VRONA

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So I've been working away hard at my channel for 4 years now, and with small successes here and there in the past, but in general, it hasn't been doing well. There is no viewer interaction, no active subscribers, no sharing of videos, only about 10 views per video, and no likes/dislikes. So what could have caused my channel to get into this state. I mean it was never really that successful, but even my first year, back when the quality of my videos was much, much worse, my videos were all getting around 50-150 views, with my most viewed being around 300 views. Now getting more than 20 is a huge achievement, with quality that's much better.

The most successful series are my Pokémon TCG opening videos, which get around 50 views, which is insane. They both broken my channel's record of most views in one day and most views in an hour. But they still get no comments, no likes, and I don't get any subs from them either.

So what happened?

Reide

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I hope you don't take this the wrong way as this is constructive cricism. The first thing I noticed

Youtube has decided you're related to Jake Paul. He can be controversial so maybe thats damaging you. I'd look at your tagging.

Your audio is not great. maybe try cleaning it up in an audio program (audacity has a bunch of features) or even buying a mic. The feedback is giving me a head ache. Your thumbnails are dull or busy. I would look at trying to make the colours pop a little. In studio are we were taught fore ground and back ground. Only one should be your focus point (to simplify things). There are a lot of things going aon. Also look at colour pallets. A lot of the times people will click what looks more appealing colourwise. If the colours don't blend well then they aren't appealing. And your voice lacks energy in what I have seen. Maybe try so vocal warmups and play with sounds to see what your voice can do to be more engaging. Honestly I cant get into your content as it is and feel these issues may be why.

VRONA

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Youtube has decided you're related to Jake Paul. He can be controversial so maybe thats damaging you. I'd look at your tagging.
How that's a thing, I really have no idea. He's not even a gaming channel. Our channels are polar opposites: his grew super fast quickly, and mine is struggling for even 10 views per video after 4 years.
Your audio is not great. maybe try cleaning it up in an audio program (audacity has a bunch of features)
I already do have audacity, but don't use it for anything, especially my videos, as I record video and audio together. I've been trying to fix up my audio as much as possible in OBS, so if you know how to do that that would great.
or even buying a mic.
I just got a new mic just for my channel 4 months ago.
Your thumbnails are dull or busy. I would look at trying to make the colours pop a little.
How exactly though? What exactly should I add/remove from them?
Also look at colour pallets.
I never really add anything to do with colour anyway. Should I start?

Reide

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
How that's a thing, I really have no idea. He's not even a gaming channel. Our channels are polar opposites: his grew super fast quickly, and mine is struggling for even 10 views per video after 4 years.
If you look at his videos he obviously does put a lot of effort into his videos. But Jake Paul was a Disney child star so it's normal for his channel to have a following. He was also a viner. Loads of these "viral" channels have a following from elsewhere. Sasefrasse (I may spell all the names I mention wrong) has twitch. Jazza draws came from some flash developping place. Networking is a great way to bring in traffic.
I already do have audacity, but don't use it for anything, especially my videos, as I record video and audio together. I've been trying to fix up my audio as much as possible in OBS, so if you know how to do that that would great.
This here shows a problem. You need to put in effort to get big. in OBS you can use filters (click the dial next to mic volume) and play with that however it is better to be able to clean up the audio separately from the video. You have more control. You can rip the MP3 from the video file to clean it up in Audacity but you need to show effort.
I just got a new mic just for my channel 4 months ago.
New mic doesn't mean good mic. I would try and get the snowball or the yeti if you plan on doing this professionally. But you can work with what you have.
How exactly though? What exactly should I add/remove from them?
I can't exactly tell you that. However look at other gaming channels. See what they do. Then look at yours.
A little colour theory goes a long way

Complementary colours are two colours that cancel each other out to make "neutral". Imagine the centre is "Neutral". Red, yellow and blue are your primary colours. Green, orange and violet are your tertiary colours. Red complements green (blue and yellow together), yellow complement violet (red and blue together) and blue complements copper (red and yellow). There is a science about how colours appeal to us. So for instance you could have a violet background with a yellow. The eye is likely to be drawn to the more extravagant colour... or simply the colour "out of place". So say you have a simple back ground with a bold font, the font would draw the eyes. This is what you would want. Because when someone reads your font that is them being interested.
I never really add anything to do with colour anyway. Should I start?
Colour is important. You are already using colour. You're just not using it in an appealing method.
Good luck.

