Big Advertisers Leaving YouTube/Google

chottom

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
For now - Marks and Spencer, UK government, RBS, Lloyds and HSBC (the fourth largest bank in the world). Sky and Vodafone most probably are next.

The reason: these brands ads were appearing alongside rape apologists, anti-Semites, hate preachers and so on videos. Basically the brands were sponsoring the organizations behind these videos.

Here is the complete article:

bbc.com/news/business-39325916

The last sentence of the article is quite interesting:
"Every incident like this gives Facebook an opportunity to steal a march on Google," he said.

In anyway if Google does not fix this issue - and if it does not fix it fast - the good days of YouTube are behind us (I think).

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
Good! The invisible hand will clean up the place!

Reactions: chottom

XXXL Gamer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hopefully this will lead to a clean up of youtube and removed the more unsavoury sides of it

chottom

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
The problem (imo) aren't the people who are making those videos, but it's google's fault for such poor advertising placement!
I agree that Google bears the biggest responsibility in this case. Crooks will always try to make profit of anything and Google is the one who enabled them to do so on their platform (YouTube).
I do not think the typical excuse - too many videos to police them all - will work anymore.

XXXL Gamer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The problem (imo) aren't the people who are making those videos, but it's google's fault for such poor advertising placement!
I think its a mixture, I'm all for free speech but blatant inflammatory should not be allowed but also google should monitor where they place there ad's better and quickly before they lose to many companies

Reactions: Devin and chottom

wasabiroots

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
That's why they're implementing the agegate/restrictions that I was talking about in another thread. It all makes sense. No advertisers wants to get their ads alongside people who swears a lot, etc. YouTube/google lives off of adverts and there's a lot of content creators still on the rise, so they wont lose much if older successful ones falls when they're not even getting the big advertisers in the first place from said bigger youtubers.

Edit added: The AgeGate thing going on is definitely a start, to something bigger for youtube to get their advertisers back. Definitely something else is coming. We'll see how it goes. Lol~

Last edited:
Reactions: Devin and chottom

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
I've said in other posts but I used be a tv director for sports, talk shows and news. All tv shows must inform advertisers of the content of the program if it's scripted (usually meaning not live) and give them a chance to endorse with ad money or withdraw. For things like news, you can't do that but they give out an expectation of what will air and what things will never be aired. Maybe for example if there's a crime scene you won't show blood, etc.

So why should YouTube be any different?

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
While it makes sense to avoid the spread of obviously dangerous ideas, I wonder if there will be people caught in the crossfire (for instance, how to tell apart someone who mocks those extremists through a parody and who is actually an extremist? An automated system can't tell that)