How easily do you subscribe to a new channel?

• Very easily, I like to sub for a while so I can view latest content before I make a choice.

Votes: 11 100.0%
  • Kinda sometimes. Depends on whether the person subs to me or not.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Give me your subs. I might consider checking you out if you're able to like my new video, twice.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I've talked about this in similar threads, but I like to binge-watch channels. I usually don't sub, but I'll watch every video (unless there's hundreds). If in a few days/weeks I catch myself wondering what's on that channel, that's when I'll go seek it out and actually sub and actively start watching the content. So it has to both entertain me across multiple videos as well as make me want more later.

I consume content very differently than most people, though, so I wouldn't take anything I'm saying as usable information (unless you specifically wanted me only to sub to your channel lol)

Hey!! Thanks for the reply! Really appreciate it! Yeah I guess that approach works too! I also do that if I've found a channel that's grabbed my attention. Many times I'll go though several videos and come back alter. I guess I automatically subscribe because to me it's not much of a deal whether I sub or not. Because I can always unsubscribe if I end up not enjoying the content later on. Reading many of the other comments on this thread also got me thinking about my way of doing things though, maybe I am to lax when it comes to subscribing? Either way I don't exactly have any serious content on my channel yet so actively gaining a sub from, let's say, you for example wasn't on the agenda :) I am more interested in your opinion though! so thank you for the reply!! I'm sure I will see you a load more on this forum!![DOUBLEPOST=1444044462,1444044150][/DOUBLEPOST]
I don't subscribe to too many channels, unless I really enjoy what they do - by "what they do", it may not necessarily be their content I'm in love with, but just that I enjoy their personality, passion, I've gotten to know them, etc. For example, I'm subscribed to @ZombieBrain, whose content I really enjoy, but moreso, I just think he's a great guy, and I love how hard he works at his channel. I mention him because he's one of the only gaming channels I'm subscribed to, just because I don't generally watch gaming videos - so this is an example of what I mean.

Hey Mercmonster! Thank you for replying :) so what you said really stood out to me in the sense that you focus a lot on the person not only content. I like that and I feel it ties into what was trying to say concerning the community development within youtube. Do you have any tips on how to strengthen relationships on other social media like Twitter for example? I find that its really hard to communicate with people sometimes. the conversation never seems to go further than "thanks for the follow" lol. Thanks again for replying :)[DOUBLEPOST=1444045262][/DOUBLEPOST]
The youtube scene has really changed and sol has attitudes. Before money was involved youtube was full of random stuff, and my first rubbish videos got positive comments. The youtube community was supportive and enjoyed a good laugh. Sub 4 sub wasn't much of a thing and people took the time to write on your page feed, message you personally, and makes video responses when they got inspired.

Now it feels so much different.
Quite a lot of creators are selfish, they are in it to make it big, they want your subscription/engagement and once that happens they couldn't care less after that.
Viewers have also changed thanks to the shift, they can be harsh, critical, not watching the full video if its quality isn't perfect. Going as far as trolling and harassing YTbers they don't like.

When I uploaded my daft MS paint windows movie maker videos back in 06+ I got some really lovely comments.

If I uploaded them now just the way they are, I would probably get an overwhelmingly negative reaction.

Thanks to the money, people expect greater quality from every creator, and its really hard to start.

I have to admit the money is great, the subs and views are great, but the community is not the same. Don't get me wrong there are some great comments and fans, but if it wasn't for those first people on my bad videos that gave me encouragement. I might have not continued.

I try to find new youtubers and I can look over the quality. Especially if they are putting out content they enjoy doing, we all started at nothing.

Thank you so much for this reply!!! You basically said what I sucked at saying in my first message. I've been using youtube for a long while, and just because I've only recently decided to start creating content, I (as I am sure most) have surely seen the change in creators and viewers alike.
I do tend to subscribe to channel fairly easy tho, not because I feel bad for them or because I expect a sub back, but because I want to give the person starting out a chance. and a good chance at that. Let's use the YTtalk forum as an example.
There is basic, yet deliberate etiquette on this forum where new creators are welcomed with open arms, and everyone treats everyone with respect. Now if only this attitude was still common on youtube itself!! wouldn't that be a sight for sore eyes!!

