#Youtube affiliate related questions.

Hashtag10

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey, how are you guys?
I've just started a youtube channel a few weeks ago and i have soooo many question and i'm seeking your help.

First of all, what is youtube affiliate program? Does it have anything to do with their copyright policy? How does it work? What are the pros and cons?
Second, what other programs are there? Are they better? What are the pros and cons? I have a gaming channel and some have suggested TGN or MACHINIMA. But what are the benefits? Are there any other better than those?

Probably many of you had the same problems when you started your youtube channel so please be patient with me. :D
Thanks.

Reactions: Penny Art

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
The "affiliate" program is basically Google adsense.

I've moved your thread to the monetization forum. If you do a browse / search of this section of the forum, you'll find many of the answers to your questions. :)

Reactions: Hashtag10

Hashtag10

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
The "affiliate" program is basically Google adsense.

I've moved your thread to the monetization forum. If you do a browse / search of this section of the forum, you'll find many of the answers to your questions. :)
Ok. Thanks. and sorry again :D

Reactions: Crown

AMX Gaming

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
from the little that i know id say do it on your own, you really dont need anyone to help you grow, yes its harder and requires more time to be spent but partnerships hurt you in the long run, youtube already takes a certain percentage from your revenue and if you partner they will take more ans eventually you might see 20 percent instead of the possible 60 and the google ad sense is just a way to place ads on your videos that help bring in cash now every 1000 views gets you a certain amount so give it time

Super Pawsitive

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Google adsense allows you to monetize your content and get your cut directly from YouTube themselves. YouTube takes 40% of all revenue made on your channel in a given month. You get 60%.

Now then, let's talk about MCNs.

An MCN is basically the middle man. They make sure you have some semblance of protection should a copyright strike appear. They help negotiate with brands to help you make more revenue, and usually they promise to make you grow. All at the cost of some of the revenue.

Now, let me be clear here. YouTube already takes 40% of your revenue each month with videos monetized. That means you're left with 60% if you are partnered directly with YouTube.

However, the moment you join an MCN, they're going to take their cut from whatever YouTube gives you. Usually, this is within the realms of 10-30% but in worst case scenarios it can be much higher. Machinima, as great as they might have once been. Have been known to abuse their partners by locking them into contracts for years.

Now, let me get to the promises!

1. We're going to help you grow!
This is the big one, that most people find appealing. MCNs usually have no interest in helping their partners grow. There are exceptions to this rule, but generally an MCN will only help you if you have proven to be successful time and time again. Though, they want to see numbers. So, don't expect them to promote you at all if you're small. They might provide a Tips and Tricks! sheet that tells you the basics of SEO and content strategy. Though past that, I wouldn't be expecting to talk to a human in your time there.

2. We'll get you brand deals and sponsorships!
This one is true. Networks will get you brand deals and sponsorships so you can earn more revenue. However, much like before they're holding these back for people who show results. This one is understandable. Brands most likely never want to promote small guys that will maybe get 1,000 views on a good day. You know?

3. We'll protect you from those mean copyright strikes!
Typically, this is also true. Though, let me just tell you that unless you are uploading movie clips or audio clips from songs. You'll likely not run into this issue for a while. The worst you'll get is content ID matched. Which is when someone starts to claim all the revenue on your video for containing copyrighted content that steps on their toes. As long as you know your content falls under the tarp known as fair use, you should not have any issues disputing copyright strikes and content ID matches.

That being said,
if you feel as though it'd be worth your time getting into a network. Please feel free to do so!

Here's some things I would look at before signing any contract. Ever.
1. Revenue Split
2. Term and Termination.
3. [Networks] Services
4. The rights you give to [Network]
5. Content Guidelines
6. Ownership of channel and content.

Make sure you do NOT give them full ownership rights to your channel.
Do NOT accept anything with a revenue split lower than 70% (80% and up is what I would look for.)
Do NOT sign a contract that locks you in for more than a year.
Do NOT fall for an infinite contract loop (Really, read those termination clauses people.)

Hope this helped. There might be more things that are missing, but this should give you a general overview of what you should look and watch out for.

Hashtag10

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Google adsense allows you to monetize your content and get your cut directly from YouTube themselves. YouTube takes 40% of all revenue made on your channel in a given month. You get 60%.

