Uploading DJ Mixes to YouTube

reload472

Reaction score
Hey,

I'd like to ask if anyone knows if uploading a DJ mix to YouTube is possible without it getting taken down due to copyright strikes. I know that uploading original tracks by certain artists is possible because royalties will just end up in the hands of the original artist and that's perfectly fine, but how would this be with entire mixes of multiple tracks? (read: around 20 tracks from different artists and labels)

Would each individual artist/label get their share? Or would the video be taken down regardless? I'm having difficulty finding a 100% answer on this and I don't want my channel to get claims and maybe even get my channel removed in the long run.

Hoping this is the place where I can finally get an answer on this problem.

Thanks!

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the copyright / legal forum. :)

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Any one of the original song owners (as well as the person who did the mix) could issue a copyright claim or a full strike.

reload472

Reaction score
So how do people like Hardwell for example (Hardwell on air on YouTube) do their mixes? I highly doubt they never get any claims right? Yet every episode is still up on YouTube without problems. Explain that to me because I have no clue how people like that do it

HiEnergy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
So how do people like Hardwell for example do their mixes?
Perhaps they're just "too big to fail". Or they have broad licensing deals with the rights holders/record labels.
I wouldn't dare putting up music where I can't prove it's my own or I have proper licensing rights.

reload472

Reaction score
Are you guys absolutely sure? There's also a lot of smaller youtubers uploading mixes without any problems? I just need to be sure. Like I said before I have no problems with giving up all ad revenue on the specific mix. I just don't want any strikes on my account.

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
there is a company called "dubset" who automatically has license deals with music publishers and labels. It lets practically anyone use bootleg acapella tracks etc and when you upload it to the site it lets you know if it can be commercially released. It can be uploaded to spotify, apple music and YouTube. The guy that owns it was a former Sony Music manager. There is also documentation online about this. It's like YouTube where it detects samples with ID etc. I have asked the guy that owns it and he says it's different in that if a user submits a remix and it's not legal to publish it will tell you and won't penalize you like it does with YouTube. That's probably why most of the remixes are on YouTube is because there is actually a license with the company you submitted it to.

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Are you guys absolutely sure?
The only way to be absolutely sure is to license all of the necessary rights.

There's also a lot of smaller youtubers uploading mixes without any problems? I just need to be sure. Like I said before I have no problems with giving up all ad revenue on the specific mix. I just don't want any strikes on my account.
How do you know they don't have any problems? They could very easily have copyright claims (or even strikes) that you don't know about... and you can't see any number of channels that have already been closed for various violations.

If you don't want to risk strikes on your account, there are only 2 options- either license all of the necessary rights for everything you use or create everything yourself.

You'd also be better off if you worried more about yourself and less about how others are doing things. Even if smaller channels don't have the proper rights to post and have remained lucky so far, there's no telling how much longer that could last.

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
The only way to be absolutely sure is to license all of the necessary rights.

How do you know they don't have any problems? They could very easily have copyright claims (or even strikes) that you don't know about... and you can't see any number of channels that have already been closed for various violations.

If you don't want to risk strikes on your account, there are only 2 options- either license all of the necessary rights for everything you use or create everything yourself.

You'd also be better off if you worried more about yourself and less about how others are doing things. Even if smaller channels don't have the proper rights to post and have remained lucky so far, there's no telling how much longer that could last.
did you read my entire message? I said that i've spoken with the guy who owns dubset. All the remixes get a license through dubset to be allowed on YouTube. Go look up dubset. It's plainly clear. Even avicii who recently passed way used it and he was selling songs like crazy. Major artists use dusbet for this reason because they don't have to go through complicated paperwork. The license clearance is already done for anyone who uploads the songs. Why don't you email the guy who owns dubset and ask him how he's so sure there aren't any problems.

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Oh look, someone else saying "they're breaking the law, I want to break the law too!"

Yeah, not impressed.