Common issues that keep you under 1,000 subscribers

Philli

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi All - I could use some advice but first I'll try to answer Tim's 2 questions:
1) Why care about a relationship with me?
A) It's really difficult. As one person stated, having a gaming channel is more about have a personal relationship with the gamer. But I feel that I'm not getting noticed as much as I was hoping for. My channel is quite new and I am new to this. I guess my answer would be "I've been through a lot in my life. Married when I was 23 to a woman who would divorce me in 10 years because she goes through self discovery and is a lesbian. In that marriage, we had 3 kids of which 2 have a terminal disease and medical care was so expensive we had to move to Finland in order to receive care. After divorce, i've been through a series of ups and downs in relationships. One woman attempted suicide after admitting she was a closet alcoholic and suffering from an eating disorder. I recently quit my job because it was having such a negative effect on my emotions that it was pouring into my personal life and I didn't want any part of that. I'm doing Youtube as an outlet as a way of tapping back into my creative passion. I also played video games a s**t ton when i was growing up. I haven't really grown up at all so I thought I'd give Youtube a shot. Why care about a relationship with me? Because perhaps maybe you've gone through a lot of pain and struggle in your life and you're still chugging away at it and want to enjoy a few laughs while watching someone play some games."

2) Why does a relationship with me matter?
A) As people who have been through a lot of struggle, we can relate and bounce positivity off of each other. We can confide in one another and be open about our pain and struggles with our circumstances in life.

Now, I'm not sure how I take those answers, and actually BRAND it into my gaming videos? Any advice regarding that? A little background about my channel, phillibluebeard: My last name is Phillips so I have been called Philli most of my life. Filly is also a newborn female horse. Growing up on a farm, I thought it would be a cool idea to use that as an avatar. However, Im a dude so I wanted to somehow correlate the two. I have blue eyes and a beard so I thought I'll have a horse avatar with long lashes for the female side, and a beard for the male side, and promote it as a gender neutral horse. After all, male and females both enjoy playing games these days.

Sadly, at this point (which isn't a very old channel by any stretch), I'm not sure if my questions I answered relate in any way shape or form to my avatar. Perhaps it's just a big cluster f**k of an attempt. To be fair, I chose the avatar and name long before I had the opportunity to answer those questions. Perhaps given my answers, I should start a new channel called "The Cursed Gamer" lol

Feel free to have a look at the channel and offer any advice. I'm all ears. I hope I've worked with yttalk preferences correctly so that when I hit "post" it shows you my channel's link.

Seriously, if you've made it this far, thanks for your kindness with reading through this all.

MyaB

Reaction score
@TimSchmoyer We've watched a few of your getting started in YouTube videos. Can you do a video on getting started when you are in a niche market. One suggestion which I think will be be helpful is doing searchable videos Do you have any other suggestions for videos that probably won't get ranked within 3 days.

Gracev1011

I've Got It
Reaction score
I feel that promoting your channel is a important part of getting past that 1k sub mark! For example I know a guy who is very popular on Twitter and he would post his youtube videos on his social media and he already has 1k subs! also maybe posting a hot topic or a video response to things that people commonly search up.

Reactions: Philli

Smartie

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey Tim, some great advice. Mind giving me some advice and tips on my channel? I just started, but I think progressing well, video by video. Really haven't got a critic to go in depth with my material.

bakrakhajao

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
i had made channel 1 month ago and i have 750 subscriber...! i will follow your guidance to improve more.. thanks

Stabbathehut

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
What sort of tags do you use for gaming? I know generic tag for the game but do you also do tag baiting?

WesmyGaming

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
These are all great advices, the execution is still challenging I think, but I, for one, will do my best to maybe some day get there, hopefully[DOUBLEPOST=1472956545,1472956398][/DOUBLEPOST]
i had made channel 1 month ago and i have 750 subscriber...! i will follow your guidance to improve more.. thanks
Wow, congratulations, care to share some tips?

BreakOfYawn

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
2. Poor titles and thumbnails.
It doesn't matter how awesome your content is if the thumbnails and titles aren't engaging, enticing, and attract people to click. That doesn't mean you should be misleading and tease a story that really isn't in the video -- that will backfire every time -- but it means knowing what the true value of your video is for someone and then crafting a "billboard" for it (title and thumbnail) that accurately pitches its value.
Do thumbnails and annotations really help a video? I've always viewed it as a P.I.T.A. and x out of it immediately.

I'm just getting started and only have a few thousand views, but I'm appreciative of your tips. B.O.Y. is a music promotions channel that has a static image with great music in the background. I'm hoping that people let the playlists run, while they surf the net, drive in traffic or whatever they have going on. It's not really designed to be a "must watch" video.

I'm always looking for tips/suggestions to get better. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Jbarker91

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Do thumbnails and annotations really help a video? I've always viewed it as a P.I.T.A. and x out of it immediately.

I'm just getting started and only have a few thousand views, but I'm appreciative of your tips. B.O.Y. is a music promotions channel that has a static image with great music in the background. I'm hoping that people let the playlists run, while they surf the net, drive in traffic or whatever they have going on. It's not really designed to be a "must watch" video.

I'm always looking for tips/suggestions to get better. Thanks for taking the time to share.
I guess I've never really considered how much of a difference the thumbnails and titles could make. This is a nice post