What defines a successful channel?

Hey guys, I'm RainingRainbowz, or just Jason. Now I'm setting up my Youtube channel, working on the visual appearances before uploading any content. I want to make sure I appeal to my audience, So I have created both my banner, and avatar. I would really love your guys' feed back. A very in depth analysis would be awesome, brutal honesty is acceptable. Tear my channel to shreds please, at least, in a constructive manner. Thank you for your time!

I'm personally not a big fan of CoD.

Which is what your banner is. At least make it more about your channel and not just that.

Unless your channel will only be about that series then go right ahead I guess.

Although that on it's own really limits your audience.

Your logo is fine if not a bit generic.
I would much rather see something with more personality I guess.

Lastly before your first video I swear if I see another intro like this

I will destroy my apartment.

@GrakGames Trust me, I can't stand those overly excessive 3d intros. I'm really into the Adobe After Effects 2d style with matte colors and shapes everywhere. So to my understanding, you are saying in your opinion, I should remove the COD from the background and make it more vague, but applied to my channel as a whole? When talking about my logo do you mean my avatar or the one in my banner? Thanks for your opinions btw!

Oh okay good. Sorry for the assumption that will be your intro.
Just the CoD really felt like that.

and yeah, if your channel is mostly CoD related then keep it.
If it is not and you are doing other things keep it more like the "whole" of your channel I guess.
I was talking about your avatar :p
Two R's
Small Straight SEMI rainbow in between them
Blur on each edge.

Boom done. lol. It just feels generic and a lot of people have that type of image. Which sometimes is fine but most of the time will make people not want to come back.

For the other one it's nice and simple. It pops a bit, which is nice but it's not to flashy.

@GrakGames I worked really hard with the blue color scheme logo, I just couldn't make it look nice in the avatar image so I tried the other Rainbow. I lack necessary photoshop skills and such so I'm looking for other help at this point. I would like to not only focus on COD however I think with just starting off at least it may be easiest in this particular moment. However I am also looking into making the banner encompass myself rather than my content. Thanks a lot I really appreciate everything you said!

Just get on with it and stop fluffing around with pretty pictures and useless detail.
Let your video's do the talking, your 1 sub is not there because of your banner, he is waiting for a video and will be gone soon.

Unless you subbed yourself that is :)

@eWasteBen I surprisingly did not sub myself. However I am away at school while my materials necessary sits unfortunately two hours away. I will be home for a long period of time which is why I'm taking care of this portion now.

Getting some videos up would be a start, your visuals all look pretty good for someone with 1 sub. You can build bigger and better visuals as you progress and get new ideas. I'm always changing bits and pieces on my channel, it's still pretty unprofessional but I'd say it's doing well for a year and a bit since the start...

You've got some good advice about how to improve the artwork so I won't address that, but to answer the question in the title of the thread....

What defines a successful channel?

Short answer: It's the content. The videos. The rest is pretty much irrelevant.

Here's a fun exercise to prove the point. Write down your 5 favourite YouTube channels. For each one, write down the top 3 reasons why they are your favourite. If you're honest, the 3 reasons will be related to their videos and the personality of the channel owner.

Now think about why you unsub and stop watching a particular YouTuber. I doubt the reason is because you didn't like their banner. ;)

That's not to say having a banner is bad, it's just that it will have a miniscule influence on whether a channel becomes successful or not and so it's better to spend your time making awesome videos.

If you're going to spend time on artwork, then I'd recommend you spend it on learning to make great thumbnails. That is definitely time well spent. Good luck. :)

Back