Thank you again for the reply I really appreciate your feedback :)[DOUBLEPOST=1444045471][/DOUBLEPOST]
None of the above fits for me.
I only subscribe to someone if I like their content a lot. Which isn't very often.

I don't care if they subscribe to me or not.

Hi TommyTLG! Thank you for your input.

eventually I start to realize that the person I'm trying to support has little to no interest in me or even saying thank you :/
Just for clarification, are you waiting for a 'thank you' after you "merely" subbed or followed? I'm a tiny channel and I would purposefully not contact people unless they contact me first! It's like, if someone came into my store I wouldn't immediately run up to them and say HI HOW CAN I HELP YOU?! :D Mabye they just wanna browse ;)

Thank you so much for this reply!!! You basically said what I sucked at saying in my first message. I've been using youtube for a long while, and just because I've only recently decided to start creating content, I (as I am sure most) have surely seen the change in creators and viewers alike.
I do tend to subscribe to channel fairly easy tho, not because I feel bad for them or because I expect a sub back, but because I want to give the person starting out a chance. and a good chance at that. Let's use the YTtalk forum as an example.
There is basic, yet deliberate etiquette on this forum where new creators are welcomed with open arms, and everyone treats everyone with respect. Now if only this attitude was still common on youtube itself!! wouldn't that be a sight for sore eyes!!

Thank you again for the reply I really appreciate your feedback :)
oh you're welcome :)
i think people are getting the wrong idea from your post as sometimes sub4sub channels will sub to someone, wait for a response, and if they dont get a sub back they will unsub later on,
lets keep the community on youtube alive :)

I agree, with this. I watch people's content if I like their content not because I feel pity for them or I feel they deserve a break.

OP

If someone subs to me, then that means they wanted to sub to me. Why should I sub back? Does your local pizza restaurant buy something from you or do you a favour every time you buy a pizza from them?!

Likewise, when I watch, like, comment and sometimes sub to other channels, I do it with no strings attached - I don't want or expect anything in return.

What you're describing is a dressed up form of sub4sub. I know you'll reply and say it's not but really it is. You should want viewers and subs who like your content, not because they have pity for you and are "doing you a favour"

These threads come up so often on here and it's usually because new channels get frustrated with the advice of "Create good content and you will get subs." - But really that is the only advice that will create sustainable growth for a channel.

Hello! Thanks for the reply! Well, as I did work as a pizza delivery guy for a while, I'll have to say: upon arriving at many humble homes (at all sorts of unreasonable hours AND always on time I might add) Customers still had me do the weirdest s**t even after they bought the damn pizza's :) a few examples are: I scaled a 10 foot fence as the gate was "jammed", I was forced to leave the premises at a timely pace....as the dog got out on accident and thus tried to eat me, and I once climbed through a dodgy window to get into the main courtyard (which wasn't to bad as there was a pool party)

I will have do kindly disagree with you on one thing though. Although I totally respect your (and I'm sure many creators) ways of doing things, I do think that sometimes, showing interest where there is very little, and giving a nudge in a positive direction is not a bad thing. In fact I may go so far as to call you a hypocrite as you are an active member on YTtalks and thus show A LOT of positive encouragement to new members :) I have no doubt that you are one of the top active members on this site!

I think the main point to take from this is not that I have described a "dressed up sub4sub" strategy (which I really can believe is a topic that pops up a lot on this forum), but rather that there are many creators out there that are harsh and selfish. :) The main concept here is how sad it is that youtube has become a dirty game, and yet there are so many great forums where many of those same "dirty" creators come on and are the nicest people ever. I think its important that new creators try to be open to this and keep in mind when viewing new channels that being nice and supportive can go a long way for both parties :) I don't, for the record support sub4sub. But of course you knew I'd say that right? What you may have not known though (strictly for the record of course lol) is that my channel barely has any content...I've only just started and as I work abroad, I started making videos for my friends and family back home :) I found YTtalks and thought I could learn a few things from people with experience.

