Should I tag my videos in multiple languages?

Amphioen

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I was wondering if tagging in multiple languages might help my videos getting found. Or am I just setting people up for dissapointment, because my video isn't the same language as the tag they searched for.

Reactions: VladNomadYouTube

KidsCorner

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've done some testing with it but not really great results. If I would try again I would create subtitles in the other language, descriptions and tags as well and than do that for several videos in a series to see if language requires authority as well to get strong in it.

AM2PM

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Nothing wrong with trying it out. Do you feel like your videos will do well with people who speak that different language, or are you trying to get more views regardless of language?

Reactions: VladNomadYouTube

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I don't do tags in foreign languages on my English page, but I do translate my videos into all possible languages available via the YT interface. 55% of our views are from international, I want to make sure the algorithm has all it needs to serve the videos up in those 90+ countries, should someone search there for matching tags.
I highly recommend you translate.
Here's advice straight from the horse's mouth:
"Additionally, you can offer translated titles and metadata for your videos, which may help surface them when people who speak other languages search for those keywords. Offering localized titles and metadata can improve the discoverability of your videos in search results and what’s suggested to viewers across the platform, especially when coupled with translated subtitles."
from: creatoracademy.youtube.com/creatoracademy/page/lesson/captions#yt-creators-strategies-3

The 'what’s suggested' is a potential gold mine of views if you can place on suggested on a popular video in a foreign market with low competition, since you translated your meta-data, but your competitors did not.

Reactions: KidsCorner

Political Junkie News

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
You should. I've done it in German and Spanish a few times and people find some of my videos that way.
However, I would only recommend it if you've included proper subtitles for said language.
There's no point in attracting a spanish audience if they can't understand you.

KidsCorner

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I don't do tags in foreign languages on my English page, but I do translate my videos into all possible languages available via the YT interface. 55% of our views are from international, I want to make sure the algorithm has all it needs to serve the videos up in those 90+ countries, should someone search there for matching tags.
I highly recommend you translate.
Here's advice straight from the horse's mouth:
"Additionally, you can offer translated titles and metadata for your videos, which may help surface them when people who speak other languages search for those keywords. Offering localized titles and metadata can improve the discoverability of your videos in search results and what’s suggested to viewers across the platform, especially when coupled with translated subtitles."
from: creatoracademy.youtube.com/creatoracademy/page/lesson/captions#yt-creators-strategies-3

The 'what’s suggested' is a potential gold mine of views if you can place on suggested on a popular video in a foreign market with low competition, since you translated your meta-data, but your competitors did not.
Interesting that you add so many languages, I assume you translate it with google translate? Do you notice any effects in search results where you see more foreign search hits?

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Interesting that you add so many languages, I assume you translate it with google translate? Do you notice any effects in search results where you see more foreign search hits?
Yes, G translate. but I've also been "collecting" foreign tags for the last few months.
Also, if you stick a foreign tag in Tubebuddy, it gives other recommended foreign tags.

Some interesting things I've noticed:

Traffic from countries with higher CPC (than the US) is increasing
Getting more and more comments in foreign languages, quite a few in Arabic, where we have over 6% of traffic from.

It's a lot of extra work, but I've been going through the Creator Academy courses, and the three important things I've taken away from them is: increase session times, have a professional channel, go international.

Last edited:

KidsCorner

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yes, G translate. but I've also been "collecting" foreign tags for the last few months.
Also, if you stick a foreign tag in Tubebuddy, it gives other recommended foreign tags.

Getting more and more comments in foreign languages, quite a few in Arabic, where we have over 6% of traffic from.

It's a lot of extra work, but I've been going through the Creator Academy courses, and the three important things I've taken away from them is: increase session times, have a professional channel, go international.
Thanks for the feedback of your results! I checked a few of those Academy courses in the beginning but should check them again.

Kelkschiz

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I do it. It gets me some views. Nothing massive, I get perhaps 5 percent extra views because of it.

PositivelyBrainwashed

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score

Thanks for all the tips. I really see your channel reaching 100k subs and beyond in no time. I'm curious exactly what procedure you do to translate to other languages. When I create closed captions in English, it takes me near an hour for an 8 minute video. I can't imagine doing this for several other languages.