Starter camera for inside static video shooting.

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Canon 2000D is also called Canon Rebel T7i in some parts of the world correct? if yes then take a look at this 1080p test
btw a6300 will look even better when recording at 4K
If we are going to be shooting in a well lit room, is buying a prime lens going to make a noticable difference compared to the kit one
kit lens will be fine
what accounts most to making image look crisp
4K vs 1080p would make a huge difference where as prime vs kit lens differences will be hard to notice in a well lit room

Magic Pete

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Hi Weeder,
You mention that your needs are for VIDEO but so far as I can see, all the suggestions given are for a DSLR camera. Most of these in the lower price range are basically STILL cameras with the ability to do video thrown in. You mention the Canon 200D and looking at the specs I note that it doesn’t have a tilt screen. You would find this most frustrating after a while.

Why don’t you consider a proper CAMCORDER? Camcorders are VIDEO cameras - with the ability to take still shots also. All of these will have the standard viewing screen adjustable to many angles. An input for an external mic should be considered essential, also a headphone socket is desirable but this does put the price up somewhat. Do a web search for camcorders with a mic input and you might find that the prices are lower than many DSLRs. Consider a S/H model which, for your budget and needs, would enable you to get one with better video specs. Never mind all the fancy advanced facilities offered on DSLRs few of which you would ever need.

Qwikstreet

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
What are people's opinions on some of the budget generic cameras that you can find on Amazon for under $200? I've seen some "4k" models for $140. Didn't know if this would be a decent starter just to play around with and figure out what is important to me in a camera. Or, is it just throwing away $100 bucks on a piece of junk.

Qwikstreet

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
A Samsung S9. I kind of figured it would come down to use my camera and save up for a nice camera when I'm ready to take it to the next level. I just need to get a decent mic to hook to it and get my kids to film using the rear camera.

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Samsung S9
S9 should be a very capable camera, I started videography/YouTubing with Samsung S7 ( vids still on the channel lol :cold: )
use it & try different fps/resolutions see which ones you prefer to edit I find 1080 60fps easiest to edit but it depends on the topic/style of video
I have s10 now using it to record voice for gear reviews (literally using in-camera mic)

Weeder

Reaction score
if crisp/detailed is a priority definitely go with 4k resolution, personnaly I dont lilke it due to being harder to edit & taking more HDD space thus rarely use it atm
if you dont plan on slow motion then can pick 30 or 24fps to lower HDD space, have easier editing & better light sensitivity(less noise in low light)
lens & camera used is definitely a factor, but I would start with whatever is around like newer model cellphone (thats what I did)
older Sony a6300 a6500 & newer a6100 a6400 a6600 captures 6k video & shrinks it on the fly into 4k 24fps file which looks extra crisp & vibrant compared to just 4k
I tried a 1080p test where some of the footage was 4K downscaled (shrunk) to 1080p, there is a difference but it's not enough for me to bother with
yoooman