Tips on editing?

Inyx

Hello, I create unedited and sometimes heavily edited videos, where I turn 1 hour into 15 minutes of funny content. I was wondering if you guys could rate my videos/give me tips on how to improve the way I edit them/how I make them. I usually edit most of my videos the same way, so any tips would be helpful. Thanks.
Video 1: youtube.com/watch?v=mVScQC0H_o4

So please give me some tips on editing, any would be appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooph. I don't know if I would be able to help much because I'm not very interested in gaming videos at the moment. One thing I've noticed though is that the audio should be louder in video 1. Video 2 and 3 was great though. Sorry if I haven't been much of a help.

One tip i would give anyone is one i have painfully found out in the last week and am still working flat out to salvage my projects

Set up a proper file storage structure to organize your footage and carefully and thoroughly name your footage BEFORE editing

I have gave myself potentially hundreds of hours of work by not doing this properly, i thought i had a good enough file system, obviously i didn`t

When i first started with little knowledge, i did not properly name my video files and just left them with the default camera assigned names like 58758498

Then as time went on i obviously renamed them specifically without giving it much thought, then when i went to open my project files that included the renamed files, the entire project was wrecked as it was looking for the original file names

I am now on my 6th full day of trying to fix things, some were not to bad and just needed an odd file name, some i am trawling through my drives to find copies with the original file names, some i can not salvage and would have to lose or completely re-edit

This would be ok for a few video`s, but with hundreds it is a massive task, NEVER LET IT HAPPEN TO YOU

Never delay renaming, as soon as you get the footage off the device, rename it as specifically as possible, so you know exactly what it is and never need to change the file name again

I am putting in place a much more thorough file storage structure for the original footage like this

Video`s - then the category such as gaming, motorcycling etc - then years like 2014, 2015 etc - then within each year specific dates in the format of yyyy-mm-dd so 2015-11-25, this a general idea

Some categories have extra folders between them such as the gaming folder is followed by folders of each game then within the game folders, i do years, then dates

Also having project files scattered is chaos, you might have a folder with 10 video`s, but only use 3 in the project, then you might have music & voice over files somewhere else, so if you ever move or delete a file and then later go to open your project again, it can not find the files that were used

I assume most editing software has a similar feature maybe using a different term, in Cyberlink powerdirector there is an option called, pack project materials, this simply takes every file used in that project, copies it and packs it into 1 tidy folder

So i now have a folder titled, Cyberlink packed project files, so i know everything i ever need for those projects are in that 1 folder, so no matter how long goes by if i ever want to redo or adjust that project, i go to that folder open my project files and all the files needed are right there

Last edited:
Hello, I create unedited and sometimes heavily edited videos, where I turn 1 hour into 15 minutes of funny content. I was wondering if you guys could rate my videos/give me tips on how to improve the way I edit them/how I make them. I usually edit most of my videos the same way, so any tips would be helpful. Thanks.
Video 1: youtube.com/watch?v=mVScQC0H_o4

So please give me some tips on editing, any would be appreciated

Hi , welcome to YTtalk.

I've moved your thread to the reviews forum. :) Please note that the review forum is the only forum where members can ask for feedback on their videos and channel (including artwork). We like to keep this sort of thread out of the main forums. :)

Good luck.

To fix your link, please follow the instructions in this post: http://yttalk.com/threads/how-to-add-your-youtube-channel-to-every-message-post.32/

Back