Anyway, thanks again for the reply. I appreciate your input! You, as well as many other contributors have given me a great deal to think about :) Much appreciated!![DOUBLEPOST=1444048205,1444047877][/DOUBLEPOST]
Just for clarification, are you waiting for a 'thank you' after you "merely" subbed or followed? I'm a tiny channel and I would purposefully not contact people unless they contact me first! It's like, if someone came into my store I wouldn't immediately run up to them and say HI HOW CAN I HELP YOU?! :D Mabye they just wanna browse ;)
LOL!!! Browsing is good :) Don't worry your smile is thank you enough :)))

Hello! Thanks for the reply! Well, as I did work as a pizza delivery guy for a while, I'll have to say: upon arriving at many humble homes (at all sorts of unreasonable hours AND always on time I might add) Customers still had me do the weirdest s**t even after they bought the damn pizza's :) a few examples are: I scaled a 10 foot fence as the gate was "jammed", I was forced to leave the premises at a timely pace....as the dog got out on accident and thus tried to eat me, and I once climbed through a dodgy window to get into the main courtyard (which wasn't to bad as there was a pool party)

You missed my point about the pizza shop analogy. The point I was making was that people buy pizzas from pizza shops because they are "in the market" for pizzas. It's all about who is your target market? Hint: 99% of the time it is not people that you have subbed to.

Reading between the lines of your post, your marketing strategy is to sub to loads of people and then "reach out" to them by leaving them a comment and then getting p****d off when they don't sub back. That is a huge waste of time and energy. It's also extremely rude to the channel owner that you're commenting to because you're just commenting to get something for yourself. That is selfish.

Most of the active viewers who use YT don't even make videos. They are the people you want coming to your channel. Making awesome content is how you attract them, not subbing to other creators and "reaching out" to them.

In fact I may go so far as to call you a hypocrite as you are an active member on YTtalks and thus show A LOT of positive encouragement to new members

Hypocrite? I'd be a hypocrite if I was taking part in this community and giving out advice and expecting something in return like subs or views or something. But if you glance down to my signature, you will see that I don't have a video in my signature. In fact, I don't even have a link to my channel.

there are many creators out there that are harsh and selfish.

lol at harsh and selfish - You are totally misunderstanding the concept of a channel having a target audience.

Sarah makes videos about fishing. John makes comedy videos.

Sarah watches John's videos, finds them funny and subs. According to you, John is now supposed to check out Sarah's fishing videos, subscribe, comment like and share. Why should he? Maybe he doesn't like fishing? Maybe he doesn't like Sarah. Maybe he just doesn't have the time. Does that make John selfish? No, but according to you it does. I'm sure John is subbed to other channels he is interested in (aviation, music) and I bet he doesn't think those aviation channels are selfish if they don't sub back to him.

And does Sarah really want John to sub to her anyway? If I were Sarah, my answer would definitely be a big no. I don't want sympathy subs.

In your vision of YouTube, everybody should subscribe to everybody. I'm sorry but that's ridiculous.

Last edited:
[DOUBLEPOST=1444044462,1444044150][/DOUBLEPOST]

Hey Mercmonster! Thank you for replying :) so what you said really stood out to me in the sense that you focus a lot on the person not only content. I like that and I feel it ties into what was trying to say concerning the community development within youtube. Do you have any tips on how to strengthen relationships on other social media like Twitter for example? I find that its really hard to communicate with people sometimes. the conversation never seems to go further than "thanks for the follow" lol. Thanks again for replying :)

Hey Luigi! Well YTtalk is, right off the bat, a great community to be a part of, so keep posting here, and try to make some friends and those will hopefully translate off-site too! Follow other YTtalkers on Twitter, and even if all they say at first is "thanks for the follow", keep up with what they do (assuming you enjoy their stuff), and reply to their tweets. If they ask some questions, reply to them. If they post a new video, check it out, comment on both YouTube and to the tweet, etc. Just be friendly, and hopefully a relationship develops! Like "in real life", not all attempts at a friendship may pan out, but some will! :)

If I come across a channel that looks interesting I'll add a couple of their videos to my Watch Later list. If I like what I see, I subscribe. I don't have much patience for people expecting me to subscribe to them in return of them subscribing to me, they go through the same process as anyone else.

The bigger you get the less personal you become. Why? Because you still have the same ammount of time, but more people need attention. At times I can't keep up with comments, and believe me, I try to comment on everyone's comment.

