Youtube red, Is it a complete failure?

TWIVTV

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey

Not really a technical question but has anyone got a large amount of youtube red views? Ive had probably about 7,000 total views since it launched (I think i'm not quite sure) and legit 17 of them were youtube red. Legit 17/7000 XD. I work that out as 0.243%. I'm a UK based channel so that might have something to do with it, but a large percentage of my views are US (about 20%)

With the amount of publicity it received i would have thought it would have been MUCH higher than that. Does everyone else see the same thing or is it just me?

Uncivilized Elk

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I'm not understanding why that makes it a complete failure.

Considering adblock is free, anybody willing to give google money directly to block ads baffles my mind. I'm amazed that many people are signed up to begin with.

I got about 450k views over the past 28 days and 4.5k YT Red views. So on my end, that's a solid 1% of views being YT Red, which like I said, is way more than I imagined it would be.
And as far as earnings go, I got almost $20 from those YT Red views so they are doing far more for me compared to ads at the moment, though it is January (the time of the lowest RPM of the year).

MattyGreen

Music and Mess...
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
As with all subscription services its too early too tell. Give it a year or two and wait until its world wide too see the the general public buy into it.

TWIVTV

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm not understanding why that makes it a complete failure.

Considering adblock is free, anybody willing to give google money directly to block ads baffles my mind. I'm amazed that many people are signed up to begin with.

I got about 450k views over the past 28 days and 4.5k YT Red views. So on my end, that's a solid 1% of views being YT Red, which like I said, is way more than I imagined it would be.
And as far as earnings go, I got almost $20 from those YT Red views so they are doing far more for me compared to ads at the moment, though it is January (the time of the lowest RPM of the year).
Yeah, that's quite alot i suppose. Its just with all the fuss about it ,Youtube advertised it MASSIVELY in the US and tons of people made videos on it and a massive fuss was made, socialblade were legit only talking about that for like 1 month non stop, Even Pewdiepie made a video on it (or atleast mentioned it). Its just puzzleing to me at the end of all that like 1 in 100 for you or mabye 150 for me (I'm not quite sure if it is just US or north america or?) bought it.

Uncivilized Elk

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Eh, well I didn't even learn of what it was until I saw it on my analytics tab and got confused, haha.

So as somebody not at all involved in the hype google tried to generate for it (or other people indirectly did on google's behalf), I'm actually surprised it's doing as well as it is so early in.

Reactions: TWIVTV

Political Junkie News

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
I have only even seen YouTube red advertised once or twice since its inception. I probably wouldn't have even noticed were I not a creator. Has anyone else seen it pushed?

Uncivilized Elk

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
After learning of YT Red I had hoped that google would advertise YT Red on YT itself, so that way it can pay you for featuring ads as well as pay you for the people who already have YT Red, haha. That's like a double win for creators if google advertises its own feature on your stuff, right?

But nope, that definitely does not seem to be happening, or if it is, it's super duper rare.

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I'm not sure what the long game with YouTube Red is, but I'm getting a small percentage of views from viewers on that service, so I'm not complaining right now. I suspect that YouTube will launch some "Red Only" series that will become popular and the service will go large, or (like a lot of Google experiments), they'll just quietly remove it and go back to what YouTube always was.

BoozeandBS

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Well it reminds me a little bit of the WWE network (their online subscription plan) when they released it. People were saying the same type of stuff. In marketing there are people who are referred to as Early adopters. Reason I bring up WWE network is it took them a long time to get a large following in their subscriber count. They projected to have a million subscribers after a year. They stayed on pace for their target but people were critical in the same way they are of youtube red today, saying 'they don't have enough' calling it a failure. But after a year they hit their target and has since grown into something that people enjoy.

Youtube red, I feel is still very early and there will be some growing pains. I've noticed each month getting more views from youtube red. I've noticed each video giving me more and more money from youtube red, so I'd say it's growing from my personal experience. The rate of money compared to the advertising money is significantly higher from my youtube red. I feel that google is smart and they wouldn't venture out into this if they didn't have a well thought out business plan to make it profitable. It's not like they're some small company doing things on a whim.

Uncivilized Elk

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I'm hoping YT Red is also even toward all youtubers and splits money equally across total views, and doesn't give comparatively more money to high-profile channels as often the case with advertisers.