Big Advertisers Leaving YouTube/Google

KidsCorner

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Looks like this issue isnt going away. In the news today they are now discussing channels that serve inappropriate videos to children that are disturbing Or have sexual undertones. Search google news for "youtube". The articles say youtube shut down channels after the newspaper asked youtube for comment on them.

I wonder how this affects youtube trends for kids channels. These videos are very popular.
Yes very curious about this myself too, I heard it on the radio here as well yesterday that YouTube is facing companies boycotting them currently. Don't think restricted mode or the kids app (not available in many countries) is going to take advertisers/media pressure off. Would be surprised if YT lets this one sit to resolve itself in a couple of weeks/months.

Mostly Tech

Reaction score
Well I have definitely seen a drop in advertiser revenue from this. The last two days (March 26, 27) my income was cut 40-50%. My videos are perfectly advertiser friendly and I've actually had an increase in views and watch time during the same period. I guess those big brands had ads on my videos. It appears I will have to focus more on generating affiliate/sponsor/Patreon revenue to make up for these kind of dips.

FRANKIEandEMILY

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
For now - Marks and Spencer, UK government, RBS, Lloyds and HSBC (the fourth largest bank in the world). Sky and Vodafone most probably are next.

The reason: these brands ads were appearing alongside rape apologists, anti-Semites, hate preachers and so on videos. Basically the brands were sponsoring the organizations behind these videos.

Here is the complete article:

bbc.com/news/business-39325916

The last sentence of the article is quite interesting:
"Every incident like this gives Facebook an opportunity to steal a march on Google," he said.

In anyway if Google does not fix this issue - and if it does not fix it fast - the good days of YouTube are behind us (I think).

YouTube is still the biggest video sharing platform at the moment and the advertisers know this. It's basically a wake up call to YouTube to fix a problem and also the adverts of course want more targeted control (that's their dream come true)...the end of the day they will resolve the problem behind the scenes and both compromise because they need one another.

Redterrors

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Well I have definitely seen a drop in advertiser revenue from this. The last two days (March 26, 27) my income was cut 40-50%. My videos are perfectly advertiser friendly and I've actually had an increase in views and watch time during the same period. I guess those big brands had ads on my videos. It appears I will have to focus more on generating affiliate/sponsor/Patreon revenue to make up for these kind of dips.
How do you know 3/27's numbers before Google reports them?

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I wish YouTube would do a blanket sweep and get rid of that type of content anyway. The majority of the people don't want that crap anyway.

Reactions: chottom

World's Greatest

Reaction score
The last two days (March 26, 27) my income was cut 40-50%. My videos are perfectly advertiser friendly and I've actually had an increase in views and watch time during the same period.
Same thing just happened to me on the 26th and 27th. My views and watch time are on the incline as well.

winson yuen

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've heard that big companies like Walmart, pepsi, and others have pulled off their ads on youtube after it being displayed before racist and offensive videos. They play a huge role in bringing in revenues for youtubers who make videos for living. This is also a huge threat to us smaller creators. I'm not sure what exactly happened but this is scary to think that youtube might be over. Less revenue=less content!

What do you guys think about this?

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Youtube is not over.
They are working on fixing the issues that the advertisers had issues with - actually, i think they've done it already..
YouTube will kiss some butt and in no time the advertisers will be back.. There is no way Pepsi, Walmart, Whoever can ignore the bazillion viewers per day that YouTube shows.

winson yuen

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Youtube is not over.
They are working on fixing the issues that the advertisers had issues with - actually, i think they've done it already..
YouTube will kiss some butt and in no time the advertisers will be back.. There is no way Pepsi, Walmart, Whoever can ignore the bazillion viewers per day that YouTube shows.
You think so? John Scarce made a video concerning this today. Initially Coke stayed after the whole situation but apparently they pulled off ADS too.

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Check back in 6 months.. You wont even remember that this happened..
And let's not forget, it's John Scarce's job to make hype out of nothing to get you all scared and worked up so you tune in to his next video for a breathless update..

Last edited: