TOP 11 THINGS I WISH I KNEW BEFORE I STARTED VLOGGING

HereBeBarr

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I’ve been on Youtube pushing 11 months now (almost 4.3 K subs) and I’ve learned a ton. This forum has been a valuable asset and now it is time to give back. Here are the 11 Things I wish I knew before I started vlogging.

1) Leaving comments on other people’s videos is a great way to network and meet other Youtubers. But it is NOT a consistent way to get subscribers. Believe me, I thought that just watching 10 new YT Travel Vlogs a day was a solid way to grow my channel in the beginning. It doesn’t work that way. Any creator who knows what he’s doing is not likely to sub back out of courtesy. And if you think sub 4 sub is worth anything, think again. Your time will be better spent elsewhere.

2) Editing is hard work. If you are shooting a travel vlog on location somewhere, your edits can take anywhere from 5-8 hours (or more) depending on video length. If you don’t enjoy the whole creative process of both shooting and editing your vlogs. I think you should find a new hobby.

3) Know your camera. It’s your best friend. Know what types of shots it’s good at getting, and what its not. For example: I wouldn’t use my go pro to get amazing food shots. Audio is very important. If you are using a point and shoot (Canon G7X Mark II user here) or a camera phone be aware that the audio will normally not be very strong in noisy situations. Plan around this, and don’t be afraid to throw in subtitles if you have to cover external ambient sounds.

4) Views are more important than subscribers. Repeat after me, views are more important than subscribers. You’re likely going to get between 5-10% of your subscribers watching your videos consistently (maybe less). However, if you create videos that get views, you will still get engagement from new people AND gain new subscribers. I think subscriber numbers don’t matter as much until you start to push to 10,000 +. You will have a few loyal customers, but it takes time to build your audience base.

5) Do ask people on your videos to subscribe. I’d recommend in the first minute or two, have a graphic that pops up suggesting they like + subscribe or ask it up front and tell people what value they will receive for it. Certainly end every video with a call to action (like, + subscribe, etc).

6) Don’t beg your friends to subscribe, don’t beg your friends to share your videos, and don’t beg your friends to comment on your videos. I know at first, it’s tempting to ask for help. But you will learn so much more, creating content and improving organically. Feel free to share your videos on your own social media and let them decide if they want to share it or not. Leave those first few videos up though as relics, even if nobody watched them. (see my graveyard on my channel, hahaha)

7) Learn how to SEO your videos from Youtube itself. What is the point of spending hours shooting and editing, if nobody finds your stuff? There are so many amazing channels out there, providing tons of FREE and USEFUL content. Subscribe to these channels immediately: Derral Eves, Tim Schmoyer, Nick Nimmin, Brian G. Johnson and Roberto Blake.

8) Thumbnails... these matter..A LOT. Think about your video and what story it is trying to tell. What is the most compelling photo that will cause somebody to click? Example: I have a video performing well about Havana,Cuba. I am using an antique car parked outside of a bright house. It’s pretty visually pleasing and has certainly helped me gain views.

9) Value. What value are you bringing to your viewers lives? If you are simply daily vlogging and not providing any unique perspectives or information, why should somebody watch? This is easier in the travel vlogging sphere where you can give out information about locations and how to save money. But if your niche is different, try to determine what a viewer gains from watching your channel. In one sentence, define what value you bring to your viewer (thanks to Tim Schmoyer for this one).

10) BE AUTHENTIC. There is a reason people are on Youtube. They want raw and they want real. Don’t be afraid to show yourself. What makes you unique? Include that in your vlogs. Don’t try to be a polished TV guy (what I used to be guilty of) or some generic person on camera. If your best friend watched your vlog, would they see you or somebody else? All the big time vloggers have one thing in common, they are authentic. And that is what separates the channels with hardcore followings from the rest. If you can just do this one thing, you will be way ahead of the game. The rest is just going to help you grow faster.

11) Patience- If you are new to Youtube, this is the most important word. Videos take time to get views. If you create quality content, with good SEO, and know where to share your videos, sooner or later, one is going to catch fire. And you’ll see how fast you can really grow. I gained 2,000 subscribers in two-weeks , and that’s nothing compared to what others have done.

Guys, feel free to add more to my list ! I haven’t seen a ton of vloggers post on here, so do reach out.

Last edited:

hollyandbart

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hi HereBeBarr!! I just wanted to thank you for writing this post. We're both new to this YouTube game and trying to figure it out. I love the honest tips here! Patience can be hard at the beginning I tell ya! Haha.

I'm curious, how did the 2000 subscribers in 2 weeks happen? I'd love to hear the story, how did you do it?

Got a subscriber!!

HereBeBarr

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Thanks. I created this video about an area of NYC called "Little Manila" and the Filipino community around the world loved it. They had no idea it existed, so the video got shared a ton, it has 200K+ views and garnered me tons of subs in a short span.

sipilatommi

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Great tips. Also, very clever watermark, makes it clear that people can sub from that (I only learned that last week :D).

HereBeBarr

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
No problem guys, I hope it helps you avoid some of the early mistakes I made.

