Twitch Raiding, Swatting and Doxing gone too far?

Deltoy

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
So alot of people in the past couple months of Twitch have been swatted. For example, kootra. My question is, is twitch safe? Because what I want to know is if any potential streamers would see this as a turnoff. Such as sending pizza to sending a SWAT Team to your door. It's pretty strange. There's even groups of such that do stuff like that.

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The moment it happened it crossed the line. So no, we are way past the question you are asking.

BwithJuju

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
My brother is a big fan of twitch and a few people he watched got swatted. It really feels like it's happening to more people than it should be, and for it to be happening at all is pretty bad in the first place, really.[DOUBLEPOST=1446886020,1446885927][/DOUBLEPOST]
The moment it happened it crossed the line. So no, we are way past the question you are asking.
Unrelated but I think I've seen you on youtube before

Kaleido

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Honestly it's pretty easy to not get doxxed if you aren't stupid. The fact that someone can even find these people's addresses to swat them means they did something wrong. People overshare on social media way too much and then are surprised when it comes back to bite them. When you put yourself out in public like that, you should do everything you can to not have that personal information available in any way. It's really easy to avoid, to be honest.

It sucks that it happens, because it's taking valuable law enforcement resources away from a potential real need, but I don't have much sympathy for people who get swatted because that just means their address is available somewhere and easy to find.

Squeal Cat

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Honestly it's pretty easy to not get doxxed if you aren't stupid. The fact that someone can even find these people's addresses to swat them means they did something wrong. People overshare on social media way too much and then are surprised when it comes back to bite them. When you put yourself out in public like that, you should do everything you can to not have that personal information available in any way. It's really easy to avoid, to be honest.

It sucks that it happens, because it's taking valuable law enforcement resources away from a potential real need, but I don't have much sympathy for people who get swatted because that just means their address is available somewhere and easy to find.
Don't know about that. Twitch streamers would like to receive donations; after donation a whole lot of personal information of the streamer becomes available.

So you could say people are too careless about personal information, but it's where the initiators of these "pranks" are the ones crossing the lines.

Kaleido

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Don't know about that. Twitch streamers would like to receive donations; after donation a whole lot of personal information of the streamer becomes available.

So you could say people are too careless about personal information, but it's where the initiators of these "pranks" are the ones crossing the lines.
What? There's plenty of ways to receive donations without doxxing yourself. That's just irresponsible.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not victim blaming here, obviously the people swatting are wrong, and I do hope they face serious consequences for their actions in the future, but there are plenty of ways to protect yourself from attacks that every streamer should do their due diligence and research before EVER turning a stream on. DDOSing is a good example, it's insanely easy to protect yourself against, but no one does it until after they've had a problem. It's just stupid. Don't put out that kind of information and you'll be safe.

I've been on the internet for a long time, though. I guess a lot of younger people don't realize the danger they're putting themselves in when they make their lives public. They just see people on the internet making money with streams and go "HEY I WANNA DO THAT" and don't do even a modicum of research. Sad, really.

Squeal Cat

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
What? There's plenty of ways to receive donations without doxxing yourself. That's just irresponsible.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not victim blaming here, obviously the people swatting are wrong, and I do hope they face serious consequences for their actions in the future, but there are plenty of ways to protect yourself from attacks that every streamer should do their due diligence and research before EVER turning a stream on. DDOSing is a good example, it's insanely easy to protect yourself against, but no one does it until after they've had a problem. It's just stupid. Don't put out that kind of information and you'll be safe.

I've been on the internet for a long time, though. I guess a lot of younger people don't realize the danger they're putting themselves in when they make their lives public. They just see people on the internet making money with streams and go "HEY I WANNA DO THAT" and don't do even a modicum of research. Sad, really.
To be fair I don't know how easy it is to protect yourselves. I watches a lot of streams, but if there are idiots in your audience I could understand it's hard to protect yourselves. I did watch some very popular streamers and they seem not to have a solution to people Ddossing them. They admit they have done a lot to prevent it, but it didn't work. Even large organized tournaments gets Ddossed. I don't know if they have done enough to prevent it, since I don't have any streaming experience. And it's the downside of becoming popular, you attract fans but also a few idiots.

And yes, you need to know what you're doing on the internet. But could you expect that from a 14 year old? Some parents don't even know what they are doing, or are too unfamiliar with the internet.

About donations, I don't know... The only way I know how to receive donations without sharing your personal information is Bitcoins...

Kaleido

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
To be fair I don't know how easy it is to protect yourselves. I watches a lot of streams, but if there are idiots in your audience I could understand it's hard to protect yourselves. I did watch some very popular streamers and they seem not to have a solution to people Ddossing them. They admit they have done a lot to prevent it, but it didn't work. Even large organized tournaments gets Ddossed. I don't know if they have done enough to prevent it, since I don't have any streaming experience. And it's the downside of becoming popular, you attract fans but also a few idiots.

And yes, you need to know what you're doing on the internet. But could you expect that from a 14 year old? Some parents don't even know what they are doing, or are too unfamiliar with the internet.
It's very easy. Google 'Destiny ddos guide'. I'd link it but I don't have VIP right now. It's trivial to protect yourself. Most people, including major tournaments for some stupid reason, don't do their due diligence to protect themselves, and its just embarrassing.

14 year olds shouldn't be streaming if they don't know what the ramifications are. That's just bad parenting at that point.

Squeal Cat

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
It's very easy. Google 'Destiny ddos guide'. I'd link it but I don't have VIP right now. It's trivial to protect yourself. Most people, including major tournaments for some stupid reason, don't do their due diligence to protect themselves, and its just embarrassing.

14 year olds shouldn't be streaming if they don't know what the ramifications are. That's just bad parenting at that point.
Okay :).

14 years olds also shouldn't be sharing stuff on Facebook, putting stuff on the internet you'll never get rid of. There's too much of a possibility people could abuse that. But try telling that to the kids :) Some might listen, most of them not :)

Reactions: Crown and Kaleido