The Selfish Truth.

How easily do you subscribe to a new channel?

• Very easily, I like to sub for a while so I can view latest content before I make a choice.

Votes: 11 100.0%
  • Kinda sometimes. Depends on whether the person subs to me or not.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Give me your subs. I might consider checking you out if you're able to like my new video, twice.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Luigi Lottino

Not. Even. Scared.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hi everyone! SO firstly, this is NOT an attack on YouTubers or anyone on this forum. So calm yourselves :) I am more so posing a question that I feel all YouTubers (especially newbies like me) should constantly be thinking about.

One of the biggest attractions about YouTube (for me at least), is the community. I really love the interaction and how I can chat to people after seeing a video that they put effort into, for my enjoyment! It's disappointing tho, when I find people who are so absorbed in their own channel and getting "subs" that they seem to forget that there is actually a community.

So often I reach out to a new channel, I sub (because its the easiest way to follow a channel and truly gauge whether I really like them or not), I follow them on twitter and then I wait. I don't like to nag people, but eventually I start to realize that the person I'm trying to support has little to no interest in me or even saying thank you :/ I think its especially important to remember that as a small channel, we should not obsess over numbers of views and subs, but rather focus on reaching out and giving other people a chance.

Most small Youtubers are on a tight budget, so often it's easy to click away from the first video you see on their channel, but I feel as a fellow small Youtuber (just starting out) why not check multiple videos? When someone reaches out and subs, sub back and follow the channel for a while. You can always unsubscribe if you don't like their content, but don't condemn small channels to the gutters from watching the first 10 seconds of a single vid. :) I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are SO MANY great channels out there, but I feel like everyone takes, but wont give...unless it benefits them. Am I being to harsh? Does anyone else feel this way?

PseudoExon

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Well.....first hand its quite understandable to see some channels that do not have a clear goal as to where they want they channel to go but just want to be the next PewDiePie. So pay them folks no mind. That is their build up that is their way of trying to be successful. THey can run their channel as they so wish.

Secondly this more as to do with the main part of your post, is that mindful as to subbing these channels and hoping they come back with you as this kind of borderline reaches the cheap "sub for sub" tactic that people are trying to pull. If there is a channel you genuinely enjoy or you like the person's personality by how they make their content then by all means sub them and come back.
Best bet in most scenarios is get to know a creator first before subbing and following them on media as a hopes for them to follow you back by which case no one has that right to entitlement.

You are right as in this day in age people are so impatient as to people are quick in taking but reluctant to give back its part of our future generation. Sad but true.

Overall keep reaching out to people, YT is a very grinding process as there are good parts and bad parts to being a YTer (especially if you are starting, growing is one of the bad parts.) There is no secret to actually making it big on YT. You eventually find people who will like your stuff as well as follow people closely if you really truly like what they put out. You do not need to always follow every single small creator. Evaluate develop a relationship and then follow and support one another content.

FurryNomNoms

Deadpan Overlord
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I don't even like thinking about subs. When it grows it's nice, but when it's stagnant or I lose a sub it's awful. It's like having bipolar disorder. Those poll choices are very loaded btw. Personally I don't like subbing until after I've seen a couple videos and want to see their videos when new ones come out.

Reactions: BillyVlogsTV

Luigi Lottino

Not. Even. Scared.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hey guys thanks for the reply!!
Well.....first hand its quite understandable to see some channels that do not have a clear goal as to where they want they channel to go but just want to be the next PewDiePie. So pay them folks no mind. That is their build up that is their way of trying to be successful. THey can run their channel as they so wish.

Secondly this more as to do with the main part of your post, is that mindful as to subbing these channels and hoping they come back with you as this kind of borderline reaches the cheap "sub for sub" tactic that people are trying to pull. If there is a channel you genuinely enjoy or you like the person's personality by how they make their content then by all means sub them and come back.
Best bet in most scenarios is get to know a creator first before subbing and following them on media as a hopes for them to follow you back by which case no one has that right to entitlement.

You are right as in this day in age people are so impatient as to people are quick in taking but reluctant to give back its part of our future generation. Sad but true.

Overall keep reaching out to people, YT is a very grinding process as there are good parts and bad parts to being a YTer (especially if you are starting, growing is one of the bad parts.) There is no secret to actually making it big on YT. You eventually find people who will like your stuff as well as follow people closely if you really truly like what they put out. You do not need to always follow every single small creator. Evaluate develop a relationship and then follow and support one another content.

Thanks so much for the reply!! Yeah I guess the people i am raging about a little are the "next pewdiepie" peeps. It is so disappointing when I come across someone who starts off nice and once a relationship is set, and I decide to follow this person and make an active effort to help by commenting/liking etc. then they disappear. I totally agree with you that as a starting channel one tends to deal with this problem a TON!! and it is unavoidable.

As for the sub for sub. I didnt explain that very well, as I am not into that little trend. I prefer quality over quantity lol. I merely meant that I do tend to subscribe easily as I find it the easiest way to evaluate a channel over time. It is easy to lose a potential channel if its not under your nose a lot in the beginning :)

Ill add that my previous channel was a gaming channel. and it is something I am very passionate about!! But I had this problem SO much during the few months I was doing those videos.

