. I've been doing youtube seriously for about a month and a half and I'm about 150 subs and 17.5k views. I had some marketing and social media experience before hand, but even with no knowledge of how to get your videos out there you should be over 10k views in the first year provided all you do is put out a couple videos per week and title them correctly.
All I am saying is that for someone who has like zero experience, that is a good realistic goal

BobbyBuckets

Reaction score
All I am saying is that for someone who has like zero experience, that is a good realistic goal
It may be realistic but it's not much of a goal. I might say going for an F in a class is a realistic goal, but is it really a goal if I don't have to put in any effort to do it?

Lrulesok

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You could do it this way but then, after 2-3 years you sit at 100-200 subs and few thousand views...for that amount of time/work put into a channel it's just pointless. Unless you're doing it just for yourself, then it's completely fine.

I use myself as an example:
I started doing guitar pedal demo videos because I enjoy watching them and I play the guitar. At the moment it's purely a hobby, I do not get paid for it.
My first goal is to get about 1000-2000 views per video (on average). Also I want my videos ranked on a first page when people search a pedal on youtube (at the moment most of my videos are).
Pedal makers send out guitar gear to established guys to demo...so if I do well this can happen and I can make it my part time job.
If in 3 years I still have 200-300 subscribers I can say that I gave it a shot but I'm not good enough (or rather videos I choose to make are not).

I mean to say you should have a goal. Not just 20 subs a year but something bigger. If you're ok with making stuff mainly for yourself then it's cool but you use youtube to share your content with other people I assume?
Well done on been so successful and its not my target as I have been on youtube over a year. But I see 20 subs as really the first hurdle just as 100 subs is then 1000 subs.[DOUBLEPOST=1448491877,1448491659][/DOUBLEPOST]
It may be realistic but it's not much of a goal. I might say going for an F in a class is a realistic goal, but is it really a goal if I don't have to put in any effort to do it?
Ok lets put this in context, most people who start Youtube, will start it as a hobby. So they will put as much effort in as they do with any other hobby. So to have aims in a hobby, people will generally make realistic goals to hit. I know for football my aim was to score a goal per season (I play right back on a team who lost 7-0 most weeks) so that was realistic. These are smart targets

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
As of October 4th of 2015 I had 24 subscribers and those were friends and people I was connected to on social media.
As of the 4th of Oct I made a point of approaching Youtube a bit more serious.
My channel is centered around cooking, BBQ specifically.
Since the 4th of Oct I've been posting a bbq sauce recipe every 1st and 3rd Sunday each month.
I also make sure to quickly respond to all comments.
I usually share my videos over social groups on Facebook.
As of today I have 111 subscribers.
I also notice I get a bump in subs for a couple days after I post a new video.
One of the other things I believe has helped is that I have subbed to similar channels and others I like and I usually take a couple hours 1 or 2 days a week to watch new videos they post and make a comment on the video. This usually leads to interaction between me and the owner of the channel. Many times other subscribers will usually stop by your channel and take a look at the new person commenting.
My comments are not generic like..."good video" it's usually a detailed comment or question about the video.

hope this helps.

Reactions: Willabee
Status
Not open for further replies.