What Frame Rate Do You Upload Your YouTube Videos In?

What Frame Rate Do You Use For Your YouTube Videos?

• Total voters

Kevin Muldoon

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Over the last year or so I have recorded the vast majority of my videos in 50p.

In the UK, PAL cameras tend to offer 24p, 25p, and 50p. You need to switch to NTSC in order to record in 30p and 50p. With my Sony RX100 III, I need to switch to NTSC to record in 24p too.

I chose 50p for my videos as it was the maximum frame rate my two main cameras can use and then it just came routien. When I include screen recordings from my computer in my videos with a recording from my camera, I use Handbrake to change the framerate to 50p.

I am curious as to what everyone else is recording at?

The reason I am asking is because most YouTubers do not record at the higher frame rate. Instead, they use 24p, 25p, or 30p.

Would love to hear what everyone is using and why :)

Kevin

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Over the last year or so I have recorded the vast majority of my videos in 50p.

In the UK, PAL cameras tend to offer 24p, 25p, and 50p. You need to switch to NTSC in order to record in 30p and 50p. With my Sony RX100 III, I need to switch to NTSC to record in 24p too.

I chose 50p for my videos as it was the maximum frame rate my two main cameras can use and then it just came routien. When I include screen recordings from my computer in my videos with a recording from my camera, I use Handbrake to change the framerate to 50p.

I am curious as to what everyone else is recording at?

The reason I am asking is because most YouTubers do not record at the higher frame rate. Instead, they use 24p, 25p, or 30p.

Would love to hear what everyone is using and why :)

Kevin
I export at different frame rates depending on what it is. For my ultra slow motion stuff I record at 240FPS and export at 24FPS. Anything lower than 24FPS looks choppy. I will normally record most stuff at 120FPS though so I can still get 1080P quality film and still have the ability to get smooth slow motion out of it.

Reactions: Kevin Muldoon

Kevin Muldoon

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I export at different frame rates depending on what it is. For my ultra slow motion stuff I record at 240FPS and export at 24FPS. Anything lower than 24FPS looks choppy. I will normally record most stuff at 120FPS though so I can still get 1080P quality film and still have the ability to get smooth slow motion out of it.
So are you always uploading at 24 fps, regardless of what you recorded at?

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the recording / editing / production forum. :)

iamvroom

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I only do 60 fps mainly because a while ago I started with gaming videos and wanted to capture the smoothness of 60 fps whenever possible. Nowadays I am doing reaction videos and the 60fps is not really needed I guess. So maybe I should just stop using it and go back to 30.

Kevin Muldoon

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Moved to the recording / editing / production forum. :)
Thanks. :)

I only do 60 fps mainly because a while ago I started with gaming videos and wanted to capture the smoothness of 60 fps whenever possible. Nowadays I am doing reaction videos and the 60fps is not really needed I guess. So maybe I should just stop using it and go back to 30.
60 FPS makes sense for gaming, particularly if the game has a high frame rate.

Reactions: Crown

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
So are you always uploading at 24 fps, regardless of what you recorded at?
no sometimes I go up to 60FPS, the lowest I go to is 24. If it's a long video I'll sometimes do 30 even if it is capable of 60 to save on the file size so it doesn't take forever to upload.

Kevin Muldoon

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
no sometimes I go up to 60FPS, the lowest I go to is 24. If it's a long video I'll sometimes do 30 even if it is capable of 60 to save on the file size so it doesn't take forever to upload.
Cool.

Sounds like you change things up depending on the type of video being produced.

:)

Ernie Jo

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I normally do 24, because I like the look, it lets in just a hair more light (especially because I can use a lower shutter speed if I'm also starving for light), and when I do 120 or 240 fps for slomo then 24 let's me slow things down more. :)

Reactions: Munchito696

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Cool.

Sounds like you change things up depending on the type of video being produced.

:)
Pretty much. I don't see a whole lot of difference from 30 to 60, so 30 is usually good for my non slow motion stuff. 24 is supposed to look "cinematic" or something so that is the lowest I render. I forgot, time lapse videos can vary a lot. Depending how long they are I have ramped up the speed to frame rates that probably aren't interpreted correctly