Reactions: hollyandbart

FRANKIEandEMILY

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I’ve been on Youtube pushing 11 months now (almost 4.3 K subs) and I’ve learned a ton. This forum has been a valuable asset and now it is time to give back. Here are the 11 Things I wish I knew before I started vlogging.

1) Leaving comments on other people’s videos is a great way to network and meet other Youtubers. But it is NOT a consistent way to get subscribers. Believe me, I thought that just watching 10 new YT Travel Vlogs a day was a solid way to grow my channel in the beginning. It doesn’t work that way. Any creator who knows what he’s doing is not likely to sub back out of courtesy. And if you think sub 4 sub is worth anything, think again. Your time will be better spent elsewhere.

2) Editing is hard work. If you are shooting a travel vlog on location somewhere, your edits can take anywhere from 5-8 hours (or more) depending on video length. If you don’t enjoy the whole creative process of both shooting and editing your vlogs. I think you should find a new hobby.

3) Know your camera. It’s your best friend. Know what types of shots it’s good at getting, and what its not. For example: I wouldn’t use my go pro to get amazing food shots. Audio is very important. If you are using a point and shoot (Canon G7X Mark II user here) or a camera phone be aware that the audio will normally not be very strong in noisy situations. Plan around this, and don’t be afraid to throw in subtitles if you have to cover external ambient sounds.

4) Views are more important than subscribers. Repeat after me, views are more important than subscribers. You’re likely going to get between 5-10% of your subscribers watching your videos consistently (maybe less). However, if you create videos that get views, you will still get engagement from new people AND gain new subscribers. I think subscriber numbers don’t matter as much until you start to push to 10,000 +. You will have a few loyal customers, but it takes time to build your audience base.

5) Do ask people on your videos to subscribe. I’d recommend in the first minute or two, have a graphic that pops up suggesting they like + subscribe or ask it up front and tell people what value they will receive for it. Certainly end every video with a call to action (like, + subscribe, etc).

6) Don’t beg your friends to subscribe, don’t beg your friends to share your videos, and don’t beg your friends to comment on your videos. I know at first, it’s tempting to ask for help. But you will learn so much more, creating content and improving organically. Feel free to share your videos on your own social media and let them decide if they want to share it or not. Leave those first few videos up though as relics, even if nobody watched them. (see my graveyard on my channel, hahaha)

7) Learn how to SEO your videos from Youtube itself. What is the point of spending hours shooting and editing, if nobody finds your stuff? There are so many amazing channels out there, providing tons of FREE and USEFUL content. Subscribe to these channels immediately: Derral Eves, Tim Schmoyer, Nick Nimmin, Brian G. Johnson and Roberto Blake.

8) Thumbnails... these matter..A LOT. Think about your video and what story it is trying to tell. What is the most compelling photo that will cause somebody to click? Example: I have a video performing well about Havana,Cuba. I am using an antique car parked outside of a bright house. It’s pretty visually pleasing and has certainly helped me gain views.

9) Value. What value are you bringing to your viewers lives? If you are simply daily vlogging and not providing any unique perspectives or information, why should somebody watch? This is easier in the travel vlogging sphere where you can give out information about locations and how to save money. But if your niche is different, try to determine what a viewer gains from watching your channel. In one sentence, define what value you bring to your viewer (thanks to Tim Schmoyer for this one).

10) BE AUTHENTIC. There is a reason people are on Youtube. They want raw and they want real. Don’t be afraid to show yourself. What makes you unique? Include that in your vlogs. Don’t try to be a polished TV guy (what I used to be guilty of) or some generic person on camera. If your best friend watched your vlog, would they see you or somebody else? All the big time vloggers have one thing in common, they are authentic. And that is what separates the channels with hardcore followings from the rest. If you can just do this one thing, you will be way ahead of the game. The rest is just going to help you grow faster.

11) Patience- If you are new to Youtube, this is the most important word. Videos take time to get views. If you create quality content, with good SEO, and know where to share your videos, sooner or later, one is going to catch fire. And you’ll see how fast you can really grow. I gained 2,000 subscribers in two-weeks , and that’s nothing compared to what others have done.

Guys, feel free to add more to my list ! I haven’t seen a ton of vloggers post on here, so do reach out.

Awesome tips! I appreciate you giving back and helping out so others don't have to learn the hard way. I think #11 is what everyone struggles with the most haha

Reactions: Jacquesvh

Jacquesvh

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Very nice tips man, thanks! It's important that you actually love editing. I'm on video 63 of 365 daily vlogs and I don't have a huge subscriber base yet or views, but I'll keep being consistent as it will pay off in the end.

Reactions: HereBeBarr

HereBeBarr

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
@Jacquesvh More power to you !! I have no idea how you can do it.. I'd need to be single.. and i'd need to probably mix in some shorter videos where I just give tips or my thoughts that require almost no editing. But 365 casey neistat style daily vlogs would be the end of me, ahaha.

I'm good at 2-3 per week honestly.

Reactions: Jacquesvh