What happened to this site? no mods? abandoned?

I think they heyday of forums is over. It is a lot of work to run a forum. Many businesses now use FB and Twitter for customer service. You can set up a FB page, or FB Group, a Reddit page - a lot of easier ways than running a forum. Let someone else handle all the coding and infrastructure. I like forums, but I still miss the old bulletin boards... I am older than dirt, though ha ha :cool:

First time I've popped on over here in a while. Yeah this site seems pretty much toast. I'm not interested in dealing with the obnoxious ads or the obnoxious spambots.

I've been spending my time over on Reddit over the past month. My first time on the platform and not bad as I thought it would be. On the YouTube subforums people ask the same questions day in/day out but those that respond are generally kind and helpful. There's very little of the petty nastiness I've often heard about the platform. And I've found that if you contribute to the conversation and don't spam your videos everywhere, people are generally very receptive to your content. So if anyone needs me I'll be over there (but I'll check in over here to see if anyone is singing my praises. :tongue:)

I tried using Reddit in the beginning, but got a bit lost in the size of it all. Which channels to choose etc.. Anything you can recommend?

Yeah. I think the owner just decided to plaster ads all over it and let it run its course. Someone should post some really bad stuff that violates the rules and see if there are any mods around. You know, kind of like the old saying goes, "If you're lost in the woods. Break a game law and five Game Wardens will appear out of thin air."

I tried using Reddit in the beginning, but got a bit lost in the size of it all. Which channels to choose etc.. Anything you can recommend?

This forum caters to small YouTube channels: https://www.reddit.com/r/NewTubers/ They have rules about sharing your channel/content but there are also threads that explicitly allow sharing as well. If nothing else you'll see a lot of small youtubers with the same issues/questions.

I've found that if you join other subreddits applicable to your content and then contribute to that subreddit, people are pretty open if you then share the occasional video.

Also each subreddit has their own rules regarding what is allowed and what isn't so be sure to familiarize yourself before you start posting. Sometimes you can't start threads until you've contributed a certain amount for example. There seem to be a good amount of moderation in each subreddit I've joined so I haven't experienced any sort of those toxic horror stories you normally associate with reddit.

(sorry if I sound crazy and all the typos, not proofreading anything)
nicekid76 has been offline because he hasn't been making any youtube content lately sadly.

Every now and again I want to pump life into the forum. I'm happy some of you guys and gals remember me. It means a lot. Personal life has been very busy, busy, busy, trying to get back into it soon.
I also thought about buying this forum at one point, but the price point that I've heard is way too high. it might have been worth that at one point or maybe he bought it for 6 fig so he rather hold it forever then to lose money selling it. idk. but in its current state, it's absolutely not worth that much... unless maybe those spam bots are clicking on all the ads?

I loved this forum. I still talk to many of the friends I made on this platform.
I reached out to the creator about being a mod here. He seemed to be okay with me being a mod, but then I talked to some former YTtalk mods who I'm still friends with. They told me it's way to much work for only 1 mod.
I'm no stranger to putting a lot of work into this forum. Not to be conceded but like the 2 biggest collabs on the platform were my projects. YTtalk Rewind #1 and #2. That's not to say I'm good or anything, that's just to show that I do really care about the forum. Just wish the person in charge also put effort into building / rebuilding the community.

Last edited:
The owners think this forum is worth six figures and yet put NO effort into just maintaining it. To say nothing about updating and improving it. This forum isn't a bar of gold. It loses value if you let it go ... and the owners have definitely being letting this forum go for quite a while.

Yup, it is for sale and the owners even approached me asking if I'd like to buy it, but the owners are delusional. They want six figures. Honestly, it is only worth at most probably $5,000 and that's just for the programming of it. And that's very likely being quite generous. The forum is dead, they haven't moderated it in YEARS, and spam (not to mention rules-breaking posts) has destroyed its reputation. It once was touted by YouTuber helper channels, such as Video Creators (Tim Schmoyer's channel) and they were even active here. That's how I learned of it. But that was ten years ago.

Rhodey Seth is right. Right now the discussion is over at r/NewTubers and r/YouTubers BUT those have their own problems. One of the biggest is that they're popularity forums. Unpopular (a.k.a. controversial) posts and replies can be literally voted out of existence. That's bad as some of the best discussions are controversial. Another problem is no sub-forums so all posts are tossed into a big bucket without any separation so you have to weed through a TON of posts (most of them very repetitive) to find something that you actually want to read. Yes, there are Reddit groups that have tighter focuses BUT they're ghost towns. I've seen many started and then just go nowhere due to lack of traffic, such as r/LetsPlayCollab, r/Struggling_YouTubers, and r/CreatorServices to name just a few.

As for starting up a new forum, it is possible but it would be quite the challenge. Over the last several years, I have been approached by some of the THEN-regulars here to start one with them. They wanting me as a partner and/or moderator. I've always been receptive and offered my suggestions for how it could be done, even improved. Some have gone so far as gotten prototypes up and running but none have been able to succeed as the biggest problem is driving traffic to them. That's a LOT harder than most people believe it is. I have always advised them that if they're serious, they have to buy sponsorships on YouTuber helper channels or at least buy advertising on them, but none have listened. They all believe "If I build it, they will come." But what do I know. I've only been a marketing consultant for three decades. In fact, right now, another regular here is trying to do such a feat (I think I'll label it as "Attempt #246"), but I won't mention her/his/its name so to avoid them getting prematurely banned from here ... though that would take active moderation by the owners. Spam anyone? I'm sure when s/he's ready, s/he'll make a public announcement here.
Six figures for an out of the box forum that is dying? That is fricken hilarious actually. I would of put the cost at 1-2K considering the extreme plunge in visitors, the amount of work you would have to put up to get the bots off and get rid of the risiduals. The only true value would be the domain name.

It is not a huge deal to set it up technically. There are a ton of bb-boards and such you can install on a server and get it up and running. But devising it to combat spam, make it user friendly and honestly, make it someone unique is the challenge. I am not even going to mention the task of bringing in people to post regularly. THEN I am not even going to mention the hot heads, twitter-types that just like to argue, swear, and be general assbags.

Unless you are very passionate about the board you are putting up, getting paid to do it or bored; willing to spend a shitload of time on it... boards in todays times, is not really a thing anymore. Reddit has helped squash that.

It is not a huge deal to set it up technically. There are a ton of bb-boards and such you can install on a server and get it up and running.
Yes.

But devising it to combat spam, make it user friendly and honestly, make it someone unique is the challenge.
Also doable.

I am not even going to mention the task of bringing in people to post regularly.
I will then. Yes its very difficult, A bit easier though when people are more motivated because not lost in a sea of spam.

hot heads, twitter-types that just like to argue, swear, and be general assbags.
Yes they are everywhere - on all platforms - that's not just a forum problem BUT it does make for a moderation challenge because we'd want to get rid of such tripe whereas by an large other platforms such as social media tend to let it ride.

Back