What's your CPM? (Kid-friendly channels)

avilsd

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
For my personal channel (obviously it's adult content) here are my stats:
Lifetime: Playback Based CPM - $4.16 and normal CPM $3.45
Past 28 days: Playbacked - $4.91 Normal - $4.03

And this is of course just using the analytics tool (which means it only counts monetized views), so by going off of normal views and doing the math off of how much I made, my CPM for the past 28 days has been: $.518

So nearly a 52 cent CPM, and this is a higher month.. so obviously I'm not making too good of a killing lol (but I was well aware of this long before I got into YouTube). Most likely I'll just negotiate with Google for better ad-rates once I have a larger channel, but I guess it's not bad for approaching 10,000 subscribers. Still a small channel in the grand scheme of things.

I'm thinking of either investing money into a News channel or Kids channel. I'm curious about your analytics and how much the CPMs are for kids niche. Hey, if it means an actual $5-10 CPM (Not the one in analytics, as in counting ALL views) then that's dope.

I don't care for any estimates or any responses other than just actual CPMs. Yes, you ARE allowed to share your stats, it's silly how so many people still believe the rumor that it's against the terms. I literally just want to see proof of whether or not I should make a kids channel. Thank you :)

Scapestrato

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
"Most likely I'll just negotiate with Google for better ad-rates once I have a larger channel"

Good luck with that :)

Reactions: Crown

CousinEd

There's always a choice
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
"Most likely I'll just negotiate with Google for better ad-rates once I have a larger channel"

I guess he/she can aim for "Google preferred" program.

avilsd

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Why do you say that it's not against the terms and conditions?
Point out to me where it says exactly in the ToS.[DOUBLEPOST=1489939926,1489939537][/DOUBLEPOST]

Channels with millions of subscribers have negotiating power to raise their rates. The highest paying advertisers are saved for the top channels. Worst case scenario, I guess it won't matter much anyways since each video can be sponsored anyways (as there's loads of companies who would want to work with channels receiving tens of millions of views per month.

I'm not saying my channel's anywhere near that yet, but I see no reason why anybody shouldn't aim for that. If you post daily and work more than 100 hours a week to network and collab with people, and also reinvest anywhere from 50-90% of your channel earnings into marketing/shoutouts/etc. then a few million subscribers isn't hard to get within 3-4 years of a channel's creation. Natural exponential growth helps out once you get to 25K or 50K+.

I'm making negative money basically now, even though my channel's revenues are growing each month. That's because I'm investing in the long run by connecting with the bigger boys in my niche. If you don't treat YouTube like a business, that's fine, but the person who works 10x more simply will crush the channel which is owned by a hobbyist.

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Point out to me where it says exactly in the ToS.
I'll oblige, even though I feel the burden of proof would fall on the person claiming that a commonly understood thing is false.

In section 9 of the Adsense Terms and Conditions, it says:
9. Confidentiality
You agree not to disclose Google Confidential Information without our prior written consent. "Google Confidential Information" includes: (a) all Google software, technology and documentation relating to the Services; (b) click-through rates or other statistics relating to Property performance as pertaining to the Services; (c) the existence of, and information about, beta features in a Service; and (d) any other information made available by Google that is marked confidential or would normally be considered confidential under the circumstances in which it is presented. Google Confidential Information does not include information that you already knew prior to your use of the Services, that becomes public through no fault of yours, that was independently developed by you, or that was lawfully given to you by a third party. Notwithstanding this Section 9, you may accurately disclose the amount of Google’s gross payments resulting from your use of the Services.

avilsd

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'll oblige, even though I feel the burden of proof would fall on the person claiming that a commonly understood thing is false.

In section 9 of the Adsense Terms and Conditions, it says:
That only applies to the actual earnings and final statistics inside of Google Adsense. YouTube is only hosted through Adsense, that's why inside of YT's analytics you see only "estimated" earnings.

Here's a response from someone actually from YouTube about displaying exact screenshots of YouTube analytics with everything from rates to subs to views to revenue, etc. "Your channel and analytics data is private to you, the channel manager. YouTube does not monitor what you choose to disclose with third parties."

The information on there about Ad-Sense is more geared towards those who are buying ads through Ad-Sense.

Reactions: Idec Sdawkminn

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
That only applies to the actual earnings and final statistics inside of Google Adsense. YouTube is only hosted through Adsense, that's why inside of YT's analytics you see only "estimated" earnings.

Here's a response from someone actually from YouTube about displaying exact screenshots of YouTube analytics with everything from rates to subs to views to revenue, etc. "Your channel and analytics data is private to you, the channel manager. YouTube does not monitor what you choose to disclose with third parties."

