Youtube - Variety based on history?

SZXDuncan

I've been lurking about on Youtube quite a bit recently just to put on some white noise so that I could burn through the day finishing up my studies and I can't help but to struggle to find more videos to watch. Sometimes I wish that Youtube was like TV where you could just turn on the TV and do some channel surfing hoping to come across contents that strikes your interests or just to tune off from life itself. Now when I sit down and browse Youtube, I find it quite hard to break away from pre-existing interests that Youtube has figured out what I usually like to watch and recommends me videos with similar content.

I don't know, I feel like the concept of stumbleupon could be adopted into Youtube or at least some randomiser so my brain gets to experience the unexpected.

Duncan.

You could go to the Trending section which seems to be more than just based on one's interests!

The same here. The site is so mega personalized for you that it becomes mega boring. Maybe be it works fine for kids but it doesn't works so fine for anybody else.

I mean - when I search a topic it always gives me the mega channels content - but I know this content by heart (even if I never watched it) simply because this channels use the very same algorithm to make their movies viral. It's boring.

This works fine if you search for some technical tutorials. For entertainment purposes - it is bad.

Last edited:
I just did a search on "YouTube Randomizer" and found a link that might be interesting:

It just shows one completely random video per time - it is definitely not what he/she was talking about. It looks more like high throughput keyword (YouTube) hijacker scam site.
And the description of the service is not very family friendly (Japanese girl...) ;)

I've been lurking about on Youtube quite a bit recently just to put on some white noise so that I could burn through the day finishing up my studies and I can't help but to struggle to find more videos to watch. Sometimes I wish that Youtube was like TV where you could just turn on the TV and do some channel surfing hoping to come across contents that strikes your interests or just to tune off from life itself. Now when I sit down and browse Youtube, I find it quite hard to break away from pre-existing interests that Youtube has figured out what I usually like to watch and recommends me videos with similar content.

I don't know, I feel like the concept of stumbleupon could be adopted into Youtube or at least some randomiser so my brain gets to experience the unexpected.

Duncan.
What I do sometimes is I think of something I'd like to see that I doubt anybody has ever done, and a large percentage of the time somebody has done it. One example is I typed in Cactus Bellyflop and found one of my favorite channels. Here's what showed up at the top, I ended up watching every video of theirs at work that day.

I also see some random stuff on Facebook that friends post, once I track it down on YouTube I start getting more stuff like it in my recommended videos. Oh, if you follow MrTechnicalDifficult on Facebook, he posts some really random stuff, some is from YouTube, other stuff is from sites like LiveLeak and other pages. Also the comment section is full of hilarious memes. The stuff he posts is pretty graphic sometimes and sometimes offensive but I love it.

You can delete your history on your browser, that'll reset all our personalization on the YouTube home page to default and can start again a new. But you have to be logged out of your account though. I sometimes do this if I want to see some new content and have gotten bored of the usual stuff

I just did a search on "YouTube Randomizer" and found a link that might be interesting:

That's really interesting. Seems like it randomises content regardless of language but it focuses on videos with lower viewcounts.

Definitely would have to agree with chottom's viewpoint.

It just shows one completely random video per time - it is definitely not what he/she was talking about. It looks more like high throughput keyword (YouTube) hijacker scam site.
And the description of the service is not very family friendly (Japanese girl...) ;)

And I would try out your method Chris, but maybe without delete all my history and go incognito. xD
You can delete your history on your browser, that'll reset all our personalization on the YouTube home page to default and can start again a new. But you have to be logged out of your account though. I sometimes do this if I want to see some new content and have gotten bored of the usual stuff

Back