That awkward moment when...

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
When you upload a video and someones dub of it gets more views...

welp time to go spanish.jpg
I mean, im not really mad, because said person did not monetise the video. they also did a very good job at dubbing it, also replacing my text with the spanish version. But still.... I wish youtube had a system where we could put a dub as an option on the original video, and even share a little monetisation with the team that did the dub. (so you wouldn't see the video on my channel, but when you click language for the subs at the bottom you could watch a dubbed version too. I wonder if that is possible?)

whats your opinion on dubs? do you think youtube should implement a feature to link them with the original creator, and give them an option to share a profit?

I still think they should have asked me first to be honest though.... <_< ... >_>

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
If I were you, I'd do a copyright claim. They're stealing your content so their channel can grow.
I'd be flagging those videos for copyright infringement all day long. That's hours of your work and he's driving traffic to HIS channel and monetizing other videos on his channel.
really? I would have thought this would constitute transformative work?
will i suffer a consequence of flagging if youtube considers it transformative?

Kate's Adventures

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
That would be really good if they could do different dubbing options. My friend from Germany loves a particular creator but she only uploads in German. She says so many times that she'd love to contact her and ask if she can add subtitles / dub it for her (this was before they added in the option to translate a video on behalf of someone else).
It is pretty rotten that they haven't asked you in advance for your permission, maybe if you don't want to file a copyright notice you could ask them first if you could have their version of the video for your channel and credit them as the person who provided the translations? That way they're still appreciated for their work and have an opportunity for their channel to grow.

Reactions: Lightsen

GamersName

String_not_found
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Do any of them at least have a reference to your original video/channel? Because as others said you are losing potential traffic without any kind of gain for your hard work to make animation and i believe it takes not 2 minutes to come up with something like this. You won't suffer anything for flagging them 100%

Reactions: Lightsen and Crown

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
really? I would have thought this would constitute transformative work?
will i suffer a consequence of flagging if youtube considers it transformative?
He's not transforming the animation (video) part at all. He's taken the whole thing and reuploaded it with a different commentary. It probably takes him 1 hour of work (at the very most) per video to do the dub. How many hours of work did you do in comparison? :) They're just leeching off your hard work. - It's probably the easiest copyright claims ever for YouTube to process.

If it were me, I'd be flagging them all and then paying a studio to dub the videos into Spanish, French, etc (with full copyright passing to you) and creating separate channels per language.

Switchbox

Give me your food
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator, Other
I hate dubs.
Whenever I take the cruise ship to Germany, I cannot watch the TV because all of the TV-shows are dubbed to german...
I mean... It's fine with cartoons, but not with actual human beings in it :p

It just looks and sounds weird.

Reactions: Lightsen

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Bro does this happen a lot to your videos??
not a ton, the only other video I recall having a lot of this was this one:
reuploads.jpg
which is funny, cause its a copyrighted song (literally "paint it black" by the rolling stones) I had uploaded this so long ago(while i was still in school), it was well before youtube monetised videos, so they allowed me to keep it up, and monetised it 100% to go towards the rolling stones, which I'm fine with. I'm happy they let me keep the video up.

I need to see if i can pay someone in future to write subs for all my videos in spanish and russian (now that youtube lets you do this!), as they seem to be the two that people want.

Do any of them at least have a reference to your original video/channel? Because as others said you are losing potential traffic without any kind of gain for your hard work to make animation and i believe it takes not 2 minutes to come up with something like this. You won't suffer anything for flagging them 100%
its usually written at the bottom:
Original video: [LINK][DOUBLEPOST=1454682712,1454682257][/DOUBLEPOST]
He's not transforming the animation (video) part at all. He's taken the whole thing and reuploaded it with a different commentary. It probably takes him 1 hour of work (at the very most) per video to do the dub. How many hours of work did you do in comparison? :) They're just leeching off your hard work. - It's probably the easiest copyright claims ever for YouTube to process.

If it were me, I'd be flagging them all and then paying a studio to dub the videos into Spanish, French, etc (with full copyright passing to you) and creating separate channels per language.
It's true, I don't think I'm large enough to afford anything like that, or to create seperate channels, but I would look to maybe getting someone that could submit subtitles for me for some money. At least for now.

Reactions: Switchbox