The information on there about Ad-Sense is more geared towards those who are buying ads through Ad-Sense.
Hmm... your post led me down a very interesting trail of searches. I was initially pretty certain that I was right, but your post introduced quite a bit of doubt into my understanding. CPM is how much your channel is worth to advertisers, whereas RPM in Adsense is how much you actually made. I was very close to conceding that I was wrong, but one thing kept nagging at me. If I take my Playback-based CPM in my Analytics and multiply it by my Estimated Monetized Playbacks, then multiply that by 0.55, I get within a 0.3% margin of error of my Estimated Earnings, which is almost always the exact amount I get in my bank account, so it seems to indicate how much Adsense actually made me per 1,000 ads. And I read in a FullScreen article that YouTube doesn't report your actual CPM (which is for advertisers) in your Analytics, but rather your Effective CPM, which is their term for how much money your ads made, which directly ties to the performance of Adsense. It seems like YouTube is reporting Adsense's performance, and so disclosing that would be the same as what their ToS is prohibiting. What that person from YouTube said seems to go against this, though.

Last edited:

avilsd

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hmm... your post led me down a very interesting trail of searches. I was initially pretty certain that I was right, but your post introduced quite a bit of doubt into my understanding. CPM is how much your channel is worth to advertisers, whereas RPM in Adsense is how much you actually made. I was very close to conceding that I was wrong, but one thing kept nagging at me. If I take my Playback-based CPM in my Analytics and multiply it by my Estimated Monetized Playbacks, then multiply that by 0.55, I get within a 0.3% margin of error of my Estimated Earnings, which is almost always the exact amount I get in my bank account, so it seems to indicate how much Adsense actually made me per 1,000 ads. And I read in a FullScreen article that YouTube doesn't report your actual CPM (which is for advertisers) in your Analytics, but rather your Effective CPM, which is their term for how much money your ads made, which directly ties to the performance of Adsense. It seems like YouTube is reporting Adsense's performance, and so disclosing that would be the same as what their ToS is prohibiting. What that person from YouTube said seems to go against this, though.
Truthfully, I don't know. Maybe you're right, maybe I'm right, maybe we're both right. It might be the last option, as YouTube's so disorganized sometimes that even the YouTube employees don't know about certain things. But the thing that sticks out is that there are multiple big YouTubers who have revealed quite a lot, if not all of their YT analytics in depth. Some time has passed, and I feel that if it was such a big rule.. Idk. We would've seen their channels hit with something, at least having the videos removed. I'm leaning more towards you being able to reveal your CPMs, but I'll probably ask the question a few more times before I make a full on video about it. I have revealed screenshots of various analytics performances both on YouTube and on other forums though (also this one), and nothing has ever happened. It sucks though that so many people are fully scared into never revealing any of their info. In the end, it does hurt fellow content creators who otherwise might be able to decide targeting and niches better

Reactions: Idec Sdawkminn

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Truthfully, I don't know. Maybe you're right, maybe I'm right, maybe we're both right. It might be the last option, as YouTube's so disorganized sometimes that even the YouTube employees don't know about certain things. But the thing that sticks out is that there are multiple big YouTubers who have revealed quite a lot, if not all of their YT analytics in depth. Some time has passed, and I feel that if it was such a big rule.. Idk. We would've seen their channels hit with something, at least having the videos removed. I'm leaning more towards you being able to reveal your CPMs, but I'll probably ask the question a few more times before I make a full on video about it. I have revealed screenshots of various analytics performances both on YouTube and on other forums though (also this one), and nothing has ever happened. It sucks though that so many people are fully scared into never revealing any of their info. In the end, it does hurt fellow content creators who otherwise might be able to decide targeting and niches better
Yes, I see plenty of people thinking they can't say how much they made because they think it is against YouTube's policies. Even Ricegum seemed to think so.

Asking around is the best thing, though I agree that probably no penalty will happen either way. I agree that either or both of us could be right. But I was wrong for starting out so antagonistic. Something irked me about the way you claimed that everyone was wrong. I thought you were doing so carelessly without having first read the ToS. It bugs me when people ignorantly propagate misinformation (as I'm sure it does you as well). It's similar to when people ask questions in the Copyright section and people give them incorrect information. It causes confusion at best and is harmful at worst. And so I became a little combative, but I obviously did so too preemptively. In reality, I have no way of knowing how much you have looked into the topic. I was just guessing you hadn't. So, sorry about that.[DOUBLEPOST=1490116442,1490078900][/DOUBLEPOST]At any rate, my channel is kid-friendly (though some silly kids and parents/aunts/uncles/older siblings seem to strongly disagree) and my rough stats for both Playback and Regular are:

Last 28 day: $2.xx
Whole time I've been monetized: $3.xx