As far are subscribing, I generally only subscribe when I see a video, and the content just resonates with me. It doesn't matter if you are a big or small YouTuber, content is key with me.

The youtube scene has really changed and sol has attitudes. Before money was involved youtube was full of random stuff, and my first rubbish videos got positive comments. The youtube community was supportive and enjoyed a good laugh. Sub 4 sub wasn't much of a thing and people took the time to write on your page feed, message you personally, and makes video responses when they got inspired.

Now it feels so much different.
Quite a lot of creators are selfish, they are in it to make it big, they want your subscription/engagement and once that happens they couldn't care less after that.
Viewers have also changed thanks to the shift, they can be harsh, critical, not watching the full video if its quality isn't perfect. Going as far as trolling and harassing YTbers they don't like.

When I uploaded my daft MS paint windows movie maker videos back in 06+ I got some really lovely comments.

If I uploaded them now just the way they are, I would probably get an overwhelmingly negative reaction.

Thanks to the money, people expect greater quality from every creator, and its really hard to start.

I have to admit the money is great, the subs and views are great, but the community is not the same. Don't get me wrong there are some great comments and fans, but if it wasn't for those first people on my bad videos that gave me encouragement. I might have not continued.

I try to find new youtubers and I can look over the quality. Especially if they are putting out content they enjoy doing, we all started at nothing.
People now are truly not nice at all for the most part. Even with my crappy videos people use to say words of encourgement and what to fix. Now its your so crappy why do you do this and you just plain sux.

You missed my point about the pizza shop analogy. The point I was making was that people buy pizzas from pizza shops because they are "in the market" for pizzas. It's all about who is your target market? Hint: 99% of the time it is not people that you have subbed to.

Reading between the lines of your post, your marketing strategy is to sub to loads of people and then "reach out" to them by leaving them a comment and then getting p****d off when they don't sub back. That is a huge waste of time and energy. It's also extremely rude to the channel owner that you're commenting to because you're just commenting to get something for yourself. That is selfish.

Most of the active viewers who use YT don't even make videos. They are the people you want coming to your channel. Making awesome content is how you attract them, not subbing to other creators and "reaching out" to them.

Hypocrite? I'd be a hypocrite if I was taking part in this community and giving out advice and expecting something in return like subs or views or something. But if you glance down to my signature, you will see that I don't have a video in my signature. In fact, I don't even have a link to my channel.

lol at harsh and selfish - You are totally misunderstanding the concept of a channel having a target audience.

Sarah makes videos about fishing. John makes comedy videos.

Sarah watches John's videos, finds them funny and subs. According to you, John is now supposed to check out Sarah's fishing videos, subscribe, comment like and share. Why should he? Maybe he doesn't like fishing? Maybe he doesn't like Sarah. Maybe he just doesn't have the time. Does that make John selfish? No, but according to you it does. I'm sure John is subbed to other channels he is interested in (aviation, music) and I bet he doesn't think those aviation channels are selfish if they don't sub back to him.

And does Sarah really want John to sub to her anyway? If I were Sarah, my answer would definitely be a big no. I don't want sympathy subs.

In your vision of YouTube, everybody should subscribe to everybody. I'm sorry but that's ridiculous.

I understand what you are saying, and I agree with you. I think my initial post is giving people the wrong idea. I never thought that sub4sub was such a taboo topic on this forum, so I am sorry if I hurt your feelings. I was not talking about that and don't condone it which I've mentioned, and yet you repeatedly accuse me of doing this? Dude c'mon.

I agree with you in the fact that one should subscribe to a channel if you genuinely want to. There is absolutely no reason to sub otherwise. The point I was trying to make was more so about how the community on youtube has become a little rough compare to when things first started. (my apologizes if I didn't make that clear)

I actually have no marketing strategy and my intentions for this post was to learn and get to know some people. I feel like my post has been ripped apart, and the pieces placed together again to form the words sub4sub lol!! BUT going back and reading what I wrote, I guess my post wasn't thought out properly. I never realized that that's what it sounds like because I simply didn't think about it!

Anyway thanks for the reply. Have a good day :)

Back