Tips on Creating an Appealing Channel Banner (2014)

Brodie

YTTalk Shape Shifter
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director, Comedian, Designer
I`m going to make an input on the second point because actually no, you have the same colours text as the background but stroke around the edges, the only time this isn`t really used is when going for an abstract,clean look.

Look at a big youtuber 60% of them the text is very similar in colour to the background!
not always true though, I didn't make my background but I am in the process of making my own, thanks for the tips

Grant Casual

Future Famous Vlogger Without Big Hair
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger, Comedian
One of the many things that i hate about the new channel designs is that: the maximum file size is 1MB, which is HALF the allowed custom thumbnail size!! I had a pretty cool channel design that was close to 2MB and i tried to put a new design on it and I CAN'T PUT MY OLD DESIGN UP AGAIN!!! Before the youtube channel change last year, i had an AWESOME design and i gradually went to more bland because of the unpersonal youtube design. Now, my channel is SOELY about being creative and following your dreams... now HOW am i going to do this with a bland, grey background?

Sincerely, waiting for the new youtube design 2013! (they make a new one every year it seems!)

Who else agrees? check me out?

Reactions: Legna Zeg

unknown_userr433436365

Networks and GFX Expert :)
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
One of the many things that i hate about the new channel designs is that: the maximum file size is 1MB, which is HALF the allowed custom thumbnail size!! I had a pretty cool channel design that was close to 2MB and i tried to put a new design on it and I CAN'T PUT MY OLD DESIGN UP AGAIN!!! Before the youtube channel change last year, i had an AWESOME design and i gradually went to more bland because of the unpersonal youtube design. Now, my channel is SOELY about being creative and following your dreams... now HOW am i going to do this with a bland, grey background?

Sincerely, waiting for the new youtube design 2013! (they make a new one every year it seems!)

Not at all 1MB is way more than enough its to stop people from filling their background with stock photos

Tyler Rand

My Mind is a Strange Place to Visit
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Hi there, so I see alot of people asking about channel backgrounds and if theirs is good, so i'm going to give you a few tips on what can make a good background, but remember there is no right or wrong answer :)

Match the Style of your videos: if you made comedy videos for example you might want to add some funny pictures or make it bright colours, to summarize, put things in it that represents your channel/videos to let people know what your channel is about.

Have Good Contrast Between Text and Colours: If you are putting your username in the background or you have some kind of message you want to get across about your channel, try have good contrast between both, for example the main colors of a background is black and grey, you might want to use something yellow to make it stand out, this way the focal point of the background is the message you are trying to get across, and this doesn't just apply to text, it applies to anything.

Keep to a Neat Layout: Try to keep things spaced out so that the background doesn't look messy, if you are struggling deciding what to put on it, decide which is most important and use that, don't add unnecessary text or images, additional information is good but keep to the main point and if you have space then think about the other things you could include.

Make it Original: Try to make your background as original as you can, it is a good idea to develop ideas from other peoples backgrounds but don't copy from them, make your own ideas :p

That's all I hope this has helped you in some way, some of you might disagree with me, that is fine, you might have a different opinion on this, like I said before there is no right or wrong answer, so get out there and be creative! :D

I've always thought that a background wasn't necessary. Your videos should be the #1 selling point. I feel like backgrounds can distract from the content that you're really trying to sell to the viewer. Some of my favorite channels don't have a background image.
-Tyler

Does anyone agree with this or am I alone twiddling my thumbs? I'll be twiddling my thumbs either way but still.

Brodie

YTTalk Shape Shifter
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director, Comedian, Designer
I've always thought that a background wasn't necessary. Your videos should be the #1 selling point. I feel like backgrounds can distract from the content that you're really trying to sell to the viewer. Some of my favorite channels don't have a background image.
-Tyler

Does anyone agree with this or am I alone twiddling my thumbs? I'll be twiddling my thumbs either way but still.
I would actually disagree, considering smosh, the most subscribed channel on youtube have an amazing background

Tipsy Tricks

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Also the DPI... make it around 300Dpi folks back grounds look like crap sometimes because the DPI is so low it becomes blurry once you upload it..
DPI only comes into play when you're printing an image, that's where a high dpi shines. You can use a DPI of 72 for your background, and it will look fine. With a smaller file size to boot :)

GirlGamerDax

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
Use PNG files instead of JPG files or others. It's really a HUGE difference.

Grant Casual

Future Famous Vlogger Without Big Hair
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger, Comedian

never mind, i HATE the new youtube design and wish i never said that, the day i send that out, they make a new design! smh! whatever that means!