VRONA

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Loads of these "viral" channels have a following from elsewhere. Sasefrasse (I may spell all the names I mention wrong) has twitch. Jazza draws came from some flash developping place. Networking is a great way to bring in traffic.
I do have a Twtich and Mixer where, on top of YouTube, all my livestreams are streamed.
in OBS you can use filters (click the dial next to mic volume)
I know, I'm not new to this, and I tried using them to improve the quality before. Just need to know what filter to use and what to set it to.
New mic doesn't mean good mic.
It's still better than my old one though.

Complementary colours are two colours that cancel each other out to make "neutral". Imagine the centre is "Neutral". Red, yellow and blue are your primary colours. Green, orange and violet are your tertiary colours. Red complements green (blue and yellow together), yellow complement violet (red and blue together) and blue complements copper (red and yellow). There is a science about how colours appeal to us. So for instance you could have a violet background with a yellow. The eye is likely to be drawn to the more extravagant colour... or simply the colour "out of place". So say you have a simple back ground with a bold font, the font would draw the eyes. This is what you would want. Because when someone reads your font that is them being interested.
I do know colour theory. Just like I said I have nothing to use it on.
but you need to show effort.
You need to put in effort to get big.
I do put in all the effort I can. Where did this come from?

Reide

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I do have a Twtich and Mixer where, on top of YouTube, all my livestreams are streamed.
What I am saying is a lot of the youtubers that get a quick following bring it from other platforms. They already had those subs elsewhere. Youtube doesn't just happen overnight and when it does its rare
I know, I'm not new to this, and I tried using them to improve the quality before. Just need to know what filter to use and what to set it to.
It's a case by case thing. I can't persoanlly fix your mic for you.
It's still better than my old one though.
Yes but it still could use a bit of cleaning up. When I was at vidcon the general concensess was that audio was slightly more important then the visual aspect.
I do know colour theory. Just like I said I have nothing to use it on.
You can use it on your thumbnails...
I do put in all the effort I can. Where did this come from?
The fact that you aren't willing to follow any advice I've tried to give you. You seem to disagree with every bit of help I'm trying to give you. The biggest issue is the mic. You need to reduce the noise because its hard to understand and concentrate. When I use a mic I use a singstar mic and clean it up to make is understandable.

6StringMadMan

I've Got It
Reaction score
If you were having better results a few years ago then it probably has to do with competition. A few years back I could upload a video and not bother optimizing or promoting it and still get at least a few views per day, but that's no longer the case. Besides that, YouTube has changed their algorithm a few times in the last few years, and one very big difference today is that if you upload a video in a niche that isn't super easy and it gets barely any views, it's rank will drop quickly until it lands on the last page of the results.

AmberAndGolden

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Youtube has decided you're related to Jake Paul. He can be controversial so maybe thats damaging you.
I'd just like to say that my 'related' also has him in, I don't think its anything to do with tagging.. Unless I'm also a prankster ;)
Also, your channel button doesn't work, it seems?! I tried clicking it and it didn't come up with anything, so I searched your name and since you were on 599 subs I literally had to make it 600 hahah

How though?
You can reduce noise in your videos by exporting them as WAV (or converting them to WAV online) and running them through audacity's 'noise reduction', there should be videos online on how to do this but it's pretty simple
Are you using a mic? If so, I'd suggest standing closer to it, if you don't have one.. Maybe you could consider getting one? You can get clip on mics relatively cheaply (£10-£15)

As for your thumbnails, I'd suggest adding either text, a logo, or some sort of recognisable 'character' or logo to it, something that matches your icon and banner if you can

If you have changed what you make on your channel since you started, I think that might be where the problem is, it's not necessarily that your content is BAD or less popular, but I've had an issue where my content style changed about 1-2 years ago and my growth has slowed down since then, since I have more inactive subs now than I did before...
Just keep doing what you're doing, post as much as you can and make sure your quality/content is always up to your own expectations, so you know its good!

VRONA

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You can reduce noise in your videos by exporting them as WAV (or converting them to WAV online) and running them through audacity's 'noise reduction', there should be videos online on how to do this but it's pretty simple
Can I do it when the audio is in an mp4 file though? Because I record my video and audio together. Plus is there a way to do it straight from OBS?
Are you using a mic? If so, I'd suggest standing closer to it,
Yes I do, and it's only about 3cm away from me.
As for your thumbnails, I'd suggest adding either text, a logo, or some sort of recognisable 'character' or logo to it, something that matches your icon and banner if you can
What text should I add? Also I already include my logo in all my thumbnails.
If you have changed what you make on your channel since you started, I think that might be where the problem is, it's not necessarily that your content is BAD or less popular,
Been doing the same videos throughout the 4 years.