What does the "Spotlight" Annotation do?

SeanFace101

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Am I using the Spotlight Annotation wrong? or does all it do is put a box around something on the video that the colour can be changed? I thought it would have at least made whats outside the box darker or something so that the veiwers attention is put on whats in the box? :p

AustinCollings

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
I thought the spotlight annotation was the little "i" that pops up on the top right when you're watching a video. I believe it's used to link or "spotlight" other videos or maybe even links while someone is watching a video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeanFace101

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
that's for the Cards your talking about, yeah that's to link to other videos, playlists, links, etc.. :p I'm talking about in the part where you add new annotations to videos, there is a type of annotation that is called "Spotlight", but it seems kinda rubbish tbh, that's why I'm thinking maybe I didn't use it correctly lol. :p

ItsBecky

Internet Idiot who loves making people laugh
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I use it in my outro, you are meant to put a caption that comes up when you hover over the annotation but i don't, i just change the colour haha

SeanFace101

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I use it in my outro, you are meant to put a caption that comes up when you hover over the annotation but i don't, i just change the colour haha
I just watched your video in signature. :p Yeah I see where you have added it at the end of your video. :p Its a bit disappointing to be honest lol. The annotation I'm talking about, not your video. :p

ItsBecky

Internet Idiot who loves making people laugh
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I just watched your video in signature. :p Yeah I see where you have added it at the end of your video. :p Its a bit disappointing to be honest lol. The annotation I'm talking about, not your video. :p
Hahahahaha I was gonna say! But Thankyou :) it's the easiest way of doing it at the moment haha

Reactions: SeanFace101

KQ4rt

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
For me I just put the Spotlight onto a Subscribe button in my outro haha

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Spotlights are kind of cool, especially for making links. You have two boxes -- one that represents the link clickable/mouseover area (it also can have the color changed), and the second box is where you can put text. If a user mouseovers the first box's area, the text will appear. I've started to use it to write the titles of the videos if a viewer mouseovers them during the ending video card. It keeps the ending card generic and easy to add to videos while editing, yet the spotlights help personalize the different cards at the end of each video without adding a lot of cluttering text.