Thanks again for the great reply!! This is exactly why I posted this!! I wanted to provoke some good conversation and varied opinion!! Great stuff :)[DOUBLEPOST=1444016728,1444016417][/DOUBLEPOST]H
I don't even like thinking about subs. When it grows it's nice, but when it's stagnant or I lose a sub it's awful. It's like having bipolar disorder. Those poll choices are very loaded btw. Personally I don't like subbing until after I've seen a couple videos and want to see their videos when new ones come out.
Hello again Furry NomNoms (seriously love your name) I've been calling my puppy that every time i feed him! I have to agree with you on your message too! I also prefer watching multiple videos on a new channel before I commit. all I meant (and I'm sorry if it was a little unclear, my bad) Is that I tend to sub easily so that I dont have to struggle finding the channel every time. its just so easy to loose small channels one stumbles upon sometimes :) Sorry about the poll. Honestly...Its my first time posting and I saw we could make polls and I totally did it because like first times and hahahaha. I mean, Of course its loaded hahaha the more I read it the more I'm like....dude your poll is loaded. But thanks so much for the reply! You are super active on this forum! Thanks for that it's much appreciated :)

Reactions: FurryNomNoms

Kaleido

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've talked about this in similar threads, but I like to binge-watch channels. I usually don't sub, but I'll watch every video (unless there's hundreds). If in a few days/weeks I catch myself wondering what's on that channel, that's when I'll go seek it out and actually sub and actively start watching the content. So it has to both entertain me across multiple videos as well as make me want more later.

I consume content very differently than most people, though, so I wouldn't take anything I'm saying as usable information (unless you specifically wanted me only to sub to your channel lol)

Reactions: Luigi Lottino

mercmonster

Asia's Redheaded Step-Child
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I don't subscribe to too many channels, unless I really enjoy what they do - by "what they do", it may not necessarily be their content I'm in love with, but just that I enjoy their personality, passion, I've gotten to know them, etc. For example, I'm subscribed to @ZombieBrain, whose content I really enjoy, but moreso, I just think he's a great guy, and I love how hard he works at his channel. I mention him because he's one of the only gaming channels I'm subscribed to, just because I don't generally watch gaming videos - so this is an example of what I mean.

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
The youtube scene has really changed and sol has attitudes. Before money was involved youtube was full of random stuff, and my first rubbish videos got positive comments. The youtube community was supportive and enjoyed a good laugh. Sub 4 sub wasn't much of a thing and people took the time to write on your page feed, message you personally, and makes video responses when they got inspired.

Now it feels so much different.
Quite a lot of creators are selfish, they are in it to make it big, they want your subscription/engagement and once that happens they couldn't care less after that.
Viewers have also changed thanks to the shift, they can be harsh, critical, not watching the full video if its quality isn't perfect. Going as far as trolling and harassing YTbers they don't like.

When I uploaded my daft MS paint windows movie maker videos back in 06+ I got some really lovely comments.

If I uploaded them now just the way they are, I would probably get an overwhelmingly negative reaction.

Thanks to the money, people expect greater quality from every creator, and its really hard to start.

I have to admit the money is great, the subs and views are great, but the community is not the same. Don't get me wrong there are some great comments and fans, but if it wasn't for those first people on my bad videos that gave me encouragement. I might have not continued.

I try to find new youtubers and I can look over the quality. Especially if they are putting out content they enjoy doing, we all started at nothing.

Dazb4t

Trainee You Tube Extrodinaire.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Ranter, Reviewer, Other
Wel
The youtube scene has really changed and sol has attitudes. Before money was involved youtube was full of random stuff, and my first rubbish videos got positive comments. The youtube community was supportive and enjoyed a good laugh. Sub 4 sub wasn't much of a thing and people took the time to write on your page feed, message you personally, and makes video responses when they got inspired.

Now it feels so much different.
Quite a lot of creators are selfish, they are in it to make it big, they want your subscription/engagement and once that happens they couldn't care less after that.
Viewers have also changed thanks to the shift, they can be harsh, critical, not watching the full video if its quality isn't perfect. Going as far as trolling and harassing YTbers they don't like.

When I uploaded my daft MS paint windows movie maker videos back in 06+ I got some really lovely comments.

If I uploaded them now just the way they are, I would probably get an overwhelmingly negative reaction.

Thanks to the money, people expect greater quality from every creator, and its really hard to start.

I have to admit the money is great, the subs and views are great, but the community is not the same. Don't get me wrong there are some great comments and fans, but if it wasn't for those first people on my bad videos that gave me encouragement. I might have not continued.

I try to find new youtubers and I can look over the quality. Especially if they are putting out content they enjoy doing, we all started at nothing.
Well said and I applaud you I am also a new you tuber, whilst the money eventually can be nice it should not be the first thing in a you tubers mind. Content is key, making funny and entertaining and informed videos is more important I believe, and it is with that how you end up getting a loyal fan base.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
None of the above fits for me.
I only subscribe to someone if I like their content a lot. Which isn't very often.

I don't care if they subscribe to me or not.
I agree, with this. I watch people's content if I like their content not because I feel pity for them or I feel they deserve a break.

OP

If someone subs to me, then that means they wanted to sub to me. Why should I sub back? Does your local pizza restaurant buy something from you or do you a favour every time you buy a pizza from them?!

Likewise, when I watch, like, comment and sometimes sub to other channels, I do it with no strings attached - I don't want or expect anything in return.

What you're describing is a dressed up form of sub4sub. I know you'll reply and say it's not but really it is. You should want viewers and subs who like your content, not because they have pity for you and are "doing you a favour"

These threads come up so often on here and it's usually because new channels get frustrated with the advice of "Create good content and you will get subs." - But really that is the only advice that will create sustainable growth for a channel.