What happened to this site? no mods? abandoned?

Dario

I've Got It
Reaction score
So, has been some months since the last time i entered this site, and now i see lots of topics that would be removed if it was 2019... no discussions, no real people... i used to love this site so much, how are you guys, what happened here... lmao

JayZippo

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yeah. Not going to lie, been here I think over a year or so, and even in that time it has hit the skids.

Hoping someone can step up and be a little more active in regards to spam

Reactions: Jack Decker

Tito Tims Videos

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I wonder however where @Nicekid76 went
I was just wondering the other day about him. Have not seen him around in a few months.

As for the site... I just found this place like 2 years ago, and it seems to be on auto pilot. A lot of spam gets reported but stays up.

Hulio

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's strange that there is no response to anything lately - re: spam reporting and offers to help with the site. A number of people have offered to step up and take on moderating duties, including myself. A discussion forum for Youtube users should have so much potential!

Reactions: Jack Decker

Rhody Seth

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician
First time I've popped on over here in a while. Yeah this site seems pretty much toast. I'm not interested in dealing with the obnoxious ads or the obnoxious spambots.

I've been spending my time over on Reddit over the past month. My first time on the platform and not bad as I thought it would be. On the YouTube subforums people ask the same questions day in/day out but those that respond are generally kind and helpful. There's very little of the petty nastiness I've often heard about the platform. And I've found that if you contribute to the conversation and don't spam your videos everywhere, people are generally very receptive to your content. So if anyone needs me I'll be over there (but I'll check in over here to see if anyone is singing my praises. :tongue:)

Jack Decker

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
:pompus::pompus::pompus:

I wonder if management wants to sell it?
Yup, it is for sale and the owners even approached me asking if I'd like to buy it, but the owners are delusional. They want six figures. Honestly, it is only worth at most probably $5,000 and that's just for the programming of it. And that's very likely being quite generous. The forum is dead, they haven't moderated it in YEARS, and spam (not to mention rules-breaking posts) has destroyed its reputation. It once was touted by YouTuber helper channels, such as Video Creators (Tim Schmoyer's channel) and they were even active here. That's how I learned of it. But that was ten years ago.

Rhodey Seth is right. Right now the discussion is over at r/NewTubers and r/YouTubers BUT those have their own problems. One of the biggest is that they're popularity forums. Unpopular (a.k.a. controversial) posts and replies can be literally voted out of existence. That's bad as some of the best discussions are controversial. Another problem is no sub-forums so all posts are tossed into a big bucket without any separation so you have to weed through a TON of posts (most of them very repetitive) to find something that you actually want to read. Yes, there are Reddit groups that have tighter focuses BUT they're ghost towns. I've seen many started and then just go nowhere due to lack of traffic, such as r/LetsPlayCollab, r/Struggling_YouTubers, and r/CreatorServices to name just a few.

As for starting up a new forum, it is possible but it would be quite the challenge. Over the last several years, I have been approached by some of the THEN-regulars here to start one with them. They wanting me as a partner and/or moderator. I've always been receptive and offered my suggestions for how it could be done, even improved. Some have gone so far as gotten prototypes up and running but none have been able to succeed as the biggest problem is driving traffic to them. That's a LOT harder than most people believe it is. I have always advised them that if they're serious, they have to buy sponsorships on YouTuber helper channels or at least buy advertising on them, but none have listened. They all believe "If I build it, they will come." But what do I know. I've only been a marketing consultant for three decades. In fact, right now, another regular here is trying to do such a feat (I think I'll label it as "Attempt #246"), but I won't mention her/his/its name so to avoid them getting prematurely banned from here ... though that would take active moderation by the owners. Spam anyone? I'm sure when s/he's ready, s/he'll make a public announcement here.

Reactions: Hulio