Text or No Text, that is the question.

AdmUp

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Regarding thumbnails. Do you think it's best to have text over them or just leave them as an image.

Most of the time I just add the same words that are in the video title or a small quote.
But sometimes when I'm editing, they just look more eye catching.

Thing is, I'm planning on having different series's on my channel so text would be an easy way to differentiate the different types of video..

Flicking through Trending or my Subscriptions, they either have big bold text or non at all.

What do you peeps think is the most intriguing / eye catching?
Thanks!

Last edited:

Lizzeelive

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Big Bold Text is definitely the way to go!

Reactions: AdmUp

Brandon

VISUAL.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I stopped using text :) I just try to create visually appealing thumbnails. Currently writing a guide on that..

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
I prefer text. You can add other info that you can't in the title bar. Take a look at the thumbnail on my signature for how I do it. Don't have to watch the video

AdmUp

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I stopped using text :) I just try to create visually appealing thumbnails. Currently writing a guide on that..
That's kind of what I was wanting to do. It'll add to the work load but hopefully worth it. Thanks![DOUBLEPOST=1489354236,1489354169][/DOUBLEPOST]
To me it depends on the video. Sometimes it's better for a thumbnail to speak for itself, other times text.
My OCD wants everything to look the same :( but I agree.. that will probably be the logical thing to do. thanks!

xxheathermarie

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
That's kind of what I was wanting to do. It'll add to the work load but hopefully worth it. Thanks![DOUBLEPOST=1489354236,1489354169][/DOUBLEPOST]

My OCD wants everything to look the same :( but I agree.. that will probably be the logical thing to do. thanks!
I use similar techniques. Like boarders etc.

Baylze

Overwatch YouTuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Yeah text here too. Two key words that describe the content of the video for me, usually.

TechSpotJosh

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Regarding thumbnails. Do you think it's best to have text over them or just leave them as an image.

Most of the time I just add the same words that are in the video title or a small quote.
But sometimes when I'm editing, they just look more eye catching.

Thing is, I'm planning on having different series's on my channel so text would be an easy way to differentiate the different types of video..

Flicking through Trending or my Subscriptions, they either have big bold text or non at all.

What do you peeps think is the most intriguing / eye catching?
Thanks!
I honestly think it depends on the kind of video you are doing. For my first three videos I had no text but felt it necessary to add text to my newest video as I thought it needed more context.

Boris Qs

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
To me it depends on the video. Sometimes it's better for a thumbnail to speak for itself, other times text.
When using text make sure to use the focus keyword or phrase that is 2 to 3 words. If you use an image, make sure not to cover it up with bold text. Use a thin, flat text font that will help with the background image to tell viewers what is beyond the thumbnail. Hope that was helpful