What defines a vlog?

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I've been confused for a while now what defines an actual vlog.

I've seen people title videos like this "whisper challenge vlog" or "cooking with (so and so) vlog"

But then I've seen the same exact thing without the word vlog in the title just straight up "whisper challenge."

A few youtubers I watch have a main channel and vlog channel but they post videos of themselves talking in front of a camera on both channels but only label on a vlog channel when they both seem to be vlogs.

Is a vlog no editing at all just talking?

One example is colleen Ballinger she has a vlog channel and a main channel but they both have what appears to be vlogs so why not just have one channel?

Edit: to better explain colleen has a video on her main channel titled "trying on baby clothes" Then on her vlog channel she has a video titled "meeting my nephew" couldn't both these videos be on her main channel? They both are about her and both have her talking in a camera

Vedstedsen

Globus Travellus
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I believe a Vlog is about the person behind the camera. A sharing of thought, opinions and experience and plenty of bias.
In travel vlogs its about the persons biased experience while a travel documentary is less biased and about whats around the producer rather than the producer itself.

Clearly from what you've seen, vlog is used very widely. Some people like Colleen might have a vlog type content on her main channel, maybe due to her expecting the content to be more popular, thus more views. Or simply put, she might be out of content and feels forced to push more content on to her main channel.

Disclaimer, I didnt watch her channel. If its a her even.

Ernie Jo

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
In general, a vlog is something that isn't scripted, or isn't like a sketch or scene you're doing, or whatever. That would be called a 'short'. So if I had a video that was two guys walking into a convenience store and they were playing parts and acting, that's a short. But if I just film myself in real life going into a convenience store then that would be a vlog.

I don't know if that made sense haha but hopefully.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
vlog = Video blog. A blog in video format. Random thoughts, journaling, stories etc.

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
In general, a vlog is something that isn't scripted, or isn't like a sketch or scene you're doing, or whatever. That would be called a 'short'. So if I had a video that was two guys walking into a convenience store and they were playing parts and acting, that's a short. But if I just film myself in real life going into a convenience store then that would be a vlog.

I don't know if that made sense haha but hopefully.
So why is youtubers like Colleen have a vlog channel and a main channel which both consist of unscripted videos? Wouldn't it just make more sense to have the main channel and not a second one and just throw all the ones from the vlog channel on the main channel since the main channel already has unscripted videos that fit a vlog definition?

To me that makes the most sense and would get more views if you don't have to bounce around to multiple channels.

PopsLetsPlay

UBER Gamer
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Vlog is short for Video Log. the definition of log in this instance is:

"an official record of events"

I believe you can edit these, in the case that you are done talking about it and moving into another subject..or if you are moving about, cut when you have finished one event and are transitioning to another.

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Vlog is short for Video Log. the definition of log in this instance is:

"an official record of events"

I believe you can edit these, in the case that you are done talking about it and moving into another subject..or if you are moving about, cut when you have finished one event and are transitioning to another.
Just messaged you.

Dismal Bliss

www.BDRC.tv
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Back in the day, the big thing was a blog. A blogger wrote about a certain subject, whether it be technology, travel, etc. Then a little later, people started 'blogs' that were essentially journal entries.

A vlog started as a 'video blog', which was a video about a certain subject, whether it be technology, travel, etc. Bloggers would often compliment their wordpress sites with YouTube videos on the same subject. Then, a little while later, people started "vlogging" and producing videos that were essentially journal entries or highlights from one's day/week/vacation/etc. To them, a vlog is a "video log".

So in short, a vlog can be anything on video that revolves around a particular niche. However, the word is starting to become closely associated with those who are document highlights in their life's activities, like a video diary.

Reactions: Crown