Now then, let's talk about MCNs.

An MCN is basically the middle man. They make sure you have some semblance of protection should a copyright strike appear. They help negotiate with brands to help you make more revenue, and usually they promise to make you grow. All at the cost of some of the revenue.

Now, let me be clear here. YouTube already takes 40% of your revenue each month with videos monetized. That means you're left with 60% if you are partnered directly with YouTube.

However, the moment you join an MCN, they're going to take their cut from whatever YouTube gives you. Usually, this is within the realms of 10-30% but in worst case scenarios it can be much higher. Machinima, as great as they might have once been. Have been known to abuse their partners by locking them into contracts for years.

Now, let me get to the promises!

1. We're going to help you grow!
This is the big one, that most people find appealing. MCNs usually have no interest in helping their partners grow. There are exceptions to this rule, but generally an MCN will only help you if you have proven to be successful time and time again. Though, they want to see numbers. So, don't expect them to promote you at all if you're small. They might provide a Tips and Tricks! sheet that tells you the basics of SEO and content strategy. Though past that, I wouldn't be expecting to talk to a human in your time there.

2. We'll get you brand deals and sponsorships!
This one is true. Networks will get you brand deals and sponsorships so you can earn more revenue. However, much like before they're holding these back for people who show results. This one is understandable. Brands most likely never want to promote small guys that will maybe get 1,000 views on a good day. You know?

3. We'll protect you from those mean copyright strikes!
Typically, this is also true. Though, let me just tell you that unless you are uploading movie clips or audio clips from songs. You'll likely not run into this issue for a while. The worst you'll get is content ID matched. Which is when someone starts to claim all the revenue on your video for containing copyrighted content that steps on their toes. As long as you know your content falls under the tarp known as fair use, you should not have any issues disputing copyright strikes and content ID matches.

That being said,
if you feel as though it'd be worth your time getting into a network. Please feel free to do so!

Here's some things I would look at before signing any contract. Ever.
1. Revenue Split
2. Term and Termination.
3. [Networks] Services
4. The rights you give to [Network]
5. Content Guidelines
6. Ownership of channel and content.

Make sure you do NOT give them full ownership rights to your channel.
Do NOT accept anything with a revenue split lower than 70% (80% and up is what I would look for.)
Do NOT sign a contract that locks you in for more than a year.
Do NOT fall for an infinite contract loop (Really, read those termination clauses people.)

Hope this helped. There might be more things that are missing, but this should give you a general overview of what you should look and watch out for.
Wow. Thanks man. This might just be the best and complete advice i have ever got.
Ok. So now that i decided i don't want a partnership (at least for now), how do i optimize my adsense, youtube partnership and everything that i need so i can earn the optimum amount of money based on my videos.
Thanks a lot man. I really appreciate it.

zaffron

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I thought youtube will gonna take 45% and give us 55%!!! Did they change their agreement recently ?

Hashtag10

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
So let's see if i understood everything correctly. Other affiliates take a percentage OUT OF YOUR 60% left after Youtube takes it's cut? Like they take 10% out of your 60%?

Super Pawsitive

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
So let's see if i understood everything correctly. Other affiliates take a percentage OUT OF YOUR 60% left after Youtube takes it's cut? Like they take 10% out of your 60%?
Correct, they take a percentage out of your percentage.

I thought youtube will gonna take 45% and give us 55%!!! Did they change their agreement recently ?
When I started up, it was about 60-40. That might have changed.

Wow. Thanks man. This might just be the best and complete advice i have ever got.
Ok. So now that i decided i don't want a partnership (at least for now), how do i optimize my adsense, youtube partnership and everything that i need so i can earn the optimum amount of money based on my videos.
Thanks a lot man. I really appreciate it.
This is something you'll have to ask someone else. As knowledgable as I am about YouTube networks I have literally no idea how to do adsense.

Hashtag10

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Correct, they take a percentage out of your percentage.

When I started up, it was about 60-40. That might have changed.

This is something you'll have to ask someone else. As knowledgable as I am about YouTube networks I have literally no idea how to do adsense.
Thanks a lot. Hope someone see this post about adsense and can answer. :D