Where do you find what's -really- trending?

Lekjih

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
As the trending tab on YT is next to useless. Specifically, I'm thinking gaming. Is it the big YTers who set the trends or are they following someone/thing else?

I've always been hopeless at following trends and it's now a relevant skill to my life xD

MintApocalypse

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Tbh I struggle following trends as well, I've found following the right people on twitter is pretty helpful for things currently effecting different aspects of youtube or a community you're interested in. YouTube wise though, I mostly find things out through recommended, or by following youtubers who create content after finding said trending things themselves. I guess it's really all in who you follow.

KidsCorner

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Find some people in the range of 5k-50k subscribers that do similar to what you do (people who are growing fast, not people stuck at 50K subscribers for a year) and see what they are doing regarding content, titles, seo, descriptions, etc. They managed to separate them from the rest so they are doing something on trend most likely. Subscribe to them, watch their videos start to finish, look at their titles and thumbnails and do something very similar but with your own twist.

Reactions: Lekjih

BryMan1

Reaction score
if it helps im trending... :bounce::yttalk:
well one day maybe...lol personnaly when I search for something on yt I change the filter to "uploaded most recently", when they have been up for a couple of hours and already have loads of views, id say they are close to trending....alternatively I follow a couple of "pages" and they put up clips that are going viral...hth

WingsOfRush

Reaction score
Gaming Wise, Its easier to just play the newest hyped game. Like For Honor just came out and a lot of youtubers are playing it and it really took off. my advice for smaller channels is to play BRAND NEW Indie games on steam like, the day it comes out (1 or 2 come out every day at least) and that way when people search for that game, your channel pops up

Lekjih

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Ooh, thank you people!

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Follow the top 20-50 channels in your vertical. Run a spreadsheet grouping them into sub and view ranges. Note down their video topics, which are rising, which are stagnant. Depending on your spreadsheet skills, you will start to see correlations between high growth and topics. These are your major trends. Run with them if you want to grow.

Highfalutin' Low Carb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Follow the top 20-50 channels in your vertical. Run a spreadsheet grouping them into sub and view ranges. Note down their video topics, which are rising, which are stagnant. Depending on your spreadsheet skills, you will start to see correlations between high growth and topics. These are your major trends. Run with them if you want to grow.
Your content is probably great, but when I see your posts like this it really brings home how much work and research you have put into growing your channel and how it's paying off. Thanks for your advice.. in every thread.

Reactions: KiddieToysReview

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Your content is probably great, but when I see your posts like this it really brings home how much work and research you have put into growing your channel and how it's paying off. Thanks for your advice.. in every thread.
It's hard work, no doubt about it. Easily put in 60-70 hours/week. 7 days workweek is normal.

QQQ

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey KiddieToys. Been reading your posts and appreciate the advice you give. Can you explain a little more how you figure out which video topics and rising and which are stagnant? Do you write down the topics of all your competitors for the past month and then see which ones are being repeated most often?