Starter camera for inside static video shooting.

Weeder

Reaction score
Hi,

I'll start off by saying I'm a newbie in this subject. I know a thing or two about cameras but that's about it. My friends and I are going to be shooting some videos on youtube, as stated above in the topic we will be shooting inside, mostly static frames. Provided that we get some proper lighting equipment, what would be a camera that you would recomend for about 300$ to get best quality for the price. I hope that stating the purpose of the camera (static shooting, inside) kind of helps to recomend something within this price range.

Thanks.

Oh and i think I should add that we would like to include 5-8 people in a frame, if it changes anything.

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hi, use cellphone? especially if one of you have a newer phone, can spend rest $ for good microphone lights/decor etc....
lots of new phones come with a wide lens so make sure it is selected when recording, I have galaxy s10 edge & its wide lens is very wide lol + it has 3.5mm mic port

Weeder

Reaction score
Hi, use cellphone? especially if one of you have a newer phone, can spend rest $ for good microphone lights/decor etc....
lots of new phones come with a wide lens so make sure it is selected when recording, I have galaxy s10 edge & its wide lens is very wide lol + it has 3.5mm mic port
We have a pretty good channel idea so we would like to start big and make it look as professional as we can, we divided our budget to have the money for mics etc.
I'm not sure a cellphone is going to cut it.

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I'm not sure a cellphone is going to cut it.
wish I knew more about different cameras from different brands considering $300 budget :(
Sony a6300 looks awesome when shooting 24fps 4k, especially paired with Sigma 16 f1.4 wide prime lens
It has mic port, this is the camera I bought used a while back for school & general experimentation with 4k & audio, it doesn't have any stabilization but you did mention static indoor video capture
both items are way above your budget, but getting something like used Sony a6000 with kit lens or other similarly priced camera is unlikely to produce better results vs a modern 4k cellphone footage, I could be mistaking due to lack of expertise in overall camera models/specs/prices so hopefully some others will pitch in here

Weeder

Reaction score
wish I knew more about different cameras from different brands considering $300 budget :(
Sony a6300 looks awesome when shooting 24fps 4k, especially paired with Sigma 16 f1.4 wide prime lens
It has mic port, this is the camera I bought used a while back for school & general experimentation with 4k & audio, it doesn't have any stabilization but you did mention static indoor video capture
both items are way above your budget, but getting something like used Sony a6000 with kit lens or other similarly priced camera is unlikely to produce better results vs a modern 4k cellphone footage, I could be mistaking due to lack of expertise in overall camera models/specs/prices so hopefully some others will pitch in here
Yeah they are above our budget but nevertheless i'll keep them in mind, Thanks : )

Weeder

Reaction score
Hey, I checked out your channel and damnnnn you seem like you really know your way around with video cameras. I'm really green in this subject, tho I'm trying to understand it better. Would you mind answering a few more of my questions ?

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I'm really green in this subject
I feel yellow, but far from orange, and forget RED lol, lots of learning for years to come, both of us, go ahead & ask, if it's urgent can ask under video of interest I keep an eye on YouTube often unlike here, awesome forum though plenty of help & tons of important info

Weeder

Reaction score
I feel yellow, but far from orange, and forget RED lol, lots of learning for years to come, both of us, go ahead & ask, if it's urgent can ask under video of interest I keep an eye on YouTube often unlike here, awesome forum though plenty of help & tons of important info
So I was wondering what accounts most to making image look crisp. And again provided we light the frame properly. Is it the lens or are there any camera properties that i should look for ?

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
if crisp/detailed is a priority definitely go with 4k resolution, personnaly I dont lilke it due to being harder to edit & taking more HDD space thus rarely use it atm
if you dont plan on slow motion then can pick 30 or 24fps to lower HDD space, have easier editing & better light sensitivity(less noise in low light)
lens & camera used is definitely a factor, but I would start with whatever is around like newer model cellphone (thats what I did)
older Sony a6300 a6500 & newer a6100 a6400 a6600 captures 6k video & shrinks it on the fly into 4k 24fps file which looks extra crisp & vibrant compared to just 4k
I tried a 1080p test where some of the footage was 4K downscaled (shrunk) to 1080p, there is a difference but it's not enough for me to bother with

Weeder

Reaction score
Believe it or not but it's the kind of video that I was looking for a few days ago, but i just did't know what to type in to find it haha.
So yeah definitely helpful and cleard a few of my concerns.
We pretty much accepted the fact that our budget is not going to cut it, so I was thinking of buying Canon 2000D body + a cheap prime lens ( hopefuly both used if I find a good deal somewhere).
And the question is - If we are going to be shooting in a well lit room, is buying a prime lens going to make a noticable difference compared to the kit one?
Thanks a lot again for taking time to answear my questions : ))