Unsure about 60 fps for 8 day vlog?

Nicky Furmage

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Ill be doing an 8 day las vegas vlog soon and after upgrading to a G7X mark 2 im unsure weather to go 60 fps or stick to 30 fps?
After doing some test runs i feel its great at 60 fps and looks super smooth, im just wondering if hours of footage at 60 fps to edit a 8 day vlog may be a big ask?

Any thought from you experts welcome?
Thanks

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I shoot everything in 60FPS..
if it's a high-action video, I will edit and output in 60FPS.. if it's a slower/less action video, then I'll output at 30FPS.

For me, and for my videos, it's best to always film in 60 because it's better to have it and not need it, then to need it, and not have it. Also in my case, on my computer, editing 60 vs 30 makes no difference that I can see/taste/feel.

Nicky Furmage

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Thanks i guess its better to have than not. Im going to have to purchase some spare batteries either way. Its not high action, but the vegas scene will be cool at a better quality im sure.[DOUBLEPOST=1494094253,1494093582][/DOUBLEPOST]What are the negative point of shooting 1080p at 60 fps? Other than file size. Is night shooting affected at all?

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Shooting at 60 you may need more light. Also, in bright light, you may get more 'jello' effect on high action.
Your biggest issue might be night shooting. You may want to do a low-light test at 30 and 60 to see how the two compare.

Nicky Furmage

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Yeah i will thanks for the input.

oscarflowers

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
60fps can make a large majority of indoor lights have the 'flashing lines' effect, which can be a negative connotation, but unless you're filming indoors with ceiling lights that shouldn't be a problem.

Nicky Furmage

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
If you shoot 30 frames and 60 frames and say had 50% of each in a 10 minute video would it be best to process the final edit at 60?

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
If you shoot 30 frames and 60 frames and say had 50% of each in a 10 minute video would it be best to process the final edit at 60?
I think it depends on what you are shooting.. if you have a lot of low light stuff or action footage, then it's probably best to edit in a 60FPS timeline.
If you have a lot of slow/cinematic stuff, then probably best in 30..
Again, I say, try a test doing it both ways and then see which you prefer.

Nicky Furmage

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Thanks for your tips, appreciate it.

MostShockingEP

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Well you can easily change from 30fps to 60fps and vice versa at any time. It really depends what you need 60fps for, if you want it for slow mo, then you can mix it with 30fps footage. If you want all your video to be 60fps then stick to 60fps only as for size you can easily calculate how much space you will need. If space and your machine can handle editing this footage go for 60fps.