Welcome to the beginning of Paying for Videos.

Don't forget guys for the forseeable future the channels we already watch will remain free. These are just new channel with 'exclusive' content or whatever. I really doubt it'll do a fat lot of harm. YouTube has had paid content for years now.

Don't forget guys for the forseeable future the channels we already watch will remain free. These are just new channel with 'exclusive' content or whatever. I really doubt it'll do a fat lot of harm. YouTube has had paid content for years now.

Completely agree.
Its fine to charge for movies and some content, but most of youtube will remain free I reckon.
I certainly won't be charging people to view - I'd end up losing all my viewers! Lol

Completely agree.
Its fine to charge for movies and some content, but most of youtube will remain free I reckon.
I certainly won't be charging people to view - I'd end up losing all my viewers! Lol

They couldn't force independent channels (even networked ones) to charge for viewing anyway because it wouldn't be listed in any contracts and as most of us know, to change a contract, it has to be agreed with the person signing it first.

I have seen this post crop up loads in the past month, people are getting really worried at times but I wouldn't worry. It'll be a test, nobody will pay and they'll keep their paid content to films and TV shows like they do already.

Only channels that belong to things that you would pay for anyway are aloud to do this. So to get channel 4 you need to pay for a TV subscription anyway so really it's just cutting out the need to get a Sky box (or whatever else you use) so it's good for some reasons.. Yhese payable features won't be available for everyone (the average user) and hopefully won't be available for youtube partners either! Really it's not going to effect us that much because all the channels we currently watch are going to be staying free..

As for the Movie I love this feature I've used it a few times as places like blockbuster have closed done. I can just jump onto youtube and watch a good film, but with supporting the production companies and stuff and also get good quality :)

Only channels that belong to things that you would pay for anyway are aloud to do this. So to get channel 4 you need to pay for a TV subscription anyway so really it's just cutting out the need to get a Sky box (or whatever else you use) so it's good for some reasons.. Yhese payable features won't be available for everyone (the average user) and hopefully won't be available for youtube partners either! Really it's not going to effect us that much because all the channels we currently watch are going to be staying free..

As for the Movie I love this feature I've used it a few times as places like blockbuster have closed done. I can just jump onto youtube and watch a good film, but with supporting the production companies and stuff and also get good quality :)

I'm a huge supporter of streaming/digital media. I do this on my xbox. Sure it's pricey but it stops me wasting money on random films I may not like, makes me more choosy :)

Good point about it possibly being available to the average Partner. But I have an inkling that YT would want full control over that to keep the wallet in their pocket, so to speak.

YouTube is just trying to be more like netflix and hulu or whatever. This will (probably/hopefully) only affect channels that are owned by companies and post episodes of television shows.

If this does work... netflix and such will be in BIG trouble.

Back