Thoughts on an Outro or End Card?

Tac0cann0n

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I've created an end card for myself that I place at the end of my videos that has a spot for the previous video, as well as calls to action (like following social media, as well as subscribing). My question to you all is this:

Do you feel like having calls to action in the end card is the right thing to do? I personally don't like when YouTubers ask for liking and subscribing in the first part in the video (i.e: "Can we get 5,000 likes on the video?"), but have no real issue if it's at the end on something like an end card. However, that is personally just my own preference. What do you all think of this? Should the call to action be reserved for something like an end card or does it work better when the YouTuber themselves actually asks the audience for feedback.

The biggest thing that I want to avoid is seeming desperate to the viewers, so let me know what you all think about this.

Baylze

Overwatch YouTuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
There's a difference between transactions and calls to action.

"If we get 5,000 likes I'll release X video early!"
"If this video gets 10,000 views, I'll host X giveaway!"
...is one thing.

"Make sure to like the video if you enjoyed!"
"If you're new to the channel, consider subscription"
"Leave a comment telling me your thoughts!"
...is another!

Interacting with your viewers is one of the strongest methods of developing and maintaining a fanbase. Breaking the illusion that you're just a random human being behind a monitor, and actually engaging in meaningful discussion with your viewers is absolutely not a bad thing.

I agree that when people constantly beg for views, likes, subs, etc. - It's annoying. But using calls to action at the video isn't a problem. By the end of the video, the content has been viewed, and people can choose to leave behind the outro even hits.

Reactions: ImSoLugo

Tac0cann0n

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
There's a difference between transactions and calls to action.

"If we get 5,000 likes I'll release X video early!"
"If this video gets 10,000 views, I'll host X giveaway!"
...is one thing.

"Make sure to like the video if you enjoyed!"
"If you're new to the channel, consider subscription"
"Leave a comment telling me your thoughts!"
...is another!

Interacting with your viewers is one of the strongest methods of developing and maintaining a fanbase. Breaking the illusion that you're just a random human being behind a monitor, and actually engaging in meaningful discussion with your viewers is absolutely not a bad thing.

I agree that when people constantly beg for views, likes, subs, etc. - It's annoying. But using calls to action at the video isn't a problem. By the end of the video, the content has been viewed, and people can choose to leave behind the outro even hits.
Thanks for the input. I've been hesitant to directly address this topic to the viewers as I don't want to come off as begging or pushy.

Cherry Tung

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I always do call to action in my videos, along with a "thank you so much for watching" end note. After all the work I put in my videos, it hurts to not remind viewers that "liking" or "subscribing" is an option if they enjoyed. :p

Reactions: Tac0cann0n

CDOD

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I have done some call to action at the start of my video, don't think it was the smartest but i was new. However, having them at the end is completely fine as i spent over 4 hours editing my latest video and when someone just hits that thumbs up button, it makes it worth it.

Reactions: Tac0cann0n

Tac0cann0n

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Alright, cool. Thanks for the input guys!

Kyle Laughlin

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I love seeing end cards and to me it make your growth much more organic i.e. people that are actually going to come back to your channel, not just because you said to sub or like. With the way YT is promoting people it'd be great to have an end card leading to other videos of yours and asking for a like and sub. At that point it's honestly more of a request, seeing as they already made it through your whole video (which is hard enough to get new comers to do) so there's a much better chance they'll sub, like, or at least watch that next video you suggest.There's a huge difference between doing that and begging for people to like you and sub at the beginning of the video before they even know what you're about.

CDOD

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I love seeing end cards and to me it make your growth much more organic i.e. people that are actually going to come back to your channel, not just because you said to sub or like. With the way YT is promoting people it'd be great to have an end card leading to other videos of yours and asking for a like and sub. At that point it's honestly more of a request, seeing as they already made it through your whole video (which is hard enough to get new comers to do) so there's a much better chance they'll sub, like, or at least watch that next video you suggest.There's a huge difference between doing that and begging for people to like you and sub at the beginning of the video before they even know what you're about.
Dude i totally agree couldn't of said it any better

Reactions: Kyle Laughlin

Tac0cann0n

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I agree! That's what I try to do in my videos since I don't want to come off as begging. Thanks for the input!

Reactions: Kyle Laughlin

ProfessionalRik

Gaming Culture's Icon
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
By the middle of your YouTube career, you'll probably be doing all the things without flinching. End cards, Outtros, and calls to action. But I personally love endcards AND outros because it gives me this feel that the whole thing was organized, even if I know it wasn't. Just a nice little facade for my demographic. ;D