Using Instagram for Promotion?

Quick Question

Questions Answer Everything
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Do you use Instagram for promotion and outreach for your channel? Why or why not? What are some ways you use Instagram.

I've been watching Gary Vaynerchuk and have decided to do his DM method but on my own profile I am having trouble with it. Should I post screenshots or videos (IF I POST VIDEOS DO I SAY LINK IN BIO OR SHOULD I JUST LEAVE MY CHANNEL LINK)? Is it worth my time?

Instagram isn't as simple as the others. At least for me.

Simon's Lair

Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I spent a few months building a following on Instagram. I put my channel link in my Instagram page description. I feel that the key to doing well and connecting on Instagram is consistent posting and reaching out to followers via direct messaging and supporting their interests. When I release an episode on YouTube, I create a 5 second trailer to post on Instagram.

Although a lot of people follow for my photos, I find that the core subscribers and followers use my Instagram to stay updated on my show. It's really important to have consistent branding throughout your social media channels and content. I try and take almost all of my photos on a white background and place an object near my bearded dragons so that I stand out different than all the other accounts. It is certainly the #1 social media channel for updating my followers/subscribers.

As for the DM method you mentioned, yes it does work, but you have to have something original, strong, and different to entice people to view your content.

Instagram also makes it easy for you to post across all of your social media channels, which is a nice plus.

Reactions: Quick Question

Quick Question

Questions Answer Everything
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I spent a few months building a following on Instagram. I put my channel link in my Instagram page description. I feel that the key to doing well and connecting on Instagram is consistent posting and reaching out to followers via direct messaging and supporting their interests. When I release an episode on YouTube, I create a 5 second trailer to post on Instagram.

Although a lot of people follow for my photos, I find that the core subscribers and followers use my Instagram to stay updated on my show. It's really important to have consistent branding throughout your social media channels and content. I try and take almost all of my photos on a white background and place an object near my bearded dragons so that I stand out different than all the other accounts. It is certainly the #1 social media channel for updating my followers/subscribers.

As for the DM method you mentioned, yes it does work, but you have to have something original, strong, and different to entice people to view your content.

Instagram also makes it easy for you to post across all of your social media channels, which is a nice plus.
I see how it works for you, thank you very much. You mind sharing what kind of photos you are sharing? I have not revealed my self to my audience IRL (I'm BATMAN!). So if I post a photo it would be maybe a screenshot from the video or a short clip like you do but besides that I am a little curious about what else I can do.

Simon's Lair

Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Okay, after looking at your channel and watching some of your videos I think you could benefit greatly from an Instagram account in terms of your viewers engagement and asking questions. If I were you, I would stick with one font, 2-3 colors and a recognizable logo/brand image for your show and use that to prompt people to ask you questions so that you have 2 platforms of questions to choose from. Because the way your show is formatted and since you release videos so frequently, you can also post images of things related to your episode that are popular. So you can post images of IT for example and put your logo/question next to it. You can also do give aways via Instagram and engage via submission there. I would personally narrow the quick questions into a niche so you are more easily branded, like quick questions movies, or quick questions games, etc. Just as long as it is something you are passionate about. People are always looking for an expert and if you brand yourself as that person, you will get a ton. After you post enough there, it should be easier to DM people that follow that niche and let them know if they will be featured on the show. Instagram is all about looking professional and creative with imagery. If you want you can check my page out for ideas @simonslairshow so you can see how I do my branding. I definitely got a lot more people interested once I stuck with a consistent formula and message.

TheHerdLife

Reaction score
How was the best way you built your instagram. We have been trying like crazy but it seems to be very slow.

Simon's Lair

Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I started by learning to take professional photos and interacting with my community. I made sure that every post I made could be liked for its aesthetic value versus who it was targeted for, that way other people could still follow and enjoy the content even if they weren't a part of the community I was posting for. I also spent a lot of time following accounts I really enjoyed of other people who owned bearded dragons and liked and commented on 30 posts a day. I also posted every day for a month while my account was still new. I would say the most important thing is to find content you enjoy and interacting with those accounts.

I took a look at your Instagram and I think you are doing well branding yourself and your photos look good, it might just take more time to break through in your specific community. I would focus on adding more consistency to your post format and scheduling. And if all else fails, you can follow accounts of similar content you like and reach out to them for some advice. I would also add more to your description on your page, people don't know what the brand of TheHerdLife is yet, that's where you can tell them. Overall I think your page looks good, it's just pushing the engagement and giving more information to your followers that I would work on.

Highfalutin' Low Carb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Go to YouTube, find the Glam and Gore channel, find her video titled "How To Gain Subs From Nothing." She goes in depth into how to promote on Instagram.

Every video in her YouTube tips series is FANTASTIC. So much good info it's crazy. Girl is SMART.

Reactions: Simon's Lair

Ocean Chan

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I am having way more success building my actual youtube channel, than any other social media platform. Twitter is a mess, no one uses Google+ and my instagram seems to have its own separate fanbase completely detached from my youtube!!!

I normally post up stills from my video, put some filters and tags on it. People like it, but I can't really tell if it directs them to my channel

TheHerdLife

Reaction score
Go to YouTube, find the Glam and Gore channel, find her video titled "How To Gain Subs From Nothing." She goes in depth into how to promote on Instagram.

Every video in her YouTube tips series is FANTASTIC. So much good info it's crazy. Girl is SMART.
Thanks for the link to Glam and Gore it was super helpful.