Big Advertisers Leaving YouTube/Google

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
Last year both in Europe and US important political decisions were influenced by "faked news" (usually sponsored by Russian special services) and social media and news websites played important role in it.
I can confirm Google and other big websites are trying to make life of fake news websites harder (for example, scientifical misinformation or manipulation of facts), but as per usual I rhetorically ask: Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
Because that's why television is terrible. It has to abide the whims of advertising money, and that dictates what kind of content is acceptable or not and is controlled by their viewpoint. Turning youtube into TV will be horrible and produce the same garbage.
If that's your opinion fine. I don't like many tv shows either. But, to deliver something to practically everyone on earth, that's the best and easiest way to deliver it.

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Just heard about this yesterday. Big names like Pepsi and Walmart don't want their brands associated with YouTube due to having controversial videos showing their ads. I wonder how this will affect revenue and views. I don't think I have those companies ads on my videos, but what if everybody decided to follow? I am no where near making a living off of YT, but some people are and this could be devastating. Thoughts? Just add an h to the beginning of the below link to see the article, this site won't let me post full links.

ttp://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/big-brands-pull-ads-youtube-widening-boycott-46359594

Redterrors

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
I look at this news as a positive. For starters, youtube should limit advertising on videos to channels that get to certain levels (sub and view counts). I would like to see channels grow that are not just in it for the money. If you are willing to put in hard work and not get paid for a while then you are probably in it for the right reasons. I also think this is the closest thing yet that has the power to knock off all of the inappropriate channels that produce nothing but bad baby, bad kid drives, eating feces, elsa vs spiderman, and other mess like the Toy Freaks channel. I completely support free speech, but if your channel is designed to attract kids, your free speech stops right there. The Agegate thing sounds like a huge positive. The problem is most kids watch youtube with their parents account logged in or no account logged in at all. Youtube needs to figure out a way to stop the inappropriate trends on kid videos on youtube.

Reactions: FamilyToyReview

GeekyNet

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I look at this news as a positive. For starters, youtube should limit advertising on videos to channels that get to certain levels (sub and view counts). I would like to see channels grow that are not just in it for the money. If you are willing to put in hard work and not get paid for a while then you are probably in it for the right reasons. I also think this is the closest thing yet that has the power to knock off all of the inappropriate channels that produce nothing but bad baby, bad kid drives, eating feces, elsa vs spiderman, and other mess like the Toy Freaks channel. I completely support free speech, but if your channel is designed to attract kids, your free speech stops right there. The Agegate thing sounds like a huge positive. The problem is most kids watch youtube with their parents account logged in or no account logged in at all. Youtube needs to figure out a way to stop the inappropriate trends on kid videos on youtube.
Wow, I just looked up elsa vs spiderman because I had never heard of it...Those videos are cancerously annoying.
Seriously, that's some low quality stuff right there bringing in hundreds of thousands of dollars...

One of my competitors in my gaming niche actually left the game/his channel to start a kids toy channel with his daughter. They're making thousands of dollars too. Kids channels seem to be the way to go, but unlike that abomination of Spiderman and Elsa, the guy who left WoW actually does some pretty neat toy unboxings.

Scootakip [Lana]

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Why the hell are rape apologists and hate preachers allowed to monetize their videos?[DOUBLEPOST=1490575341,1490575262][/DOUBLEPOST]
Wow, I just looked up elsa vs spiderman because I had never heard of it...Those videos are cancerously annoying.
Seriously, that's some low quality stuff right there bringing in hundreds of thousands of dollars...

One of my competitors in my gaming niche actually left the game/his channel to start a kids toy channel with his daughter. They're making thousands of dollars too. Kids channels seem to be the way to go, but unlike that abomination of Spiderman and Elsa, the guy who left WoW actually does some pretty neat toy unboxings.
Don't worry, the Elsa Spiderman videos are view-botted. As far as I can tell, view-botted videos don't make money from ads (from the views that are botted, anyways)

FamilyToyReview

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Looks like this issue isnt going away. In the news today they are now discussing channels that serve inappropriate videos to children that are disturbing Or have sexual undertones. Search google news for "youtube". The articles say youtube shut down channels after the newspaper asked youtube for comment on them.

I wonder how this affects youtube trends for kids channels. These videos are very popular.

Redterrors

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Looks like this issue isnt going away. In the news today they are now discussing channels that serve inappropriate videos to children that are disturbing Or have sexual undertones. Search google news for "youtube". The articles say youtube shut down channels after the newspaper asked youtube for comment on them.

I wonder how this affects youtube trends for kids channels. These videos are very popular.
I had enough when I started seeing big established kid channels that my daughter loves to watch change their style to compete with the toy freaks of the world. It is time for a big cleanup on youtube. Kids have to rely on the algorithm and if only the gross stuffs gets suggested well guess what happens. I want to see youtube kids be successful, but it is time to shine the light on the bad actors and get the mainstream media involved in this. Google will then be forced to act.

Reactions: FamilyToyReview

Purple Penguin

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
There may be more to this than meets the eye.

This article talks about a man who supposedly has a patent to fix the problem.
ttp://adage.com/article/digital/eric-feinberg-man-google-youtube-brand-safety-crisis/308435/

and at the end of this Fortune article it talks about the timing of this, and how ad companies are getting ready for upfronts (which is long term ad contract negotiations).
ttp://fortune.com/2017/03/27/google-youtube-ad-boycott/

FamilyToyReview

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
There may be more to this than meets the eye.

This article talks about a man who supposedly has a patent to fix the problem.
ttp://adage.com/article/digital/eric-feinberg-man-google-youtube-brand-safety-crisis/308435/

and at the end of this Fortune article it talks about the timing of this, and how ad companies are getting ready for upfronts (which is long term ad contract negotiations).
ttp://fortune.com/2017/03/27/google-youtube-ad-boycott/
I saw that article. I think he is being a patent troll. I don't think he has real software in development. The article mentions he has a "system" which could mean he has a process where he uses excel to manage his list of red flag keywords to look up videos on YouTube. some companies are able to find their way around patents and come up with alternative solutions to the same problem. Or i guess they pay off this guy.

Reactions: Purple Penguin